Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ - 1721- UltraLite 2 Meter Magnet Mount Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ - 1721- UltraLite 2 Meter Magnet Mount Antenna
MFJ - 1721- UltraLite 2 Meter Magnet Mount Antenna Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $$14.95
Description: FROM THEIR WEB PAGE
You can't get out because your handheld and rubber duck radiates poorly in your automobile.
You don't want to put a big antenna on your car and broadcast that you have an expensive mobile transceiver in your automobile.
....Plop an MFJ UltraLite mobile magnet mount antenna on your car, greatly extend your range...and pull it off when you park you car and take away the thief's advantage to pick victims with antennas.
Built rugged for mobile use. Each has a tiny but powerful 1 1/8" diameter rare earth magnet and a thin 20 inch stainless steel whip.
The whip easily bends and curves to fit any briefcase, travel bag or car's glove box -- hides the fact you've got an expensive mobile transceiver in your car.
Includes 9 feet of thin, flexible RG-174U coax with BNC connector easily snakes through a closed window or door. Lightweight cables makes it easy to use your HT. Free mobile adapter included.
Handles 50 Watts on 2 Meters. 25 Watts on 440 MHz. SWR typically less than 1.5. Sleek black finish blends with any vehicle.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1721

You can write your own review of the MFJ - 1721- UltraLite 2 Meter Magnet Mount Antenna.

K3KTK Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Great inexpensive small antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it on top of my truck for 2 years and still going strong. Yes, the cable did start to back out after 8 months... I JB Welded it in and it's been fine for 15 or more months since.
I get great reception and transmission and it's small and light and easy to transport. It's inconspicuous and the magnet is rock solid (90 mph plus no problem). The small RG? cable is nice as it's easy to route in my truck, I just feed it in above the door, very easy. Handles 50 watts... Nice !

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2009 05:17 Send this review to a friend
GOOD STEALTH ANTENNA FOR THE PRICE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had this antenna installed on the lady ham's car for 3 years with no problems and excellent performance. SWR is 1.2 in the center of the band.

We installed an extra piece of scuff guard self stick plastic on the bottom of the magnet because it is so strong, it is almost impossible to get the antenna off the car to wash it. That is why people are having the cables pull out of the mount, because they are using them to remove the antenna.

KC8NZJ Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2009 20:52 Send this review to a friend
good antenna until the coax comes out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these antennas and it worked very well. YOu could hardly even see it. Eventually, the small coax did start to pull out of the base. I sent it back to MFJ because it was under warranty only to have them tell me that it would cost almost as much as the antenna to ship it back. After hours of complaining they finally gave me a break on the shipping cost. Once I got the new magnet the same thing happened. Save your money and get a regular antenna.

KK9H Rating: 4/5 Jul 30, 2007 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these to use with an HT powered APRS tracker unit because it was small, light and easy to put on and off the car. So far, I have had no problem with the coax coming loose. APRS digipeaters seem to hear my tracker just fine too.

KC0TNJ Rating: 2/5 May 6, 2005 06:18 Send this review to a friend
4 months later I'm buying a new mag-mount  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I first started using this antenna, it worked great, didn't take up as much space on the roof of the car and the coax didn't leave much gap in the weather stripping on the car door. After 3 months I started getting white noise on receive, and reports of "breaking up" on transmit. At first I didn't think too much of it, figuring my location had a lot of RF nearby. Until one day I was less than 1/2 mile from the repeater and had the same trouble. So, it was time to investigate the cause. The small magnet and the thin coax don't hold up well. Either the coax was slipping out or the insulation was pulling back. There was bare wire exposed! I was able to push the coax/insulation back into the mount housing and put some adhesive on it, but it still had a lot of white noise with it. The final solution was to buy a new mag-mount with a more rugged mount/coax combination.

Don - KCTNJ