Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Opek VU 1501 Help

Reviews Summary for Opek VU 1501
Opek VU 1501 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $87.14
Description: 2 meter 440 dual band mobile antenna

You can write your own review of the Opek VU 1501.

AI5Z Rating: 3/5 Mar 8, 2015 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Top Heavy & Tall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is top heavy with wind loading at highway/interstate speeds (40 to 75 mph).
It MUST be used with a heavy gauge mounting plate and for a pick-up truck, a stake mount bracket or a custom made bracket.
It does perform and sounds good.
Fold over capability is nice (for garage kept vehicles) but be sure to mount the antenna fold over action towards the front of your vehicle.
DO NOT mount this antenna on a single 5" mag mount, however the larger multiple 3 or 4 mag mount combos might work.

Performance: Good to excellent
Workmanship: OK fold-over spring, weak spring)
-Fold over capability: Nice
-Coils: OK (would like to see better material used other than plastic)
-Set screws: OK
Appearance: OK (a little tall for my liking)38"
Power rating:Good to excellent (150 watts max)
Gain: Good to excellent (144 to 148: 5.0db, 440-450: 7.6db)
Durability: To early to give an honest review.

KC8TFL Rating: 3/5 Dec 21, 2011 10:02 Send this review to a friend
decent antenna but didn't last long  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one of these antennas used it for about 6 months before center coil/trap? broke. at first I had trouble with it folding over on me but found the solution was to have the antenna pointed just forward of vertical. as I had it mounted on a trunk lip mount on my trunk I could see it in the mirror. every time I hit a bump the fold over would come out a little bit and the wind load would not let it fall back in. After pointing it slightly toward the front of the car, into the wind and barely even noticeable visually, I have never had this antenna or the diamond sg7900 I replaced it with fall over again.

AA8GK Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2010 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine at the L'Anse Creuse (Michigan) Amateur Radio Club swap a week back for $40 as it was a display model. So, great price.

This antenna is quite heavy compared to any other dual band antenna I've owned. I mounted on the roof of my Jeep Laredo, drilling a hole through the sheet metal to accommodate the mount. I instantly saw a great deal of movement in the sheet metal and the antenna. Found a scrap piece of 1/8" steel to install under the roof of the car, the mount going through a corresponding hole in the scrap steel and the roof. The mechanical stability improved 100%.

While the fold-down ability is nice (in theory) I soon found that highway speeds would fold the antenna over just fine, and I mean speeds of 65-70 MPH. So, I cut a 3" piece of heavy duty shrink tubing and shrunk it over the joint. I hate having to do something like that, especially since it looks so cobbled. Even more, I don't think that I should HAVE to do that, thus the 4 rating.

The antenna definitely hears and plays stronger than any other vhf/uhf antenna that I've used. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

WA1SFH Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna. Stay under 78 MPH  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna has been a BIG improvement over my previous tri-bander from Austin Antenna using the same mobile radio (Kenwood:DM-710)
- It "hears" better.
- It allows me to hit repeaters from places where I could not even hear or work them previously.
WARNING: The antenna will automatically pop-up and fold over at speeds above 78 MPH.

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2010 14:48 Send this review to a friend
It's been a successful run!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Opek VU-1501 for several years, having purchased it from Eagle One Communications of West Virginia. I immediately noticed better reception and longer transmit range than the antenna I was using at the time, a Diamond antenna with slightly less gain (and a little shorter), but it's been so many years, I can't remember the model of the Diamond antenna for comparison purposes. From the moment I installed it, it was a great antenna. I did have problems with the foldover giving way while driving down the highway, but a small screw-clamp (hose-type) tightened around the plastic fixed the problem permanently. Alas, nothing lasts forever- one too many drive-through roofs took it's toll. I'm trying to find a replacement top coil now.

To WK2X, I heard a limited number of antennas made for the Japanese UHF band slipped through without getting caught. You probably got one of those by accident. They were swapping them out at no charge, last I heard about them (which was a few years ago).

KJ4AGA Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2008 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid 65$ for this antenna at the Birminghamfest and after installing the mount and radio that I also bought(Icom 208-h), I found this antenna to be alot better than my other antenna on my truck(Larson NMO150). I thought the 5/8 wave larson was the best antenna you could have for 2 meter...I was wayyy wrong. This antenna pulls stuff from alot farther away and brings it in clear. Of course it could also be the 208-H just might have a better receive than the Yaesu 2800m I have in my truck. All in all though I find this to be a great deal for the money and I don't think I'll find antenna for some time. Thanks Opek!

N7UIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2006 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna now for 2 years and havent had any problems with it. It matched up great on day one and after it tangled with my garage door opener i straightened it out and still worked great. I just don't see the point in spending mass amounts of money on an antenna thats on the outside of a moving vehicle and has a potential to get wacked by tree limbs, road debris and other overhead villains. For taking that kind of beating I give this a high rating.

N8LVR Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2006 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Well built, lower cost than competition, great SWR on UHF & VHF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My friend, KE4LQK and I both bought this antenna the same day a couple of months ago at the Charlotte, NC hamfest. We installed his antenna that same day on his car. Upon quick installation, we found the antenna gave nearly a 1:1 match on both 2 meters and 70cm. About a week later I installed my antenna, and had the same results - near perfect match on entire 2 meter band, and FM portion of 70 cm band. The SWR meter barely moves. No troubles with our antennas. Really performs great on both bands and looks great too. Highly recommended.

K8EO Rating: 1/5 Jul 15, 2005 06:11 Send this review to a friend
you get what you pay for  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these antennas at Dayton. I agree with the prior reviewer, it was extremely easy to tune,( actually it was flat right out of the package) and apparently does have great gain. The problem is the mechanical quality.
The antenna is a fold over type. The original one I bought had a weak internal spring or something, and it would fold over when you were at highway speeds. (there is no locking collar, you simply pull up and fold it over). I sent it back & got a replacement. The replacement had some quality control issues, becase the factory ran one of the allen screws on the top section in cross-threaded. (fortunatley I still had the original antenna, so I simply swapped the top section to solve this ). Great, this one dosen't fold over on highway speed, figured I was all set. However, when I was stopped & went to fold it over it snapped inside the base. The cheap pot metal inside simply snapped in two. Now it's in pieces.

Considering the fact that I only used this antenna on trips, and went through 2 of these in a total of (5) uses I would have to say that it's gar-bage'. Yep, sure, I could sent it back (again) but I will have more money tied up in UPS Charges than this POS things worth.

It's too bad, it sure LOOKS good, it's just not made that way. Based upon my experiences I would say stay away. You get what you pay for and this thing was cheap. Back to my Huster collinear for trips....

73 Ted

KC9GUZ Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2005 23:21 Send this review to a friend
pretty good deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna at the Marshall Mi hamfest a while back and so far its ben a pretty good antenna. I got it for my yaseu ft 8800 dual band mobile rig. When i first had it i had it mounted to a trunk mount but that made my signal way to directional so i mounted it on the roof on a hard mount i made up using a NMO mount and a NMO to UHF adapter. I didnt even have to adjust a thing for the bands as right out of the package it had a 1.1-1 swr all over the place. The antenna has great gain (6.5 on 2 meter and i think 7 on 440) and so far ive ben able to hit all the local repeaters and do some work on simplex.. Al in all a great deal on a off brand antenna that looks exactly like another name brand antenna that sells for 75.00 more. Only problem i had was i broke my NMO hard mount last week after i was tightening the mount with a pair of vice grips!!! :-(