Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack TX and RX Telescoping antenna model# 20-006A Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack TX and RX Telescoping antenna model# 20-006A
Radio Shack TX and RX Telescoping antenna model# 20-006A Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$15.00
Description: Radio Shack 1/4 Wave Telescoping Antenna recieves from 25MHZ-1300MHZ. Transmits on 144MHZ/220MHZ/440MHZ Ham Bands or from 130MHZ-530MHZ
More info: http://radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack TX and RX Telescoping antenna model# 20-006A.

KK4FKS Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2012 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Went to Radio Shack looking for a SMA-to-BNC pigtail for connecting my FT-60r to my home bre Yagi...Even though the guys working there had no clue what a pigtail was even after explaining it to them...I decided to do as I always do and look for myself. During my venture I ran across this telescopic antenna and thought to myself I wonder how this would work during my camping and hiking adventures...It out performed my expectations and found it's way into my inventory for daily walks and hikes with my little Yaesu...$15.00, is a price I couldn't pass up. SWR level with just the top four sections extended were 1.1 - 1. Exactly what I was looking for for my HT... 73

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Sleeper 2M antenna GREAT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I go hunting I carry this collapsed as an emergency antenna along with my 2Meter HT. Vastly superior to a rubber duckie.

If you extend the joints above the black loading coll ONLY to four joints it will be tuned at 1.2:1 for 2meters. Great RX and TX, and it is inexpensive. When I hooked it up to an analyser I was amazed that a RatShack antenna could be so good

Just remember to mark and ONLY extend it four joints ABOVE The black loading coil thingie.

OLDWORLDER Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Really good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little gem was an impulse buy but I don't regret buying it. I never expected the Rx/Tx to be so good. It is comparable to the Diamond RH77CA and for the price I would encourage anyone looking for a cheap telescoping antenna that is worth more than you pay for it to buy this little diamond in the rough.

KE7TMH Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2008 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Better than better.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, the fact it is tuneable is a mixed blessing. Outstanding as a scanner antenna. I have bought other aftermarket antennas that have been shoved at me at radio shops that are not as good as this at TX and/or RX. I like it and I get better overall results than with duck or "better duck".
The bad: Unwieldy heavy, fragile in appearance, and I am always scared that if it falls with my little ht, the antenna will take the connector off the radio, leaving me with a paperweight.
That having been said, if you're careful, you will have a good experience, but it is something that you must think about at all times.

KB2NAT Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2008 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Good, but with limits  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna does better at any specific frequency than a rubber duckie. Since it's tunable, it's far more sensitive at the freqs for which it is tuned at the expense of the frequencies for which it is out of tune. Hence, while strong in one area of the frequency spectrum, you may miss other xmsns in areas which you've detuned. Another negative is that one must be careful since the antenna is larger and can induce more (and plastic damaging) torque on the antenna input jack. However, with the aforementioned stated, the antenna does a very nice of bridging the gap between a duckie and dx antenna. It also can transmit (10 watts). I always keep it on hand with my portable scanner. It is definitely worth the $15.

W4JBM Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2008 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Drastic improvement over a rubber duckie  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this to use with a Sony WaveHawk scanner where I'd lost the rubber duckie (during a move). The combination is unbelievably more sensitive than anything else I've got that's not way up in the air. Since then I've found the rubber duckie and also tried the telescoping antenna on my Bearcat 245. One VHF, I can hear police traffic from a town about twenty miles away indoors with a consistently strong signal. With the rubber duckie, it's not there with the Bearcat and is too weak for regular solid reception with the WaveHawk.

To be fair, it's a lot bigger and more fragile than the rubber duckie, but for any scanner application where I'm not going to be wearing the radio on my belt or having it knocked around I'll be using this antenna.

KB3GJP Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2005 15:43 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is exellent on Transmit 1.25 meters (220mhz) and above average on recieve. I own two.