Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ 1700C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1700C
MFJ 1700C Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$99
Description: This deluxe high power Antenna/Transceiver Switch has two ceramic rotary switches that let you select 1 to 6 antennas and 1 to 6 transceivers in any combination.
You can also plug in an antenna tuner, wattmeter, linear, etc so it is always connected to the antenna and transceiver selected.
Handles 2kW PEP for 50-75 Ohm loads. Unused terminals are automatically grounded. Has SO-239 connectors. Covers 1.8 - 30MHz. 10x3x1 1/2 inches.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1700C

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1700C.

ON4BHQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 08:58 Send this review to a friend
NO PROBLEM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this switch running for more than 3 yrs now. And believe me, I use it!
Switch has no problem with 1 KW RF.
The only minus I have, is the location of the PL plugs.
Perhaps MFJ should make this double switch with the design as the MFJ-1701. All inputs on one side, outputs on the opposite side.
Anyway, I'm very pleased with this 1700C
73 de ON4BHQ

AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2009 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this switch for the obvious reasons. I have multiple antennas and radios. When I received the unit, I opened the case to check for poorly soldered connections, etc and found everything to be in order. Mounting the switch may prove a challenge in some cases due to the layout and size, but I had no problems. While the manual may not be the best as described elsewhere, I had no problem understanding it. Read through it first, then again as you are making the connections and you shouldn't have any problems. I have had no problems with the switch and it works as it's supposed to. A welcome addition to the shack that solved many problems.

N4NAI Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2008 15:39 Send this review to a friend
I have other MFJ products and will buy again.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the switch so I could alow 2 TX and 2 antennas. Both antenna's needed to be independent from the other and switchable beteen radios.

My first attemp at setting the switch up following the manual was less than great. I realized I was doing something wrong. One call to the help tech line and 10 minutes converstion solved all problems.

It works perfect as advertised. I would suggest a better manual with block digrams of different setups.

W8KDK

KA5OAI Rating: 3/5 Feb 6, 2008 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Gud unit after user quality control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Typical MFJ product. Works well, *AFTER* user preforms their own quality control.

My unit had one bad (open) solder connection on *each* switch. The real eye opener was when I found *NO* wire(s) to either switch for grounding the unused coax connectors. Unit is advertised as "Unused terminals are automatically grounded." After I made the needed repairs and modifications the switch works great!

Would I buy one again, of course! Because I understand what I am buying with MFJ products.... A basic unit with all the required parts so that it can be made to function as advertised, with some effort on the part of the user. Still at least $80.00 cheaper than buying an two switches and a gas discharge cartridge of unknown condition on ebay.

AB1HD Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2008 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Great product, poor manual  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As another reviewer pointed out, this device is two isolated switches in one box, but each switch has a COM (common) connector. MFJ did this so that you can have a PWR/SWR meter in-between any transmitter/antenna combo you use, which is very useful. This is not explained well at all in the manaul and the diagram is of little help too. I give the product a 5 (Great!) as it does the job and is built like a tank, but I give the manual a 2 (Needs help).

7M3CKK Rating: 3/5 Sep 12, 2007 08:26 Send this review to a friend
humm unique.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is actually (1*6)*2 switch box.

It has 2 rotary switches they are isolated
from each other. So, this manual instructs
you to tie antenna-com connector and
transmitter-com connecter by coax.

There are 2 of (1*6) switches however, there
are only one surge protection which is only for
antenna switch.

It is too unique product to understand
this product's concept but now I tied
ant-com connector and rig-com connector.
so I can use it as (6*6) switch box.
This is a nice tough switch.

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2006 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using for over a year now and it gives me no problems at all.

N4KZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2006 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my MFJ1700C more than a year ago and it has worked flawlessly. It connected my three rigs and dummy load to several antennas, etc. It's easy to use and produced no unusual SWR readings, etc.

However, its physical layout with coax connectors along all four sides can make it difficult to figure out how and where to mount the thing. I ended up mounting to the front of my operating desk for convenience and putting 90-degree coax adapters on the connectors in order to route the cables from behind the unit. I have to wonder what MFJ was thinking in how people would mount this box?

I see now MFJ is doing what it should have done in the first place -- design the switch with all the coax connectors on the rear for easy cable routing! I may end up buying one of those as a replacement because the current set-up -- while highly functional -- is a shack eyesore.

But the 1700C works fine.

W6LBV Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2005 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Does what it is designed to do  Time owned: more than 12 months
The major problem with MFJ-manufactured hardware is usually not its design, but rather manufacturing quality control (for example, see my review of the MFJ-1275, under the Interfaces heading on this product reviews Web page).

The MFJ-1700-C is well enough designed (after all, how difficult is the task of designing two wafer switches in series?). Fortunately my particular 1700-C, purchased new more than one year ago and in continuing service since then, has shown no manufacturing defects. This is apparently not the case for other purchasers. All of my experience with the 1700-C has been positive. I can recommend it, subject to the above general stipulation and with two small additional caveats, noted below.

First, there was a footprint change in the MFJ-1700 switch in going from the B version to the C. The C version is much less elongated than was the B (i.e., the C has a more nearly square case) and in the C version the fourteen SO-239 connectors are arranged around all four sides of the case, unlike along just the two long sides in the B. This will have different shack space ramifications in routing of the coaxial cable jumpers from rigs and antennas to the switch.

Second, the two wafer switches are not ceramic and the coaxial jacks are not Type N. Hence the 1700-C may not be suitable for high performance VHF/UHF work. This switch is probably more useful for operating at frequencies < 30 MHz.

There are other, higher-cost solutions for MF/HF fixed stations using multiple rigs and antennas, but this dual wafer switch concept works well. The switching (always done under no-load conditions) has always been successful in my unit (using HF-range RF power levels up to 700 watts), the switch seems not to produce SWR bumps, and no mechanical problems have developed. It�s very useful to have a 6 X 6 switching matrix of rigs + antennas always directly at hand, with no fussing with jumper cable transfers. Assuming that I could get another properly-manufactured unit, I would buy and use it again.

N2UBQ Rating: 0/5 May 7, 2005 16:16 Send this review to a friend
MFJ lives up to its reputation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Total and complete failure. I don't know how an item as simple as this can get screwed up but MFJ suceeds admirably. I have two transceivers, a receiver and 3 antennas at my QTH. Figured I would neaten things up and stop having to pull my rigs away from the wall every time I want to switch antennas/rigs. Ignored my better judgement and ordered an MFJ product to 'help'. Dead on arrival. I'll get my money back but I'm out shipping both ways and there's the hassle involved.

Given the choice between MFJ and used stuff on Ebay...go with ebay.