Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Comet CHA250B Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CHA250B
Comet CHA250B Reviews: 120 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $469.00
Description: The Comet CHA250B broadband vertical antenna will amazingly cover 75/80 meters through 6 meters with no gaps! Transmit range is 3.5-57 MHz and receive range is 2-90 MHz. SWR <1.5:1. This 23.5 foot vertical requires no radials and weighs only 7.1 lbs. The antenna consists of five sections of aluminum tubing that slide into each other. The bottom section has the matching network built-in. Only two simple measurements are required during the easy assembly. It can handle 250 watts SSB and 125 watts FM. SO-239 input. Mounts on a 1 to 2 inch mast (not supplied). Rated for 67 MPH wind survival.

More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/amateur-radio/base-antennas/multi-b

You can write your own review of the Comet CHA250B.

AE0DC Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2017 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Great customer Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I became a Ham in 2016 and purchased a antenna that would allow me to try out most of the HF band, with a single antenna that could be mounted on my roof (house). This fit the bill and I purchased it. I was very pleased for the first 6 month, which was through winter. As the temps outside rose, I found that my SWR ran away (Went from 1.1:5 to over 3 in seconds) when I ran above 50 watts. The higher I went, the faster the SWR rose while transmitting. Seemed heat related. I called Comet and they sent me a new bottom unit right away. I have to say that I give their customer service a 100 out of 100 ! They asked that I return the old one so they could trouble shoot for future ref. No problem. I'm sure that mine was a fluke and will report if it wasn't, but at this point I'm a solid customer and advocate for comet because of the product and their customer service ! Thanks Mick for the quick service.

N5VX Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2017 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Not thrilled  Time owned: more than 12 months
3 is probably too high, but I have made lots of contacts when mother nature is being very cooperative. I purchased the antenna for very limited space and for that, it's ok. It's not very resistant to Oklahoma winds. I call it my pretzel on a stick. I have a friend who has one too. His is bent worse than mine. Yes, we are both using guys. Just don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. There are no miracle antennas.

N2CVS Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 18:16 Send this review to a friend
keeps on working  Time owned: more than 12 months
I forgot to say that it over heated on 80 meters using JT9 at 100 watts.

Thats 50 seconds over 120 seconds or 43 % duty cycle.

N2CVS larry

KG5QHX Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2017 16:59 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna that works really well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was quite amazed as to how well it works. SWR is 1.5 or less. SWR tends to be 1.1 in the phone bands too. It is easy to put it together and it isn't too heavy or unwieldy to handle either. I used a GAP tilting antenna mount so I can lower it when the weather predicts some bad thunderstorms coming through the area. But otherwise it stays up all the time.

WB3IGR Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2016 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Well worth it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't say anything negative about this antenna. Six meters 80 meters, this is a "NO TUNE" antenna. SWR is virtually flat on all bands. And I have mine ground mounted.

KG5MNE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only have room for a light vertical due to having to mount to ladder on motorhome, but this antenna exceeded my expectations, even with the current poor band situation. Contacts East to West thus far, with only 100 watts. SWR no problem on any band. Highly recommend it!

W2FKN Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Amazing performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the vertical set-up in a clandestine fashion (HOA allows no outside antennas). Use it with a Yaesu FTDX5000 - SWR is flat! Very satisfied - Rich W2FKN

VE6CWG Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 12:19 Send this review to a friend
It Works!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got this antenna last year, have it mounted about 10 feet AGL about 25 feet from houses, 100 feet low loss coax.

To be honest, I wanted simple (first HF station, only 2 years a HAM). Did my research, and picked this as my choice.

Simply put, it is a solid 5 on the Simple and Works scale! Had it up in less than 1 hour, and was on the air to California from Alberta, Canada. Wow! Since then, I have added Japan, New Zealand, Russia, France, most of Canada and the US, Brazil and keep chocking up the DX list.

I have sunk a concrete mount into the ground and have a setup that I can take the whole thing down in 2 min (or less). And hope to try it a bit higher this summer (stay tuned). I can also grab it and use it in a portable sense (about 15 min to dismantle it), took it camping, threw it up tied to the back of the trailer, and was working most of North America that weekend.

Is it the best antenna, no, it's a compromise, I knew that going in. But the simplicity and low profile make up for that. And like I said, it does work!

KK6ZTI Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2016 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Followup on my Mar 23, 2016 01:40 Review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a followup on my review from Mar 23, 2016 at 01:40.

I'm upgrading this antenna to a 5.

