Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Walgreens Lifelong World Band Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Walgreens Lifelong World Band Radio
Walgreens Lifelong World Band Radio Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $19.99
Description: Chinese-made portable shortwave receiver, covers AM/FM and 7 worldwide shortwave bands.
More info: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?CATID=100408&id=prod980738

You can write your own review of the Walgreens Lifelong World Band Radio.

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2010 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Small with Good Fidelity  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just snagged two of these new-in-the-box for $5 each at the local flea market this morning. They each came in a small plain white box marked "530339 World Band Radio China." No futzing around with that stupid security plastic!

The reason I stopped by the vendor's table was that he had one playing, set on a local talk radio station, and I was impressed by the quality of sound put out by this tiny radio (one would expect tinny audio, but the fidelity was surprisingly good).

Another thing I like is the tuning indicator (a tiny red LED) that lights up when a signal is strongest from a station - nice touch. The shortwave band coverage is not inclusive, but good enough, although I wish 12MHz was there as I sometimes enjoy listening to the fruitcakes on 12160 (just as bad, but more entertaining than the nut job currently on 14275).

:-)

Can't beat this radio for $5, even though the band slider is a tad touchy and the radio uses wheel tuning and volume control. I'll be using this on my bicycle, while fishing on the pier, or while having coffee on the lanai. A bonus is that if I tune to my favorite smooth jazz FM station, tapping the AM button plays my favorite talk radio station too!

Unfortunately, the web site listed in the single-sheet manual (which provides newbie SWL tips) is no longer active. Perhaps you will be able to snag one of these locally; try looking at discount, dollar, or box-mart stores.

KE5MBX Rating: 3/5 Apr 12, 2007 22:47 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went to walgreens late one night because among all my radios in the dorm room is not a single AM/FM commecial reciever, at least not one that I want to get all wired up. I originally planned to just get a little $5 AM/FM so I could listen to NPR, but the Lifelong was too tempting.. shortwave for $20! The only other reciever I've used is a much more expensive Sony digital portable, and aside from the lack of digital tuning or presets I think the Lifelong is equal. I recommend it.

KC7JBB Rating: 2/5 Jun 22, 2005 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Cheap radio cheap performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What can I say, I am in Walgreens one evening and hanging there in plastic bubble wrap is a world band reciever on sale for $14.99. Being the weakling that I am, I snapped it up. I couldnt wait to get batteries and see if this $15 gem made noise.
It made noise alright. First let me say I am not an audio freak, because I can't tell the audio quality diferance between my Bose wave radio and the cheap Emerson copy ($19.95 Walmart)of a Tivoli sitting on my desk. That being said, this is the only radio I have ever owned that I can actually say hurts my ears to listen to. I have heard better audio out of two tin cans and a string. What can one expect?
Given the poor, very poor, audio the little radio does function well. It recieves fairly sensative on the AM band actually pulling in some of the weaker stations. On FM it will recieve only the strong local stations, and I mean strong. Shortwave is not it's stong point either, although I did recieve some of the really strong stations, and I mean the real boomers. But even these proved difficult to understand through the tiny speaker.
In conclusion, the audio is poor, the reception is poor, tuneing is difficult, there are no extra features, but the price is good. I think it's maybe worth the $15 but for a little bit more a person can get twice the radio, or should I say a real radio. For instance it is no match for the Tecsun DR-910 (about$28.00 shipped e-bay). It is now my glovebox radio. I had thought about giveing it to some young person showing an interest in shortwave listening, but then this might completely destroy a future DX'r ham operator:)

KB2HSH Rating: 3/5 May 11, 2005 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Good. But, what do you expect for $20?!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently, after reading a review on eHam, I was intrigued enough to go down to my local Walgreen's to buy one of these. Now...according to RadioIntel, the reviewer had 3 issues with his Lifelong that he wrote sternly against. I had none of these issues with my unit. OK...to be honest, the radio gives out odd heterodynes and exhibits hand-capacitance when tuning the unit. But it isn't so bad that it's truly defective. In a few nights use (this radio is decent for listening to FM during the day), I have heard BBC World Service, WWV-15MHz, Radio Havana Cuba, Radio China International, Radio Netherlands, Radio Taiwan International, Deutsche Welle, the various US "Bible Thumper" stations, Radio France International, Radio Marti, and so many more. For $20 I was shocked. It isn't as bad as some would let on. And the best part is that with the radio being available at Walgreen's, if you don't like it, you can return it.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. A digital display would've been nice, though!