Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Comet CHA250B Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CHA250B
Comet CHA250B Reviews: 123 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $469.00
Description: The Comet CHA250B broadband vertical antenna will amazingly cover 75/80 meters through 6 meters with no gaps! Transmit range is 3.5-57 MHz and receive range is 2-90 MHz. SWR <1.5:1. This 23.5 foot vertical requires no radials and weighs only 7.1 lbs. The antenna consists of five sections of aluminum tubing that slide into each other. The bottom section has the matching network built-in. Only two simple measurements are required during the easy assembly. It can handle 250 watts SSB and 125 watts FM. SO-239 input. Mounts on a 1 to 2 inch mast (not supplied). Rated for 67 MPH wind survival.

You can write your own review of the Comet CHA250B.

W6KMG Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2018 00:06 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I acquired the CHA250b some months ago. I was looking for a vertical to mount on a 10' mast bolted to the side of my garage. The mast was already supporting another (wire) antenna, and looked like a great place to mount a vertical.

Not much room for radials, the way things are laid out, and I wanted a fairly light weight antenna. The CHA250b kept popping up in my searches. It seems like the ham community really has a love hate relationship with this antenna. I was a little hesitant that it can only handle 250w, but until i get an amp it shouldnt be an issue, and I dont work digital modes, so overheat shouldnt be a concern.

Assembled in a snap, hoisted the antenna up to the roof and mounted by myself. I placed a CMC 330 1k rfi choke right between the antenna and 50ft of lmr400 to the radio. Found low swr on every band with no tuner. Mast not grounded, no radials, no ground to antenna, only the coax. I have it guyed at only one point, and it recently survived 40+mph winds for a whole day plus.

I get good signal reports 80-10m. Mind you, my 80m contacts are mostly regional, and I only use 10m for local nets due to current band conditions.

On 40 and 20m, Ive made several DX contacts including Venezuela and Suriname, however the old addage "you can work them if you can hear them" does not apply here. A couple times since installing the antenna I could hear a far off station that could not hear me. Perhaps adding some radials would help, I currently have none.

I recently had a chance to attach a Rig Expert AA54 analyzer to my antennas thru their respective 50ft lmr400 feed lines. I found the CHA250b to be right around 2:1swr on 80m, 40 and 20m bands were under 1.2:1swr, and everything from 7 to 54mhz was under 1.5.

Swr sweep across the 80-6m bands was not anywhere near that good on my "no tune" wire antenna.

So ultimately, this is to me, a solid 4 star performer. Sure, its no woopty 5000 super dx death beam, but you already know that. It is a lightweight, low power handling vertical antenna for compromise installations that will enable you to make contacts with your ham radio transceiver.
KG4RUL Rating: 2/5 Feb 26, 2018 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Maybe  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the opportunity to do an A-B-C comparison of this antenna with a Diamond BB7V (similar design and construction) and my 24 foot flagpole with 12 short radials. IF this is the only antenna you can have then it is a good antenna and the same goes for the Diamond. Compared to the flagpole, stations that were heard clearly either were barely heard or not heard at all. On the transmit side, while it was able to use the on-board tuner in a TS2000, same with the Diamond, the performance on transmit was nowhere near that of the flagpole which required a wide-range auto-tuner to use at all.
KM6NFF Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2018 14:28 Send this review to a friend
A Good Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After trying 2 brand new MFJ 1788 loop antenna and both came to me not working I'd thought I would try a vertical. Being a new Ham operator and wanted something simple I ordered the Comet CHA250B.

For me this antenna works great. I live in the west coast and have talked all over the states so far. It's really easy to put together and is made very well.

With that said, I have only had it for a few weeks now but love it. I'm only running a 100 watts so I haven't experienced any overheating as some have. I live in a somewhat restricted area so this antenna works great for my situation. You should give it a try.
AE0DC Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2017 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Wont handle power  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to my last review (They still have great customer service) After installing the new antenna, it had the same issue. After some more trouble shooting, the CHA250B antenna wont handle more then 75 watts in a continuous mode, like psk31, FT8, JT65, rtty, etc.. It seems to heat up, and then the swr runs away. Cool it down (10 minutes) and its fine again. Threw a wire up with no other changes, no issues. It is the antenna. Works great for other uses like ssb.
N5VX Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2017 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Not thrilled  Time owned: more than 12 months
3 is probably too high, but I have made lots of contacts when mother nature is being very cooperative. I purchased the antenna for very limited space and for that, it's ok. It's not very resistant to Oklahoma winds. I call it my pretzel on a stick. I have a friend who has one too. His is bent worse than mine. Yes, we are both using guys. Just don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. There are no miracle antennas.
N2CVS Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 18:16 Send this review to a friend
keeps on working  Time owned: more than 12 months
I forgot to say that it over heated on 80 meters using JT9 at 100 watts.

Thats 50 seconds over 120 seconds or 43 % duty cycle.

N2CVS larry
KG5QHX Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2017 16:59 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna that works really well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was quite amazed as to how well it works. SWR is 1.5 or less. SWR tends to be 1.1 in the phone bands too. It is easy to put it together and it isn't too heavy or unwieldy to handle either. I used a GAP tilting antenna mount so I can lower it when the weather predicts some bad thunderstorms coming through the area. But otherwise it stays up all the time.
WB3IGR Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2016 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Well worth it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't say anything negative about this antenna. Six meters 80 meters, this is a "NO TUNE" antenna. SWR is virtually flat on all bands. And I have mine ground mounted.
KG5MNE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only have room for a light vertical due to having to mount to ladder on motorhome, but this antenna exceeded my expectations, even with the current poor band situation. Contacts East to West thus far, with only 100 watts. SWR no problem on any band. Highly recommend it!
W2FKN Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Amazing performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the vertical set-up in a clandestine fashion (HOA allows no outside antennas). Use it with a Yaesu FTDX5000 - SWR is flat! Very satisfied - Rich W2FKN