Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-50 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-50 Microphone
Kenwood MC-50 Microphone Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $120.00
Description: Kenwood MC-50 Desk Microphone

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-50 Microphone.

KA4AQM Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2015 14:34 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this mic and brand new TS-830S new in May 1983 at Ham Radio Center (in St Louis MO). Still have both. Mic has had ZERO problems. I keep it covered with little plastic baggy when not in use. If you can get your hands on one, buy it. Probably the next best mic in a long series of Kenwood mics is the MC-90. Cable has not frayed, split or otherwise shown any wear. That's 32 years of super performance...can't beat that so far!

PA9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2015 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the MC-50 microphone together with the TS-180 transceiver from a friend. It's my workhorse ever since. This mic never let me down, wondering if it ever will.
Rugged, good looking and......sounding outstanding.
I always get unsollicited good audio reports.
To me the MC-50 is not known for HF problems.
Should it bite your lip after all, check your antenne and check for good ground on your rig. Never blame the mic, because it's just fabulous!

N1ZGN Rating: 3/5 Aug 5, 2015 20:45 Send this review to a friend
mc 50 microphone wiring to kenwood ts-140-d   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ok I purchased a Kenwood mc-50 and have no idea as the wiring for this microphone to the ts 140-s?? I read all the review's on how good of microphone its is and great audio from it I wish I knew as I have no idea of the wiring the cord going to radio has the following colors yellow/white/red/black/shield

W6ZKH Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2014 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my MC-50 at an estate sale a month ago, as it was in a box full of other stuff, at the bottom...what a find. Changed out the 4 pin plug to an 8 pin, to fit my TS-440s and works and get great audio reports with it. Oh, did I mention.... I got the box of stuff for $5...

WA6PH Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2014 00:18 Send this review to a friend
Fits the TS 440S-AT...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an Astatic D-104 (lollypop) and the Kenwood MC 50 at a ham flea market about 9 years ago in San Diego. The owner had no idea if either worked and charged a whopping $3 for both. Then about 7 months ago I decided to see if either worked. Since I was working with the Kenwood TS 440S-AT, I gave it a try. At first it didn't, but a friend suggested that I try reversing the lead from the stand to the mic and walla, it worked perfectly and gave me great signal reports for readability as well as vocal clarity. I give it a 5+

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2010 02:50 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MC-50 is an outstanding microphone to use with your TS-520S, TS-530S and TS 830S. The quality of the mic is great and it produces clear and full audio. I've used one on the above listed radios for years and have always gotten outstanding audio reports. Use this mic with your older Kenwood radios and be assured to get that famous "Kenwood sound."

AC0DN Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2010 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Great natural-sound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got the MC 50 with a Kenwood TS 520s in a trade. Never thought too much to hook it up right away as my Shure 444 always got superb reports. Tried it & found it to be a very natural sounding mic. I have to bump up the mic gain a touch to equal the volume of the Shure, as the Shure seems to be a bit hotter. But the MC50 is quite natural & smooth.
I wired up a switchbox to use the MC50 on my vintage Hallicrafters rigs and the fantastic audio reports just keep rolling in! The Shure 444 is still a great mic too, but now spends more time off to the side as a stand-by mic!
I've seen the MC50 for as little as $50...what a deal!! If you're looking for a fine mic for your Kenwood, or other rigs as far as that goes, grab one.

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2010 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Classic Kenwood audio=clear and high intelligebility  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rating audio for a SSB ham radio is two-fold. What is it's tonal quality ?, how does it help intelligebilty and clarity.

Many rigs today feature digital mic tone settings that supposedly can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. The majority of hams that I have heard using this feature have tubby , phony sounding midrange and just awful bass. Yet, they swear that it sounds great. Others have such ragged highs and mid end tonal settings that you can't wait to say 73's to them. They're harsh sounding.

Now the MC-50 is not in the two former categories.
This mic ,coupled with a Kenwood transciever produces clean, crisp, slightly cool audio but with a clarity that makes it very useful in everyday ,and pile up conditions . This mic will give you audio that is pleasant to listen to. It works very well with ANY of the tube Hybrids and also most of the recent Kenwoods. Using it on a Yaesu or Icom will probably also be satisfying.

The mic is very well made, and to me looks just s-o-o-o nice. The four pin plug can be made to work with any rig easily by buying one of the mic adapters the sell on ebay, or re-wiring the mic itself. Make sure that the red dots on the mic ( two locations) line up with each other signifying proper impedance.

Be aware that the beautiful aluminum mic cover is glued to the mic's threaded body and that to remove it you need to heat the mic cover carefully ( please don't burn the plastic mic body ) and then twist off the cover several turns( it's threaded on )whilst the cover\glue is still warm. You can then clean the cover and the felt-like material covering the the element( DO NOT REMOVE!). I'd also lubricate the PTT linkage.

On my TS-830S I have the mic gain set for 4 or 5 and the processor "ON" without the processor I turn up the mic to abou 6. I get nice reports on the audio. I've heard other people using a MC-50 mic and like the way it sounds.

This is a mic that looks the way a ham radio microphone should look. A worthy addition to your shack. Since they're old , take the time to clean the mic cover and also resolder any connection Joints.

KB1KVL Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been getting outstanding audio reports on the repeater as well as the HF bands with the MC-50 mic. Everyone tells me that I sound exactly the same in person as I do on the radio and with exceptional clarity. I picked up the MC-50 mic at a flea market for $50 and got an adapter to go from 8 pins to 4 for nothing from a friend. At a later date I'll put an 8 pin connector on it. I recomend this mic to anyone. It is top-notch quality and works well with the Kenwood TS-2000 (just change the connector). I can't compare it to the MC-60 mic but I can compare it to the Kenwood stock mic and Kenwood DTMF mic. There is no comparision in audio quality. I rate this mic 5/5.

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Over 30 years of use...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have two MC-50s, one on my TS-820S and one on my TS-120S. I bought the first one new in 1979, and it is still working like new! What more can you say?
I have one recommendation, though. The mic seems to have better audio punch if you can put a cardboard tube around the element, just leaving the end exposed. I have used an old TP roll for this, combined with some black tape.