Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ 1700C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1700C
MFJ 1700C Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$99
Description: This deluxe high power Antenna/Transceiver Switch has two ceramic rotary switches that let you select 1 to 6 antennas and 1 to 6 transceivers in any combination.
You can also plug in an antenna tuner, wattmeter, linear, etc so it is always connected to the antenna and transceiver selected.
Handles 2kW PEP for 50-75 Ohm loads. Unused terminals are automatically grounded. Has SO-239 connectors. Covers 1.8 - 30MHz. 10x3x1 1/2 inches.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1700C

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1700C.

G0TMX Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2017 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Dont understand the bad press..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned this antenna switch for nearly a year now. It is connected to my HF AND antennas for 50Mhz & 70Mhz.. as a 'passive' switch, it works flawlessly on all the antennas right upto and including 70Mhz. The switching is positive and leaves you in no doubt as to which rig is connected to which antenna. I have had no issues with poor construction nor RF flash over - although I do tend to only run 50w as a normal power level here in the UK. The unit replaced 2x cumbersome 4 way SO239 switches, and I can say it has presented me with the flexibility I was after in a much neater, single unit design that I was using hitherto.. I'm very pleased with it.

W3FOX Rating: 2/5 Jul 10, 2015 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Don't Buy It  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this switch less than a year ago.. My rig runs 100watts. The switch worked great up until about a week ago. I have six antennas attached and frequently switch between them. The contacts on the switch are no longer making a good connection and have to wiggle the switch to try and an get a good connection. The problem is getting worse and worse. I suspect the quality of the contacts are not adequate for frequent switching. I would not recommend buying it. Looking to replace it with a better quality product, even if it costs more.

EI8KF Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent switch at a very good price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an MFJ-1700C to switch 2 radios, a Kenwood TS-570 and TS-850 between 2 antennae, a Hustler vertical and a Comet H-422. It works perfectly!!

I've read so many bad reviews of MFJ gear that I was a little nervous about ordering it. I checked out a couple of other solutions on the web but felt that the 1700C would meet my needs at the best price.
When it arrived I shook the package and sure enough, there was something loose inside. I opened up the unit and noticed a nut had worked loose, nothing major, a very simple and quick fix.

When I'd set it up on my desk I discovered another great advantage of this unit. I had considered adding another sensor to my LP-100A wattmeter but for practically half the cost of the conversion kit and sensor I'm able to meter both rigs through the COM jack on the 1700C. A definite bonus!

Overall I'm very happy with this switch and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

N4NUI Rating: 1/5 Jan 2, 2014 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality Assembly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my 1700C and something inside rattled right out of the box. I noticed that two of the SO-239 connectors each had a mounting bolt sticking out. Inside I found the two nuts. When I hooked up the thing I noticed a lot of receiver noise when I wiggled the "Antenna" rotary switch. I opened it again and realized that there were bad solder joints at the switch wafer contacts where the solid wire from the SO-239s were connected. Rather than mechanically secure the wire into the wafer contact hole, all the leads were just resting on top of the contacts where a glob of solder had been applied. These idiots don't seem to know that electrical solder is no substitute for a secure mechanical connection. I used some 22ga wire wrapped around the wafer contact and the SO-239 lead for a mechanical connection and re-soldered everything.

OSAGEARCHER Rating: 2/5 Dec 12, 2013 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Does not isolate signals  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to replace 2 3-way Diamond coax switches I used to switch back and forth among 3 antennas and 3 SW receivers, because of future expansion plans to add more antennas and/or more receivers.

Sadly I found the MFJ-1700C would not completely isolate signals - after switching to a different receiver I would still get signal on ones that were switched out. Not much, but in comparison to my setup connecting the 2 3-way Diamond coax switches, a lot because the Diamonds have no bleed-over whatsoever.

I went back to using the Diamond coax switches and have no problems.

WZ7E Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2012 13:51 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
This switch provides lots of flexibility and convenience. I like how it reduces messing with connectors, coax and peripheral gear.
Works well, no issues, good quality inside and out. In daily use for 3+ years.

KJ4QAN Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Quality work inside the box.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, we all know what MFJ is supposed to stand for, but I had a look inside and all the solder joints are perfect. The wiring is 14 AWG and none of the connections are over 1/2 inch long. The box is sturdy and looks like 14 gauge aluminum. It has a nice paint job and quality stenciling. The switches are the same heavy-duty white ceramic backed type I used to see in old tube radios. In short, they are quality RF rotary switches. The antenna COM connector has a CITEL 1.5kV gas discharge tube tied to ground by a star-washer solder lug, and it's nice and tight.

Something simple like an antenna selector is a key component to your station. This particular one has four screws holding the back cover on. Why wouldn't you have a look inside, just to see if the solder joints are up to snuff? You're a Ham, aren't you?

I frankly don't understand some of the reviews. Like the one that complained that there wasn't a discharge pill on all 6 ports! Do you know what a Transi-Trap is? If a solder joint looks cold, pick up your soldering iron. You'd be surprised how many surface mount components inside even the most expensive radios aren't exactly 100%. All manufacturers hope their stuff will hold together long enough to make it through the shipping systems. That's what the warranty is for, and good suppliers will take anything back that doesn't work right out of the box.

My question always comes back to: if you thought MFJ was that bad, then why did you buy it in the first place? Because the price was right? Or because you didn't want to make a simple switch box with 14 PL239 conntectors, two high-voltage rotary switches, a gas discharge tube, do the sheet metal work, and then paint and stencil it; all for $99?

No, I don't work for MFJ.

K6SRO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2011 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Could not live without it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very happy with this product for the flexibility it gives you, the ham. Any TX to any Antenna to any RX/TRX and a common I run thru an LPF and a Palstar AT2K Tuner. I even have test ports I run to a network analyzer and spectrum analyzer. For the money, a very good value. I would highly recommend this product. If you want even higher performance, get something else if you need it.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2010 04:07 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GOOD  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have several radios and a few antennas and needed something to use to connect them easily and quickly. This product did the job well.

The manual is a little lacking of detail, but I was able to figure it out. Other than the manual issue, I've had no problems and using this antenna/transciever switch has really made things simple for me.

I recommend it very much.

N7PPA Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2010 14:19 Send this review to a friend
I use it a lot - works fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have lots of antennas and lots of radios. I switch often and it works perfectly.