Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna
Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $33.95
Description: Maybe the smallest HT antenna in the world that covers 70cm, 2m & 6m. Gain is: 1.8/1.4/1.3 dBi.

You can write your own review of the Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna.

G0LGB Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2010 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Compact but pretty useless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to go with my Icom IC-e90, I liked the idea of having a compact tri-band antenna that I didn't need to keep screwing on/off tips and that didn't get in the way too much when on my belt or in a pocket, with the 6m coil screwed on the stock antenna it is over ten inches long and just not practical for everyday use, on that side of things the Maldol is great, my e90 can now fit in a pocket without digging me in the arm pit or poking me in the eye.

Sadly when it comes to on air performance the Maldol is a real disappointment.
Sure I didn't expect such a short antenna to be on a par with the much larger stock antenna, I would've been quite happy with an S-point or two down, but this is SIX or MORE S-Points down!

I have two 2m repeaters nearby that I get S8 to S9 from with the stock Icom ant, with the Maldol I get S1, if I'm lucky, on tx I'm pretty unreadable.

On 70cms a very similar story, my closest repeater gives me +60db,but with this antenna I get an S3....if I move it about a bit...stand on one leg etc and again lots of noise on transmitted audio.

On 6m the thing is worst of all, I have a 6m repeater a couple of miles away, I can work it indoors with ease with the stock antenna and get full scale readings.
With the Maldol I cannot access it at all even outdoors, and for rx I barely get one bar and too much nose to make any words out.

So for a compact antenna and working close range simplex the Maldol gets 2 points from me, in all other respects you'd be better off with a random length of wet string in its place.

Its design reminds me of the stock antenna I got with my old Alinco DJ-580, the kind of semi-rigid type, that too was an amazingly lousy antenna.

If anyone has discovered an antenna for 6m, 2m, & 70cms that actually works, whatever the length, please let me know, this one is simplex only.

K5DPP Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2009 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these antennas for a VX-7R and, while I knew from the reviews there would be some performance degradation, it was not much. I really like the size and bought a second MH-511 for my other HT after using the first one. I recommend this antenna.

W7SPK Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2008 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Much shorter than the original!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The only reason I bought this antenna after reading everyone's reviews here was because I knew that it's not designed to improve signal strength but be a smaller alternative of the giant original VX-7r antenna.
Yes you will loose signal strength and it even says so on Comet's website. But it's REALLY SMALL!!!! I can actually wear my radio on my belt now without it turning upside down!
The antenna works great on 2meters and 440 but it's horrible on 6 meters. But what can you expect from a tiny ducky that's only 4 and a quarter inches tall!
If you want performance, get the Maldol MH-510 or Diamond SRH-940 or SRH-999 or MFJ-1720s.
If you want convenience, get the MH-511. I love mine and use it when I'm in town. When I'm in the country side I use the original antenna or something else.

VK4APN Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2007 21:11 Send this review to a friend
very compact option  Time owned: more than 12 months
An excellent option if you are looking for a compact unobtrusive setup. It is very ruggedly constructed and offers a good compromise between convenience and performance. To compare the performance of this very short antenna to more efficient longer antennas is futile and pointless. It is never going to win that contest!

KB8WWS Rating: 1/5 Aug 5, 2007 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Delicate antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used several different antennas with my VX-7 and have liked several of them. However, the MH-511 HT will not make my list of antennas to recommend. I had been using this antenna for about six weeks when the antenna fell off of the sma connector! The antenna spent most of its time attached to my VX-7 in a holster attached to my belt. It was never exposed to harsh weather or treatment. Upon looking at the parts of the antenna, it appeared to only be held together by shrink tape and a little glue at the base of the weather cap. I will not purchase another maldol product, nor will I let a friend buy one either.
Rob Brown
kb8wws

KB8WWS Rating: 1/5 Aug 5, 2007 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Delicate antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used several different antennas with my VX-7 and have liked several of them. However, the MH-511 HT will not make my list of antennas to recommend. I had been using this antenna for about six weeks when the antenna fell off of the sma connector! The antenna spent most of its time attached to my VX-7 in a holster attached to my belt. It was never exposed to harsh weather or treatment. Upon looking at the parts the antenna appeared to only held together by shrink tape and a little glue at the base of the weather cap. I will not purchase another maldol product, nor will I let a friend buy on either.
Rob Brown
kb8wws

WD5CCW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Does what it is suppose to:  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found the 511 to be adequate for what it is made for, but if you are listening (scanning police, fire, local frequencies) on local frequencies, then the performance really drops. I have had the privelege to check it on 2 meter against the stock antenna and could say that the performance was very close/dead heat; on 440, it had a slightly better gain but was lower on gain on 6. I keep the 511 on my vx7r all the time, but also keep the stock antenna handy for listening to other frequencies.

KC9HDZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2006 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Good for its size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Folks, its smaller then the stock antenna and will not work as well, to expect more then that is not being realistic.
For its size the stock antenna with a VX-7 stinks.
I think the 511 does very well for a 4 inch stubby antenna. Both 2meter and 70cm work fine for in town/metro comunications.
These antennas are made for conveniance and not
performance. This antenna does a good job in both areas.
If I want better peformance then the stock antenna I use my Comet SMA-3. Its works great but it long and could break easly.
When I have my VX-7 attached to my hip around town I use the little 511.

I knock one point off for not having 220 as I have found no stubby that does 2meter, 220 and 70c. The 6 meter thing is useless on a small antenna like the 511 although it did suprise me some.
Size does matter in the world of antennas.

The MH-511 does a better job then the MH-209, at least on my VX-7 it does.

WB1AEX Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2006 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Fair Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna does radiate on 6m, but as expected, its performance is a huge drop from my stock VX7R antenna. A 6 meter repeater that is 15 miles away and full strength at my location on the stock antenna, is only one third scale with the MH-511. I can access that repeater with 50 milliwatts using the stock VX7R antenna, I can barely key it with 5 watts using the MH-511. The performance on 2 meters and 440 is well below the performance of the stock antenna, but that is to be expected. I use the antenna on my VX7R when running crossband repeat with my FT-8900 station in the house. Works great for that purpose anywhere in the yard or in the neighborhood. The small size makes the antenna perfect for biking, hiking, and other such nonsense provided you stay close to who you want to talk to.

Rob, WB1AEX

KG4PTZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2006 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Good replacement duck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cannot vouch for those who say this antenna has poor 6M performance, as I only use this on 2M and 70cm. So far, it has proven much better than the stock antennas that came with my Kenwood D7 and F6, but not quite as good as the Diamond SRH77CA that I have (the Diamond is also 15" taller). It's still a solid antenna that can jab you in the side if you're not careful, but it works well and has survived a year and change with almost no wear.