Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Palstar SP30 Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar SP30
Palstar SP30 Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$59.95
Description: Communications speaker

You can write your own review of the Palstar SP30.

W7IS Rating: 3/5 Jul 5, 2009 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Needs Wooden Case  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Its an OK SSB spkr but on CW, using the lower frequency pitch notes, I found weird resonances at certain frequencies. Peaks and Nulls below 1khz. I then opened the cabinet to see what in the world was going on inside. There is no sound dampening at all. Just a spkr in an otherwise empty aluminum shell. So I added foam sound dampening material to see if that was any improvement. It improved it marginally. So my plan is remove the spkr from the goofy aluminum cabinet and place it in a proper wooden enclosure. Then use the metal cabinet for a power supply or something appropriate for an aluminum cabinet. Its certainly no good as a spkr enclosure due to the resonances below 1khz.
KC5LDO Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2009 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Best Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the SP30 with my Yaesu FT-950. It matches the radio pretty good and sounds great. It sounds a little bassy at first and then you realize you're not hearing all those annoying noises that fatigue you. I used it for ten hours straight in the NA QSO party and never got tired of listening to the radio. Price was cheap to me so it's a super value. Small size is nice too. 73,James
W9JH Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Sounds Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little SP30 speaker sounds very good, even compared to the more expensive ‘matching’ speakers offered by major rig manufactures. It's heavy for its size which I imagine is due to a relatively hefty speaker coil which contributes to the good sound.

It sounds much better than the small internal speakers on most rigs. It adds some bass and seems to get rid of some of the undesirable highs that result from atmospheric noise. Very pleasant to listen too – not fatiguing like the internal speakers can be.

A typical well built Palstar product. Not as ‘pretty’ as a ‘matching’ speaker but a better value and better sound. It matches the color of the Icom radios. I may have to get another SP30 for my other radio.

73, Jack W9JH
KE5SMH Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 22:11 Send this review to a friend
One heck of a value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the SP30 for my birthday after reading the reviews here.

I already had a Palstar AT2K tuner, so I was aware of the quality they put into their products.

I feel the speakers' intelligibility level is near my AKG K 240 monitor headphones. Very impressed.

The speaker manages to be a great communication speaker while still possessing a very warm and rich sound. It does not fatigue as much as the speaker built into my into my 706MKIIG or the AKG headphones.

If you need a quality communications speaker you can't beat this value.

W8HAS Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2008 19:44 Send this review to a friend
NICE CLEAN CLEAR AUDIO !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SP30 by PALSTAR finally no more listening fatigue after long hours of monitoring and working the bands with my ICOM 756 PRO III --- I was useing the IC SP-21 speaker NOT anymore! AHHH!!! The SP 30 What a pleasant speaker just the right audio responce for my ears. Just like my AT2K tuner QAULITY at its best ---ANOTHER HOME RUN PALSTAR THANKS W8HAS Harry 73,s
ELJAY Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2008 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Pleasure for SW broadcast & music listening  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mellow audio response is excellent for shortwave programming, news and music. Whether punchy rhythmic pop on Radio Havana Cuba or classical on Radio UNAM from Mexico, the SP30 makes the most of the limited fidelity of shortwave radio. Maximizes important frequencies, minimizes hiss. Combined with the Palstar R30C I seldom miss having a noise blanker. Occasionally I switch to a Radio Shack Optimus XTS3 cube, a good speaker in its own right, run through a DSP to eliminate heterodynes, and miss the fuller response of the SP30.
W8SPM Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2008 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is another Fine Product from Paul at Palstar! The tone quality is much better than the normal external speaker made by Icom-Kenwood-Yaesu! It has a small footprint and looks good with my Icom Pro3!
Nice thing about Palstar products is if you have a problem or question you can call Paul at Palstar !
His Tuners and Dummy Loads are Top Quality with Great Customer Service!
K4EQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my SP30 for five days now. It was ordered online on Saturday and arrived on Wednesday. Good service! At first I thought it had too much bass. But after a few days of listening, I love it. Guess I never realized how bad my other el cheapo speakers really were. And now, when I use the DSP on my radio, it really makes a difference. Before, I never liked to use the DSP. As a bonus, the speaker is very eye-pleasing and fits right in with the other equipment. A great buy! --Dale, K4EQ
WA8EBM Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Crisp and Clear Audio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have 2 SP-30's. One on my PRO3 and the other on my FT-2000. They replace the SoundsSweet that I switched between the radios. It is all a matter of what kind of audio you like to hear. After 30 years in Public Safety Communications I found the SP-30 to have the type of audio response I find conducive to effective communications.
KI6SZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Sounds Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Palstar SP30 sounds so much better than any of the other commercial speakers that I have in the shack (Kenwood, Yaesu, etc.). It is an excellent communications speaker!