Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-201B Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-201B
 Kenwood TM-201B Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 144.000 to 147.995Mhz FM Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-201B.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Great older rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the 201B and the 401A (matching UHF) rigs. I bought these when they were new. The 401 came with two brackets, one for each side, to join to the 201 giving VHF/UHF in a convenient package.

These are both solid radios. The major problem today is tone access requiring installation of a board. I put a board in the 201 shortly after purchasing it and it is accessible from the outside of the case via a carefully cut hole. The 401 has an internal board making changing the tones more difficult. This isn't a problem for me as almost all the UHF repeaters use 162.2 access.

These are great old radios, albeit only 6 channels. You don't need a lengthy manual to program them and there are NO menus! Just solid equipment. The biggest drawback is needing two external speakers. (I have been too lazy to build a mixer box.) If you can find one at a good price, they are well worth a second look.
Pete

KB2VYZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2007 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a really great radio. I purchased mine to use specifically for APRS and the radio has worked flawlessly.

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ

N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2006 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Good radio still  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a great deal on this radio and decided to pick it up. I was looking for a backup/skywarn use radio. While I chose not to use it for that due to the PL tone board only allowing for 1 tone at a time, 2 if I can find the optional second board, I played with it for a few days, loved it and it has a very hot receiver so I put it on packet. It's a keeper. My backup voice radio was on packet so now I have that back and this kenwood 201B is on packet and doing the job as good as anything I've used. It hears great and I had great reports on it while using it on voice where I could. It's very simple to use, I didn't even need to look at the manual and I set it up how I wanted. It's nice and solid too. It doesn't have a built in speaker but it will take almost any standard communications speaker and where I have this on packet, I didn't need a speaker anyway.