Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Swan 350C Help

Reviews Summary for Swan 350C
Swan 350C Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $350.00
Description: A 350 watt transciver covering 80 through 10 meters.

You can write your own review of the Swan 350C.

K7DAA Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2014 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Great old rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 350C as a 16th birthday present from my grandfather, who was never a ham, but who understood my radio passion. It was a great rig that was rock solid, and didn't drift at all after a decent warm up.

The only thing I ever really missed was the lack of an RIT, which would have allowed me to better follow the others that either drifted badly, or those who could never quite figure how to zero beat an SSB signal!

KC5EJT Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2008 10:59 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is a great example of efficient design using 1960's technology, something the average guy could afford. Some very clever design techniques. But no, it doesn't compete with todays radios, and you do have to TUNE it and it won't splatter or cause TVI.

A VERY solid design with NO technical issues except VFO drift with age. Most guys tackle this the wrong way, it's frequently a problem with the VFO bandswitch, it just needs cleaned.

The one I got has the reverse Sideband option installed, but I can't imagine I would ever use it.

Excellent receive selectivity, not as good as collins, or a modern DSP rig, but fantastic selectivity and sensitivity for a 60's vintage radio.

Appliance operators, and CBer's won't like it but it's a great vintage radio for real HAMS. And they can be had pretty cheap on Ebay these days.

N5RNY Rating: 1/5 Oct 30, 2006 14:54 Send this review to a friend
doesn't compete today  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought one of these about 20 years ago, it drifted badly, had poor filtering on tx and rx, and as I recall, only did CW and normal SSB (no reverse SSB).

I had to run an inline filter to keep it from 'wrecking' all the electronics in my house, including my alarm system. I earned my 'WATTS' award running this radio. (WATTS=Worked all Televisions, Telephones, and Stereos)

Also, ops who were 30 kc above or below me would qsy to my freq just to tell me (sometimes nicely, sometimes not) that I was splattering badly. Yes, I 'may' have improperly tuned it now and then, and yes, it 'may' have had some technical issues, but hey, modern radios dont do this crap! And talk about wide receive...NO filtering whatsoever! Traded it off, never looked back.

Interesting boat anchor, but dont put it on the air.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2006 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Solid, basic, dependable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
From 1972-73 a 350 was the club station for K0UDL, NW Mo State University's ARC, courtesy of one of our members,(K0TR). It's not a fancy radio, but it was built like a tank and had that crystal clear audio quality that the OT's will recall. Running a dipole at (maybe) 20 feet, we logged a lot of time on the 350. As I recall ours didn't have either a CW sidetone or any signficant filters. No matter, for SSB ragchews it was a definite winner. This was the jeep of radios; no frills, but you always got where you wanted to go with a minimum of fuss.

WA6IPD Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2005 14:03 Send this review to a friend
A great radio in the 60s a great radio today.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Swan 350C was one of the best in its day, 350 watts 80-10 meters. The above photo is my Swan which I purchased new in the late 60s, I picked it up at the factory in Oceanside CA. The cost was $350.00 with the matching 117XC power supply and it was as small as some of todays rigs. They used television sweep tubes as finals and some amateurs had problems burning them up during tune-up, but I never had that problem and the original tubes are still in mine. The 60s was a very exciting time in amateur radio for many of us, up until the 350 I like others had built all my receivers and transmitters but now I was working stations I could only dream about working on amplitude modulation. Each night I ran phone patches for the men in Antarctica and when we went to the moon I ran patches for the men on the recovery ships in the Pacific, the 350 opened the world to us at a cost everyone could afford. Its a great radio, reliable, fun to use and played an important part in the history of amateur radio.