Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters SX-62A Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters SX-62A
Hallicrafters SX-62A Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $349.95
Description: General Coverage Receiver .54Khz - 108Mhz

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters SX-62A.

KD5SPJ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2013 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Great short wave+ receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio free from a buddy who knows I love vintage radios. He didn't have any idea what it was and since I have fixed his radios over the years free, he gave it to me. I went thru it, did a visual inspection, and cleaned it.I removed and cleaned all the tubes as well. I fired it up and after a brief warm up, it works great! I have both a 10m antenna and a 50ft wire hooked to it. So far I have listened to China, Russia, ( on 15~32mc,)and the many religious stations (didn't know they were all there!) from 5.0~15mc. I have also listened to both broadcast AM and FM with great results. When a good car radio can't even hear most of the AM stations from town, this gets them all excellently! Oh, and it does do 6~40M well! I had read these weren't a HAM receiver, but it does get a good set of the HAM HF bands.

W8ZNX Rating: 2/5 Aug 30, 2007 14:56 Send this review to a friend
heavy weight DOG  Time owned: more than 12 months
why is this listed in
Receivers: Vintage Amateur

this is a SWL receiver
NOT a ham receiver

as a general coverage swl receiver
its not bad

just try to use this receiver on
20 or 15 cw

any other receiver
in the same price class
will run rings around it

mac

KD5VSV Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Great setup  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've read that the 42, 62, 62A and 62B are all basiclly the same radio so posting my review here.

I have the SX-62B version and really like this radio. Sound is excellent and have the multiplex output on the back of the 62B feeding a HH Scott 335 MPX adaptor then into a HH Scott 200 stereo amp giving me FM stereo listening. Sweet :)

This is my ham shack setup allowing me AM broadcast, shortwave, and FM tuning. I can always find something to listen to at night when I'm not flapping my lips.

I've recently added a Thoren TD-135 record player to complete the setup.

It's a keeper and daily user. Glad I bought it!

W1GFH Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2005 12:25 Send this review to a friend
A Classic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't own one but have been a fan of the SX-62 for a while, and I may someday add one to my boatanchor stable.

It has been said that the SX-62 is the SWL version of the SX-42, and the circuitry is very similar. It has coverage of AM broadcast, SW and the early FM broadcast band -- featuring the same rich "jukebox" sound as the SX-28 courtesy of push-pull 6V6 audio output.

No S-meter and no bandspread, but the classic slide-rule dial marked with cities like "London" and "Moscow" give this large, heavy receiver a unique character. Picture it in a 1950's wood-paneled den, its owner smoking his pipe and listening to news of the Cuban missile crisis.

Differences between SX-62 and SX-62A I am aware of are audio output impedance choices, with the later model offering an 8 ohm output tap.

Compared with other brands, Hallicrafters used cheap components (wax paper caps, etc.) however chassis layout is only moderately crowded and this radio is not as difficult to re-cap and restore as some others. Also note that a company called RadioDaze offers a finely-crafted repro glass dial panel for the SX-62 at approximately $38.