Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Centaur B41LW10-50 Help

Reviews Summary for Centaur B41LW10-50
Centaur B41LW10-50 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $64.95
Description: 4:1 Ladder Line Balun
More info: http://www.baluns.com/b41lw.htm

You can write your own review of the Centaur B41LW10-50.

HAMDUDE Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2003 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked one of these up to remote mount to get my ladderline out of the shack. This thing is built to take it! Very nice quality and workmanship. A good way to go if your in an antenna challenged QTH and forced to use one wire antenna for all bands. You get the benefits of coax combined with the benefits of using 450 ohm. So far,no hiccups with full legal limit on any band. I would gladly buy another one of these any day! A nice well built piece at a reasonable price. Solid construction,and very nice quality stainless hardware.

KC4VFP Rating: 2/5 Apr 1, 2003 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Not to good with G5RV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a couple weeks of operation, I decided to do some contest work. It turned out to be a "short" contest - literally. This failure may have only been a fluke, but it happened at the wrong time.

My Centaur balun failed when used with 1200 watts PEP. This was with an old Alpha 76PA, with 22 year old 3CX400s. I could see the Heathkit 2060A antenna tuner's SWR go off-scale, and rec sens drop.

I had just ordered 3 of the latest and greatest 10kw rated CWS HBHT200 4:1 UNUN balun for a Windom and 160 meter loop, and put the spare in line to feed the G5RV.

This latest version UNUN has a 10kw rating, with a core that they claim would be difficult to saturate. The heavy gauge telflon sleeved wire looks like it can handle many kv.

The unit had to be weatherproofed before installing outdoors, something I hope will be addressed in the future.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2002 20:04 Send this review to a friend
the best...but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this balun but i would never buy another one.If you have a mosley ta33 forget about attaching it to your boom.its a real pain in the ass.its huge and hard to mount on a 1 1/2" boom.i will get the bencher balun.if they ever come out with a more feasable design i would grab it.

WB9WHE Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2001 07:32 Send this review to a friend
SERRIOUS BALUN  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
These BALUNS are big and beefy. Rated for 3 KW, and GUARNTEED FOR LIFE can't be beat! If what you want is a balun that can handle what you dish out, this is it. It will take a mismatch at 1.5 KW and not break a sweat. For only a few more $ than a Bencher or similar product, you can get one that it built to last and backed by the only lifetime warranty I have ever seen in Ham radio!

One drawback, it is 3" by 7". But if you want the best, this is it!

N9CYS Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2001 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got two of these bad boys - they are big and tough! I've had both outside for 3 years now at our cottage near Lake Michigan (it snows all winter). Each time I'm up there (skiing), I hook up the MFJ259 antenna analyzer and the antenna system performs just like it did when I put it up. Keeps the old TS-130 happy!

At home, I bought a half-square w/balun and that balun seeps, leaks and is all over the place whenever it rains or snows - no more cheaply built baluns for me.

Put this one up and fugetaboutit!

W1GFH Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2000 02:09 Send this review to a friend
Beefier Is Better  Time owned: unknown months
When the toroidal 4:1 balun in my MFJ tuner crapped out I got the Centaur. It's a hefty remote balun that matches 450 ohm line to 50 ohm coax. Outstanding workmanship. Mil spec. 3KW rated. Never had a moment of trouble with it and I expect none. This is a balun that's meant to be outside, it's built for hostile climates and the 3KW rating is more than adequate for my 100 watts. But you know the old adage about antenna components: beefier is better.