Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Diamond KR-400 Mount Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond KR-400 Mount
Diamond KR-400 Mount Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Heavy Duty Mobile Trunk Lip Mount

You can write your own review of the Diamond KR-400 Mount.

GI6MTL Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2011 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now used this mount on two vehicles over a number of years with no problems, yes the paint did flake off but all I done was take the mount off the car, take it apart and wire brush it down and respray it, it only takes a day or two to do this. I've used numerous antennas of various lengths and weights with this mount and it's made no difference to the mount at all, it hasn't failed me yet!. I'm now considering purchasing another one of these mounts for another antenna because IMO they're that good. I would recommend this mount to others.

N6CAZ Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2007 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Expensive, but decent mount  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 3/8" stud mount version, and it's been a good strong mount with hamstick antennas. I've even driven freeway speeds with the 40M version as well as a stainless steel 102" whip antenna.

My installation used the Icom AH-4 wire tuner, so I replaced the coax at the feedpoint with insulated wire, and it worked fine for almost two years with no maintenance.

After deciding to move the mount to a new vehicle, I wanted to replace the 3/8 thread stud with an NMO, and found the option to be barely less than a whole new mount. Just as with a lot of radio equipment, I think accessories are often overpriced.

At that point I did decide to go with the lower profile (and lower strength) K-412C mount.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2007 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Happy with mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years with an ATAS 100 mounted on the top of the passenger side door. Use a little NoAlox type grease on the bolt and connector to prevent corrosion and make a good connection. Also, use a little metal strip between the mount and the car body to help distribute the force of the set screws. Leave one set screw to go all the way into the metal.

It is in a harsh environment so a little TLC once in a while will keep it going a long time.

N4ABA Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2007 19:34 Send this review to a friend
200K+ Miles so far....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hmmm...lemme see....bunch of antennas so far, the ATAS100 (decent HF compromise mobile antenna), a Comet HF multiband (ugh..) and bunches of Hamstik whips (mostly 75m since the ATAS doesn't cover that band)...the two K-400 mounts I've had have performed well. One went thru a wreck when a kid ran a stop-sign and I center-punched his car with my Volvo...the mount w/ATAS100 bent the trunk lid a bit, but did not fail. Maintenance is like any other non-"punch a hole" mount....re-tighten every couple of months and make sure that connections are clean. Better than other mounts I've used. Punch a hole if you can...if not, the K-400 is a good alternative.

AL7I Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2007 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine in Alaska  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this mounted to the spare tire bumper on the back right corner of a 1992 Jeep Wrangler. It's been on there since the summer of 2003 and I haven't had a single problem with SWR, corrosion, coax, or anything else. Prior to mounting I marked the locations where the set screw's would go and drilled a very small pilot hole in each to ensure good ground contact. I live in Juneau so this mount has also taken it's fair share of weather abuse, especially in the winter. Good investement as far as I'm concerned.

K6SDW Rating: 2/5 May 23, 2007 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Not reliable  Time owned: months
Along with the Yaesu ATAS 120A, both went in the trash!!

A huge waste of $$$

73.....

N0XAS Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2006 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Tough!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine several years ago. It replaced a similar Comet mount that failed due to the use of aluminum parts where there should have been steel. The Diamond has been great, rock solid on 2 vehicles now. Yes, the paint flakes off, which is why it gets a 4 and not a 5 from me.

I like the fact that it's adjustable on 2 axes (did I say that right?) so I can get my antenna vertical on pretty much any mounting point. The Comet didn't do that either.

K6SDW Rating: 1/5 Aug 8, 2006 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Enough is enough!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been fighting this mount for two years using it to hold a Yaesu ATAS120 screwdriver....when it stays together it works as advertised, but between corrosion buildup between the joints (thus losing my ground connection between the antenna the vehicle frame!!)and the DAMN bolts constantly coming loose, I would recommend staying away from this poor design.

73 All

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2006 22:54 Send this review to a friend
The best trunk lip/hatchback mount money can buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my K-400 (that's the correct model number, BTW) for about six years now. No failures, no paint flaking, just a very solid mount that is adjustable in more ways than any other. This will work on any vehicle and work well. The RG-174 coax supplied makes it easy to hide away the feedline and at the short lengths used loss isn't a problem.

I've got the UHF (SO-239) connector version of the K-400. I've used it with some *BIG* antennas including the Diamond CR-224A and the Maldol HMC-6S. I have no idea why others had problems.

I've used this antenna on the hatch of a Ford Escape and on the trunk of a Geo Metro. In either case I could adjust the mount to make my antenna vertical and secure.

I highly recommend this mount. There is none better. It's expensive but it's well worth the investment.

KK8ZZ Rating: 3/5 Dec 21, 2005 18:34 Send this review to a friend
flaking paint  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine have held up well electrically, but the black paint tends to flake off in winter weather (salt spray, probably) and make the mount look REALLY ugly after less than a year's use. I've had 2 that have done this....