Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Collins 32V2 Help

Reviews Summary for Collins 32V2
Collins 32V2 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $575.00
Description: HF Transmitter

You can write your own review of the Collins 32V2.

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2007 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Smooth and stable rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 32V2 was well taken care of by it's previous owner who wanted to find a good home for it. Since my wife and I are still in an apartment and haven't bought a house yet, this rig is in storage. I did have the opportunity to use it once at Field Day 2005 when I dragged it and it's matching friend the 75A-1 out for some fun (with a little testing and variac'ing at a friends house before). It has a really nice sound on AM and was pretty easy to tune up. This is my first ever piece of Collins gear and I am proud to own it. In the next year or so, it will most likely have a spot on the radio desk. As with any boat-anchor, these are fun to operate and put on the air.

W4PTO Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2005 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Great project  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one back in the late 1990's. Serial #1776 (how patriotic). It was a total mess. But I saved it by making it into a senior project for my English major (got an A+ too). The l.v. xfmr was out of commission. I purchased a P.Dahl tran$former as a replacement. I also refinished the panel and the cabinet and replaced the MCS and KCS dials, finally aligning the PTO and baking out that moisture capsule in the PTO.
Worked well. However, this transmitter was typically built in the very late 40's to early 50's. Thus, it was prone to problems. Like a failure of a postage stamp silvered mica cap that shorted B+ to ground on a driver stage. Took me a few weeks to find it. Later, something else in the driver stage gave way. I later sold it to a buddy. I wished I still kept it.

It performed admirably when it was working. I would contact friends on 3870 kcs on the West Coast. Great audio reports until she gave out while during a QSO. Luckily I had a Johnson Valiant on the side and it took the V2's place.

If you got one in original condition, I suggest changing out the low voltage xfmr. They fail (and how do they fail...lots of tar). Other than that, it's a great classic transmitter to own and operate.