Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Comet CHA250B Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CHA250B
Comet CHA250B Reviews: 100 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $469.00
Description: The Comet CHA250B broadband vertical antenna will amazingly cover 75/80 meters through 6 meters with no gaps! Transmit range is 3.5-57 MHz and receive range is 2-90 MHz. SWR <1.5:1. This 23.5 foot vertical requires no radials and weighs only 7.1 lbs. The antenna consists of five sections of aluminum tubing that slide into each other. The bottom section has the matching network built-in. Only two simple measurements are required during the easy assembly. It can handle 250 watts SSB and 125 watts FM. SO-239 input. Mounts on a 1 to 2 inch mast (not supplied). Rated for 67 MPH wind survival.

More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=5&childID=6

You can write your own review of the Comet CHA250B.

KT8DX Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2014 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pros:

Easy to set up.

Looks to be decent quality.

Been in use for 2 years with no problems

Good SWL antenna

I work lots of people with it on CW, SSB, and PSK31.

Low SWR everywhere.

Cons:

Um - its not a log periodic at 120 feet?

Seriously - I've had lots of fun with this antenna and it gives me the ability to work all bands reasonably well. Better than the mishmash of "long wires" I've put up over the years. Can't do much at my QTH with dipoles, G5RVs and such so this antenna has been a stress-free Godsend. There is never an evening when I can't work someone on the band somewhere...

YMMV

KC9YGN Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2013 10:26 Send this review to a friend
It's a decent antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the 250B up and running here since Feb. 2013 and it's been a reasonably good antenna. I wanted an antenna that I could get up quickly, wouldn't require a tower or extensive guying, and didn't require a lot of ground radials, and this one fit the bill.

Putting the antenna together literally took just minutes. It was fully assembled in less than half an hour. All you do is put the sections together and put in a few screws and attach some clamps and it's ready to go. The only tools needed are a screw driver and a tape measure.

SWR without using a tuner was 1.7:1 or better across all of the bands it's advertised to work on. The internal tuners on my transceivers easily bring that down to 1.1:1, even on 160 mHz.

And it does work. I generally work fairly low power (usually 60 watts or less) using PSK, and I've made contacts in Europe, South America, and all across the U.S. with this antenna.

Pros:

>Very easy to assemble. It can be put together in half an hour or less using just a screwdriver.
>Doesn't require ground radials. It's basically just a big, aluminum pole.
>Compact in size and unobtrusive.
>Sturdy. it's handled 60+ mph winds with no problems.
>Easy to mount. Mine's mounted at ground level on a 2 inch pipe driven into the ground.

Cons:

>It's a multi-band vertical antenna, which means a lot of compromises have to be made to get it to work at all. Don't expect that it will perform as well as a full size dipole or Yagi antenna.
>Can only handle 250 watts of power.
>Expense. At $350 - $400, it's not exactly cheap (although cheaper than a lot of other mutiband verticals). You can easily make your own (and better performing) antenna for a heck of a lot less money if you have the space to string up some wire outside.

PY2ONU Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antena is a good antena for little areas. iT has a huge gain as a yagi, a large vertical or a dipole but does what it says it should do. The materials are of high quality and good antenna well above location. I've made many DX with it too, make Puerto Rico and Trinidad & Tobago on 6 meters with cha-250bx, good locals qso's in 80 meters also in 40 meters good contacts and some DX in South América. In 10-12-15-17-20-30 meters already made ​​many DX contacts. If you listen to will be able to work. There is an antenna for DX professional to work pile ups or DXCC in all bands but will be able to work well and make many DX with SWR of 1:1 in all bands.

KI6OMO Rating: 0/5 Sep 3, 2013 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Temperamental  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna because I don't have the room for a beam or wire, well it is very easy to assemble I will give it that, tested the antenna on a tripod with excellent results low SWR readings from 6 meters through 80 meters, finally decided to put it up on my tower, tested out great, after about 3 months it decided to have problems, SWR's were off the scale, checked everything found no problems 3 weeks later it decided to work and have low SWR's. I would't waste my money on one very TEMPERAMENTAL.

JH1OQW Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2013 19:39 Send this review to a friend
I tried 30m band,good result  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found that 30m band with JT65HF was exciting because
I have contacted USA's(NM,GA,TX,CO)VK6,BA1,RA0,UA9
at UTC11:03 to11:50 on Apr 13 2013.

N5PHT Rating: 2/5 Mar 13, 2013 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for an antenna to take with me on camping trips in my RV. We are sometimes gone for several months at a time and set up for a
week or more so I wanted something that was not too difficult to set up and take down. I wanted something that has auto band changing so I don't
have to move or reset anything. I had mostly been using my Tarheel screwdriver antenna. The Tarheel performance is fine for being on the road
but I was connecting a coax to the tow truck and would have to unconnect everytime we moved the truck. So, something I could use portable that is compatiable with a 40 foot 5th wheel RV with autoband switching was in order.

After reading the reviews on the CHA250 I was not decided and knew the CHA250 was indeed a compromise but felt it certainly should outperform a screwdriver antenna. The CHA250 has 24 feet of aluminum in the sky. (note: I was only mounting this antenna 20 feet into the air on a pole)

I assembled it very easily and could see how portable is very possible with this antenna. I then zipped around the bands and to my delight the SWR was great from 80 meters to 10 meters just as promised! However, the signals
were very, very low. I then drove my truck around to the base of my tower and set up so I could try A/B switching at the home station (I have a tower mounted coax switch). I was using three antennas: The CHA250, the Tarheel
Screwdriver on my truck and a 66 foot random wire (sloper for 80 meters).I switched around using different inputs on the antennas to rule out any problem with coax connections. The SWR being excellent probably means the antenna is assembled correctly and working per specs.

