Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | C M Howes DC RX Help

Reviews Summary for C M Howes DC RX
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Single band direct conversion receiver. (kit)

You can write your own review of the C M Howes DC RX.

G1RHV Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2005 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Overlooked and amazing fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to lust after black boxes but could not afford them. Determined to get a receiver for the amateur bands, I decided to build one!

The DCRX was available as a one band receiver. I chose the 80m version. A small circuit board arrived with all the required components. All I had to add was a variable capactitor, a loudspeaker, a battery and an antenna. Construction took an evening.

I can't sufficiently describe the thrill of hearing amateur stations from all over the world on eighty metres on this home build receiver!

Later I added the CSL4 filter kit and an audio derived meter, all assembled into a biscuit tin.

This rx pulled in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, USA, mainland Europe etc at a time when a local ham told me the HF bands seemed dead...

I have used professional receivers in the past but the novely faded. This little kit provided a thrill beyond expectations. I rate it 5/5 for value. Great sensitivity but lack of RF filtering warrants a 3/5. Overall 4/5.

Limitations:

One band
Needs a clean dc supply
Limited selectivity (AF filter helps)
Needs mechanical rigidity to avoid microphony and improve stability.