Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Gem Quads Help

Reviews Summary for Gem Quads
Gem Quads Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $339.00
Description: 2 element spider support quad
More info: http://www.gemquad.com

You can write your own review of the Gem Quads.

W7UIV Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2001 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Initial information  Time owned: months
In my quest for an antenna I could "sell" to the homeowners association as "portable" to use in my CC&R area I arrived at the GAP Challenger, which is working well with no challenges coming from the association. I needed an antenna that would work as well ground mounted as on a roof, and not require the support of a cement base. The covenants plainly state no roof mounted antennas, and none attached to any permanent part of the property. A cement base, I am told, is considered permanent. But driving a base into the ground, or digging a posthole to set in a piece of PVC pipe that the antenna slides down into, is not permanent.

With a desire for some portable kind of beam, and through an ad on this site, my attention was drawn to the HEXBEAM, which I am still considering, but which is still somewhat a "compromise" type of design. A two element quad is no compromise, and from many articles and experiences you will find that a two element quad is about equal to a three element yagi. Not only that, but they are quieter and more broadbanded in each band then a yagi. I had heard of these spider design quads but never paid too much attention until my current need of something lightweight as this came up. Don't know the price or where to order yet, but have sent off an email for prices and distributers as of today. Will report back as I go.

Jim, W7UIV

K5PSO Rating: 3/5 Mar 13, 2000 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Anyone familiar with these quads?  Time owned: unknown months
Anyone have one of these and want to tell me about it? Dan, K5PSO e-mail me dnyboy2k@aol.com Thanks & 73