Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna
Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $33.95
Description: Maybe the smallest HT antenna in the world that covers 70cm, 2m & 6m. Gain is: 1.8/1.4/1.3 dBi.

You can write your own review of the Maldol MH-511 Triband HT antenna.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2006 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Best 4 inch antenna for your HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you accept the fact that a 40 meter Hamstick won't perform as good as a 33 foot vertical, why would you expect a 4 inch antenna to be as good as 19" whip in your 2 meter HT? It's about the same ratio in terms of wavelength. I've tried several shortened antennas and the Maldol is the best compromise at 4 inches for performance and convenience. Although the long stock antenna is better, the Maldol is perfectly adequate AND much easier to handle. I feel the REALLY short ones (1.5" etc.) are too much of a compromise.

KA3SEI Rating: 2/5 Jun 23, 2006 20:02 Send this review to a friend
NOT for the IC-T90A!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna performed OK when I had a VX-7R, but it is practically DEAF on the Icom T90A! I bought a little Tram 144/440 8 inch whip which picked up signals full-scale that the Maldol didn't even hear at all. This is a convenient antenna from the size point of view, but it is probably best for close simplex work - especially if you're using the T90A.

PATRICK526 Rating: 3/5 Oct 11, 2005 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Just fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna just to replace my stock antenna for my VX-7R. I am expecting that this antenna would have a slight increase in performance as compared to the stock, but I was just dissapointed to know that it degrade the quality of the TX/RX of my VX-7R. If you would compare this to the stock antenna of VX-7R, this would definitely be a downgrade. Am just keeping this antenna for purposes of strolling around malls and parks with my friend when the stock antenna would be cumbersome to carry.

I also have the MH-209 and I did compare it's performance with MH-511, and was amazed that the MH-209 performed better than the MH-511 in most of the frequency bands.

This is just my review with the VX-7R. Take note that this antenna will vary its performance to other HTs.

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2005 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Works well for it's size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just ran a few dozen comparisons with my VX-7r and it's stock antenna. The stock antenna won almost every time (or at least there was no difference) but if the stock antenna beat out the Maldol MH-511 it was by a VERY small margin.

What's not small is the physical size difference between my stock antenna and the MH-511. The little antenna is amazingly efficiant for it's small size - it's definatly a good antenna, not just a dummy load yet it is only 4" tall. Wow!

If you own a VX-7R and are tired of the top heavy antenna, then this is the antenna for you.

I was with Greg, N0WHC when we tested this antenna on a 6m repeater about 15 miles away on the other side of town. I said: "If I can hit the 6m machine with this (from that distance, 5w and inside a car), I'll be suprised." - I hit it!

Both of us had raised eyebrows. It actually gets out on 6m?!?!?

Nice antenna & what it does for the VX-7R's looks & balance is impressive, too.

Ken KG0WX