Over a few hours last night and an hour today through the CQ contest pileups, I've had consistent 59 QSOs from my station in urban Los Angeles to Northern California, Oregon, Colorado, Alaska, Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Hawaii, Alaska, British Columbia, Australia, Japan, Barbados and Portugal. All contacts made with 100W on my FT-450d on 80m, 40m, 20m and 15m using the stock hand mic. SWR basically flat throughout. Most contacts responded after my first call and rarely asked for a repeat of any information.

Noting a key change in my setup made this possible. I've placed a HyEnd Allbander Line Isolator right at the Yaesu FT-450d coax feed and a Unadilla Big One HF isolator at the Comet CHA-250b coax feed point. I also removed the MFJ-931 Artificial Ground (2nd floor shack) because it mysteriously won't work once the isolators are inline. As for coax, I'm on a 100' run of LMR-400 and there's an 8 loop air-core choke of it right after the Unadilla isolator near the Comet CHA-250b feed point.

Although I find this antenna remarkable at this point, it's latest performance here probably wouldn't be possible without the isolators.

KK6ZTI Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2016 01:40 Send this review to a friend
Simple setup, sturdy, low SWR, works.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm a new HAM. This is the first antenna I've ever owned.

Took about an hour to roof mount it with guy wires. Roof is about 25' high. Location is urban Los Angeles. Tall trees and other structures nearby. Barely within a safe distance from power lines.

Running 100' LMR-400 from it to a Yaesu FT-450d in a second floor shack. Using MFJ-931 for artificial RF ground.

Low SWR as advertised. In conjunction with my 450d auto-tuner, I'm rarely above flat on all working bands. Never seen it above 3 without the tuner on.

I get great results on 80m, 60m, 40m and 20m. Getting great RX on 10m but no QSOs yet so can't opine on TX. There's rarely traffic when I'm on 10m and it's mostly local FM repeaters. I often go to websdr.org, load up in and out of state stations and hear most of what they do on 80m & 40m nearly as well, the same or sometimes better. Those stations run mono band dipoles, big log periodic and loops. Some may argue I’ve no prior antenna ownership to compare the CHA-250B to but the foregoing tests render my opinion worth considering.

I've had solid QSOs with CA, FL, NJ, NM, WA, OK, TX, Aruba, Mexico City, Baja and probably more that I can't remember at the moment; day and night, mostly during fair ionospheric conditions. Some stations acted surprised when I told them I was on a CHA-250B. Am I ever not heard or get weak signal reports, yes… just like everyone else does.

Two weeks ago we had a big storm here. Lightning struck a power line a block away, knocking out neighborhood service for about 8 hours. Winds were between 40-60MPH for many hours. The WX was broadcasting fatal hazard warnings. The tall pines outside moved more than I thought possible. Lived here 42 years and never remember anything like this in L.A. before. Was cursing myself for recently setting up a radio antenna while frantically disconnecting it from the shack, unplugging everything inside and cutting off the gas. My point? CHA-205B looks and performs like it never happened, although I doubt that would be the outcome without my guy wires and tape seals over all joints and connector points.

Due to polarity and other design characteristics, it's occasionally easier to be heard 1,000+ miles away vs. 100 miles away. Regardless, I've had plenty of local QSOs.

The only selling point I disagree with is that it's supposedly stealthy. In my opinion it looks like what it is, a 24' antenna with guy wires. There've been a string of burglaries on my street lately, some just a block away. We haven't been hit and I occasionally wonder if this thing on the roof smells like the law to unintelligent crooks. I'd prefer a less noticeable antenna, yet standard dipoles or end feds might not improve noise, RX or TX much amidst nearby obstructions.

I'll soon install a crude counterpoise of wires. Didn't realize it has pre-drilled holes for this at the base housing. Owners who've done it claim significant improvements. I believe it.

Although I was still getting out before having one, the MFJ-931 artificial ground majorly improved my TX. If you're on the second floor like me, use one. Chances are you'll realize what you thought was a antenna problem is an RFI issue.

It's expensive, at least compared to a good dipole or end fed. Then again, it works more bands than most and you won't tear up the yard installing it. If I had a big budget, a giant plot and had Army Ranger climbing skills then I’d probably operate a big yagi putting anything less to shame. Until and unless I meet the above criteria, I’ll stick with my CHA-250B.

If you still think this dummy load sucks, check out these excerpts of my six year old daughter’s QSO on 40m with four stations during poor ionospheric conditions and a 4MHz MUF propagation forecast. Two of them were in Mexico…