Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-50 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-50 Microphone
Kenwood MC-50 Microphone Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $120.00
Description: Kenwood MC-50 Desk Microphone

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-50 Microphone.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2010 02:50 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MC-50 is an outstanding microphone to use with your TS-520S, TS-530S and TS 830S. The quality of the mic is great and it produces clear and full audio. I've used one on the above listed radios for years and have always gotten outstanding audio reports. Use this mic with your older Kenwood radios and be assured to get that famous "Kenwood sound."

AC0DN Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2010 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Great natural-sound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got the MC 50 with a Kenwood TS 520s in a trade. Never thought too much to hook it up right away as my Shure 444 always got superb reports. Tried it & found it to be a very natural sounding mic. I have to bump up the mic gain a touch to equal the volume of the Shure, as the Shure seems to be a bit hotter. But the MC50 is quite natural & smooth.
I wired up a switchbox to use the MC50 on my vintage Hallicrafters rigs and the fantastic audio reports just keep rolling in! The Shure 444 is still a great mic too, but now spends more time off to the side as a stand-by mic!
I've seen the MC50 for as little as $50...what a deal!! If you're looking for a fine mic for your Kenwood, or other rigs as far as that goes, grab one.

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2010 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Classic Kenwood audio=clear and high intelligebility  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rating audio for a SSB ham radio is two-fold. What is it's tonal quality ?, how does it help intelligebilty and clarity.

Many rigs today feature digital mic tone settings that supposedly can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. The majority of hams that I have heard using this feature have tubby , phony sounding midrange and just awful bass. Yet, they swear that it sounds great. Others have such ragged highs and mid end tonal settings that you can't wait to say 73's to them. They're harsh sounding.

Now the MC-50 is not in the two former categories.
This mic ,coupled with a Kenwood transciever produces clean, crisp, slightly cool audio but with a clarity that makes it very useful in everyday ,and pile up conditions . This mic will give you audio that is pleasant to listen to. It works very well with ANY of the tube Hybrids and also most of the recent Kenwoods. Using it on a Yaesu or Icom will probably also be satisfying.

The mic is very well made, and to me looks just s-o-o-o nice. The four pin plug can be made to work with any rig easily by buying one of the mic adapters the sell on ebay, or re-wiring the mic itself. Make sure that the red dots on the mic ( two locations) line up with each other signifying proper impedance.

Be aware that the beautiful aluminum mic cover is glued to the mic's threaded body and that to remove it you need to heat the mic cover carefully ( please don't burn the plastic mic body ) and then twist off the cover several turns( it's threaded on )whilst the cover\glue is still warm. You can then clean the cover and the felt-like material covering the the element( DO NOT REMOVE!). I'd also lubricate the PTT linkage.

On my TS-830S I have the mic gain set for 4 or 5 and the processor "ON" without the processor I turn up the mic to abou 6. I get nice reports on the audio. I've heard other people using a MC-50 mic and like the way it sounds.

This is a mic that looks the way a ham radio microphone should look. A worthy addition to your shack. Since they're old , take the time to clean the mic cover and also resolder any connection Joints.

KB1KVL Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been getting outstanding audio reports on the repeater as well as the HF bands with the MC-50 mic. Everyone tells me that I sound exactly the same in person as I do on the radio and with exceptional clarity. I picked up the MC-50 mic at a flea market for $50 and got an adapter to go from 8 pins to 4 for nothing from a friend. At a later date I'll put an 8 pin connector on it. I recomend this mic to anyone. It is top-notch quality and works well with the Kenwood TS-2000 (just change the connector). I can't compare it to the MC-60 mic but I can compare it to the Kenwood stock mic and Kenwood DTMF mic. There is no comparision in audio quality. I rate this mic 5/5.

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Over 30 years of use...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have two MC-50s, one on my TS-820S and one on my TS-120S. I bought the first one new in 1979, and it is still working like new! What more can you say?
I have one recommendation, though. The mic seems to have better audio punch if you can put a cardboard tube around the element, just leaving the end exposed. I have used an old TP roll for this, combined with some black tape.

KC0ZZH Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2008 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Great vintage mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been using a MC-50 on my TS-130S for some time now and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. Always gets great audio reports and was constructed very well. I recommend to anyone!

K4DTC Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2007 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Very good audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this mic used many years ago, and used it with a TS830S. I bought a TS940SAT a year ago and just got an 8 pin to 4 pin adapter for it. With both rigs, I have always gotten good reports on my audio. Getting through pile ups has not been a problem either. I have never had a moments trouble with it, and intend to keep it for good. You can't go wrong with this mic.

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2007 03:36 Send this review to a friend
Nice microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one sweet mic! I found mine at a local candy store for a bargain ($50). I've seen these on eBay going for over $100 - I even spotted one that was NOS in the original box fetch $185.

Yes, it's that good.

I like the fact that you can change impedance by flipping the cable connector over. The MC-60 did improve on this by using a switch but IMHO it's just fine in the MC-50 because once you find the right impedance you don't need to change it unless you change radios.

One note - my main cable (going to the radio) was a 4 conductor NON SHEILDED and this caused a him in my audio. I had a spare cable with a sheilded mic audio line and a second sheild around the whole bundle of wires. I grounded both and the hum went away.

The reason I mention this is the fact that the original cable looked like a factory job so you might want to inspect your cable if you have problems with RF or hum in your audio.

Ken KG0WX

WY4J Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 20:09 Send this review to a friend
None Better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this fine microphone since I first purchased my TS-830S in 1982. All audio reports have always been very positive. Right now I'm looking for an MC60 to complement a TS-430S I just picked up from an estate sale.

W7DDD Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2006 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Fine mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running one bought second hand on eBay for several years with my TS-830S. Never a problem, solidly built, great reports. What else can be added?