Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-20M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-20M
Astron RS-20M Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $130.00
Description: 13.8 VDC, 20 A Linear Power Supply (with separate volt and amp meters)
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-20M.

KE5SMH Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2009 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Mine's an ugly stalwart  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my RS-20M off Ebay in a liquidation auction of a business (Uniden it appears based on writing on the unit itself). It looked a little ugly in it's Ebay picture, so you KNOW it will look really ugly in person!

Anyway. It did. Lots of dents, scrapes and scratches, but I got it cheap.

Despite all the damage of a long abused life, the unit performs perfectly day after day!

You can't beat Astron for reliable, reasonably priced, quiet power supply duty... and you don't have to buy them in the "ugly" edition!

K5AEH

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2008 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They are selling on eBay for around $80.00. If you don't mind the weight and size, a heck of a deal. As stated, a solid performer. The meters are cool to look at but I would not spend the extra money for the M model.

VE3RAW Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2008 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - Solid Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Astron 20M as well as two Astron RS-50M Power Supplys, and am looking at a 70M. These supplies never fail, and simply keep on running.

Output is solid, with no flucuations at all.
They are built to take the punishment of day to day use. Output is clean and silent. What else could you ask.

I use the 20M for miscellanious smaller items today, but at one time powered a 100W transceiver. Only use for smaller items today as I have the larger 50M's for the work.

If you are looking do not hesitate.

W1LDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2008 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Well Built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These power supplys are built like tanks.I use it to power a 100 watt radio and it does not break a sweat.Buy one!

KB3DBF Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2008 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Great supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this supply to run my dual-band Icom 207H. I must have a newer version as both meters are back lit which is a nice feature. I've read other reviews that coomplained about lack of back lighting.
I have no noise problem or vibration that has been noted by some. Even with my SWL gear right next to the supply.
I am very happy with the supply.

AB4D Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2007 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Does the job but noisy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this supply used a few years back. It works good but it is physically noisy and vibrates quite a bit. I would have given this supply a 5 except for the noise issue. I also own linear supplies from Daiwa and Yaesu, neither is as noisy as the Astron, with the Yaesu FP-800 being the quietest of the bunch.

N2UOG Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2007 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this power supply since first licensed in 1993 and it's been running perfect ever since. I use it to power up my Icom 275-H FM 2 meter radio 100 watt radio. Works great!

W6TH Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2006 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Subject to RF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this Astron RS-20M power supply with an end fed half wave antenna for 20 meters. The power supply kicks off when on 20 meters running over 50 watts due to RF getting into the supply. This happens only on the 20 meter band and no problem on any of the other bands.

As I key the transceiver the volt meter kicks up to 14.3 volts, the power supply turns itself off. This function is normal and is protective of my radio not to take a higher voltage which can damage my transceiver.

This problem is not of the power supply and shows it is doing its job; therefor I give the supply a 5.

Some say the meters are not popular to them, but I love the way the current meter fluctuates back and forth when keying, keeps me amused, HI. This supply gives the service and is handsome on my operating table. Sold all my Switching supplies and no hash with this baby.

N4MWY Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2006 13:04 Send this review to a friend
it powers my Icom IC 7000  Time owned: months
Does a fine job-no problems. I have it powering my Icom IC 7000 which is mostly used as a 2 meter rig and a backup hf rig.

Like having the meters although usually there is nothing going on for them to tell me about.

n4mwy

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2006 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Sits here and powers my radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What can I say? It sits here and powers my radio. My floppy drive lives on top of it. The meters tell me what's going on (typically not much) and it doesn't buzz or anything. My laptop is about 2 inches away from it, no problems. My rig is about 6 inches from it, no problems. I say, don't fool around, just get an Astron.