Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Palstar SP30 Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar SP30
Palstar SP30 Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$59.95
Description: Communications speaker
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar SP30.

W8HAS Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2008 19:44 Send this review to a friend
NICE CLEAN CLEAR AUDIO !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SP30 by PALSTAR finally no more listening fatigue after long hours of monitoring and working the bands with my ICOM 756 PRO III --- I was useing the IC SP-21 speaker NOT anymore! AHHH!!! The SP 30 What a pleasant speaker just the right audio responce for my ears. Just like my AT2K tuner QAULITY at its best ---ANOTHER HOME RUN PALSTAR THANKS W8HAS Harry 73,s

ELJAY Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2008 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Pleasure for SW broadcast & music listening  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mellow audio response is excellent for shortwave programming, news and music. Whether punchy rhythmic pop on Radio Havana Cuba or classical on Radio UNAM from Mexico, the SP30 makes the most of the limited fidelity of shortwave radio. Maximizes important frequencies, minimizes hiss. Combined with the Palstar R30C I seldom miss having a noise blanker. Occasionally I switch to a Radio Shack Optimus XTS3 cube, a good speaker in its own right, run through a DSP to eliminate heterodynes, and miss the fuller response of the SP30.

W8SPM Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2008 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is another Fine Product from Paul at Palstar! The tone quality is much better than the normal external speaker made by Icom-Kenwood-Yaesu! It has a small footprint and looks good with my Icom Pro3!
Nice thing about Palstar products is if you have a problem or question you can call Paul at Palstar !
His Tuners and Dummy Loads are Top Quality with Great Customer Service!

K4EQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my SP30 for five days now. It was ordered online on Saturday and arrived on Wednesday. Good service! At first I thought it had too much bass. But after a few days of listening, I love it. Guess I never realized how bad my other el cheapo speakers really were. And now, when I use the DSP on my radio, it really makes a difference. Before, I never liked to use the DSP. As a bonus, the speaker is very eye-pleasing and fits right in with the other equipment. A great buy! --Dale, K4EQ

WA8EBM Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Crisp and Clear Audio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have 2 SP-30's. One on my PRO3 and the other on my FT-2000. They replace the SoundsSweet that I switched between the radios. It is all a matter of what kind of audio you like to hear. After 30 years in Public Safety Communications I found the SP-30 to have the type of audio response I find conducive to effective communications.

KI6SZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Sounds Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Palstar SP30 sounds so much better than any of the other commercial speakers that I have in the shack (Kenwood, Yaesu, etc.). It is an excellent communications speaker!

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Value Speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I selected the Palstar SP30 for my new Tentec Omni VII, primarily because of Eham reviews and cost. The TT speaker was a lot more expensive and I just could not justify the additional expense solely to match my new Omni VII. The speaker outperforms the internal speaker for the Omni VII (to be expected) and the audio is fine for SSB and CW. Since I have not heard the TT speaker, I can't comment, only to say that I am very satisfied with the SP30.

John K4ZNC

RUSS324 Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent speaker for the price. I found it a touch too much bass. I corrected it with the equalizer in the 746 Pro and it sounds great. I really like the metal case and it matches my all Icom shack quite well. I would recommend this speaker to anyone. Russ K8QF

WM2P Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Best value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I sold hi end audio and engaged in the Audiophile hobby to excess for many years and developed a good set of ears. I am puzzled by the last review because I am bothered by speakers that emphasize the higher frequencies and do not not find these speakers to have the problem he described. In fact, I went through 5 sets of speakers in my shack and three in my car to find speakers that were more neutral sounding that what I had previously bought.

I use the Palstar 30's in my shack and think they are perfect for listening to any voice communications. Most shack visitors think they sound very good. Since their frequency response is 70-15Khz, I do not see how they would be perceived as having too much treble. But, as I learned, your hearing has a lot to do with how sound is perceived. Someone thinks something has too much bass while someone else complains about not enough bass. We each have to buy whatever sounds good to our ears. Since this is a speaker designed to reproduce the audio frequencies found in the human voice it tends to filter out the extraneous lower and upper frequencies that cause hum and hiss while letting the voice come through clearly.

HB9KL Rating: 2/5 Nov 5, 2007 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Not suitable for communications use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the SP30 (Serial No. 6731) because of the excellent ratings. The speaker has a rich low frequency response.
But to my disappointment the sound is a bit dull for communications use. The audio response is not balanced. The higher audio frequencies 2000Hz up are attenuated. In my oppinion the SP30 is not suitable for SSB and cannot be recommended.
My old little speaker (11x11x6cm) from Radio Shack has a far better balanced audio response for SSB.