The Comet was at least 3 full S units lower always than the other two antennas on several bands that I tried including 15, 17, 20 and 30 meters. Much of the time the Comet was 5 to 7 S units lower. Really, the Comet would be S2 and
the Tarheel S9. Huge difference bewtween the antennas. I found one station that was about 1 S unit lower on the Comet than the Tarheel but other comparisons were terrible for the Comet.

Some suggested this antenna should be grounded and/or have radials. I did not try either because it was supposed to not need them. And I would not want to use radials at a campground - the purpose of purchasing this antenna. I was surprised to find a ring for attaching guy wires - but no mention in the one page instructions on guying or if it should need guying.

And I would not have purchased the antenna if I knew it needed guying (or does it?) Comet includes a guy ring so I suspect the answer is "yes."

So, this antenna arrived at about 1 pm and was in the box for shipment back to the distributor the next day. If you want an antenna that has great SWR and can work a station or two this antenna would probably be fine. But if you can put up even a mobile antenna that seems better in my limited experiments.

The autoband switching and the ease of assembly is a plus but the performance being lower than a few dollars worth of cooper wire really lost me in this deal. I can't always find a tree at the campground for that copper wire and the use
of the Tarheel on the truck with no autoband switching is difficult but so far my best solution for RV'ing seems to be to hope for the right trees or use the Tarheel. I may end up mounting a Tarheel to the RV with an electric arm or something...the search continues and CHA goes back for a refund.

KG7AVF Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2013 08:51 Send this review to a friend
60 day update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used the antenna solidly for 2 mos now, my impressions remain positive. The sweet spot for SSB at this QTH is 15-20. 40 and 80 have a lot of loss, but are workable. I still go to my bazooka dipole for 10m. An unanticipated surprise - the lower power requirements of digital modes like PSK31 have allowed me to fully utilize the lower 30-80 bands of the antenna. I've had solid DX QSOs from New Zealand, Japan, Russia, Hawaii and Alaska, Caribbean, and SA to Brazil and Argentina with this antenna. No, it won't outperform corresponding monoband dipoles. No, it won't come anywhere close to the performance of a directional 11 element HAARP Jr. at 90 feet. Given realistic expectations and awareness of the strengths and weaknesses, it's a good general use antenna that provides acceptable performance for someone running less than 250 watts who needs to get on the air and may have QTH limitations.

KF4LVC Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2013 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Great for get-on-the-air & go!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I did some horse-trading with a friend for this antenna. My goal was to use this antenna in the various "field" setups I operate each year, particularly working with the Boy Scouts in their radio merit badge courses. I was to understand that the CHA250B was considered a compromise antenna. As an RF Engineer, I would agree that any antenna which relies on a wide-banded matching scheme would not be expected to perform well.
However, the first time I deployed the antenna, I was pleasantly surprised.
The antenna's construction is rugged and lightweight. The sections nest within each other, except the very top section. Setting up the antenna takes 15 minutes or less.
During this occasion, I set up the antenna for the BSA Merit Badge University, held at a local community college. I had to mount the antenna at ground level. The location could not have been worse; it was in a small area (maybe 20 ft by 50 ft) between 3 campus buildings, several stories high. I did not have great expectations of making many contacts. Yet, when I fired up the radio, I found that the antenna did indeed work all bands with low SWR. Better yet was the very low noise level I experienced. But I reserved my judgement until after I made some contacts.
Well, if the CHA250B is considered a "compromise", then I became a lover of "compromise" antennas after a day of great contacts. I was able to work any station I could hear with very encouraging signal reports sent back to me. I worked plenty of US stations & the Caribbean. I also had no problem working some European DX on 20M & 17M in the middle of the day. The antenna made a perfect partner to my Icom IC-7000 that day!

I really like this antenna. I know it cannot compete with large verticals or full-sized yagis. But don't let anyone tell you that you cannot use this great little antenna for some fun DX!

K0DQN Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2013 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance, low profile  Time owned: more than 12 months
General:
I've had the CHA-250B for over a year. I do a lot of listening, maybe two to three QSO's a month. 95% of the time it operates about 10 feet (3m) AGL on a Rohn 30' telescoping mast (see my QRZ page for photos). After dark, I can run up another section of the mast due to HOA restrictions. This is a relatively "invisible" vertical, and my HOA association has told me that if they don't receive any complaints, they won't push the issue.

Here in Kansas City, we get our share of "wind events" usually from thunderstorm/squall line gust fronts, and the odd tornado that strays close by. My antenna has held fast during confirmed 50kt gusts, and it just bends as reed in the wind and appears no worse for wear.

Performance:
I have a simple setup: A Yaesu FT-450D and the Comet. RX appears to me to be wonderful, but I have no basis for comparisons either rig or antenna. I have had QSO's from stations in New Zealand and Italy, hear plenty of stations calling. Limited to no more than 100 watts from my rig, and even if I could push out the 250w limit for the Comet, I can't compete with full power, BeamSmasher 6000's, so it is condition dependent.

If you need a portable vertical, or one that generally "disappears" to keep a low profile, I would definitely consider this antenna.

VE7DLC Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent stealth antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For what it claims to be, and is, it works very well. I've used it in residential neighborhoods for years, and have worked all over North America and into Japan (from the west coast of Canada). I've had the best results on 20 meters (even QRP), but also use it on 40 and 80 meter nets. Currently I have it mounted approximately 25 feet in the air. If you need an antenna that takes up little space and is unobtrusive, then this could be the one for you.