Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Collins 75A-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Collins 75A-1
Collins 75A-1 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $375.00
Description: HF Receiver

You can write your own review of the Collins 75A-1.

W7MBR Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2012 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Way ahead of it's time  Time owned: more than 12 months
To my memory the Collins 75A-1 and 51J receivers were the only two in the late 1940's with a crystal controlled first conversion oscillator and precision PTO. Another Collins first. It would be the late 50's or early 60's before anybody else would catch up with them. Stability and a 1 KC dial readout was outstanding for the day. Also selectivity and sensitivity were among the best of any of it's peers. Some will say it fell a little short on audio quality. Perhaps a little on AM (a matter of opinion) but I feel the copy on CW and SSB was better than most of the receivers made in that period of time. Beautifully built with quality components, it was and still is a real American Classic! I give it a 5 plus.

W3RXO Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2009 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Very competent AM/CW receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned mine for 4 years before it sold along with my Johnson Viking II. It was a rock solid performer, for AM use, and quite capable of good CW reception. I am not a big CW guy, so I can't give you the in's and outs of it's capabilities on CW, but it always had good receive, even when the antenna was not optimal. AM, the receive was outstanding, and I'd love to find another to go with my Valiant. Currently, I run an NC 300, which is a very good receiver, in it's own right, but I miss my old Collins A-1. If you have interest in a good AM receiver, I recommend it highly.