Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Comet CHA250B Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CHA250B
Comet CHA250B Reviews: 117 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $469.00
Description: The Comet CHA250B broadband vertical antenna will amazingly cover 75/80 meters through 6 meters with no gaps! Transmit range is 3.5-57 MHz and receive range is 2-90 MHz. SWR <1.5:1. This 23.5 foot vertical requires no radials and weighs only 7.1 lbs. The antenna consists of five sections of aluminum tubing that slide into each other. The bottom section has the matching network built-in. Only two simple measurements are required during the easy assembly. It can handle 250 watts SSB and 125 watts FM. SO-239 input. Mounts on a 1 to 2 inch mast (not supplied). Rated for 67 MPH wind survival.

(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Comet CHA250B.

KG5QHX Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2017 16:59 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna that works really well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was quite amazed as to how well it works. SWR is 1.5 or less. SWR tends to be 1.1 in the phone bands too. It is easy to put it together and it isn't too heavy or unwieldy to handle either. I used a GAP tilting antenna mount so I can lower it when the weather predicts some bad thunderstorms coming through the area. But otherwise it stays up all the time.

WB3IGR Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2016 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Well worth it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't say anything negative about this antenna. Six meters 80 meters, this is a "NO TUNE" antenna. SWR is virtually flat on all bands. And I have mine ground mounted.

KG5MNE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only have room for a light vertical due to having to mount to ladder on motorhome, but this antenna exceeded my expectations, even with the current poor band situation. Contacts East to West thus far, with only 100 watts. SWR no problem on any band. Highly recommend it!

W2FKN Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Amazing performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the vertical set-up in a clandestine fashion (HOA allows no outside antennas). Use it with a Yaesu FTDX5000 - SWR is flat! Very satisfied - Rich W2FKN

VE6CWG Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 12:19 Send this review to a friend
It Works!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got this antenna last year, have it mounted about 10 feet AGL about 25 feet from houses, 100 feet low loss coax.

To be honest, I wanted simple (first HF station, only 2 years a HAM). Did my research, and picked this as my choice.

Simply put, it is a solid 5 on the Simple and Works scale! Had it up in less than 1 hour, and was on the air to California from Alberta, Canada. Wow! Since then, I have added Japan, New Zealand, Russia, France, most of Canada and the US, Brazil and keep chocking up the DX list.

I have sunk a concrete mount into the ground and have a setup that I can take the whole thing down in 2 min (or less). And hope to try it a bit higher this summer (stay tuned). I can also grab it and use it in a portable sense (about 15 min to dismantle it), took it camping, threw it up tied to the back of the trailer, and was working most of North America that weekend.

Is it the best antenna, no, it's a compromise, I knew that going in. But the simplicity and low profile make up for that. And like I said, it does work!

KK6ZTI Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2016 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Followup on my Mar 23, 2016 01:40 Review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a followup on my review from Mar 23, 2016 at 01:40.

I'm upgrading this antenna to a 5.

Over a few hours last night and an hour today through the CQ contest pileups, I've had consistent 59 QSOs from my station in urban Los Angeles to Northern California, Oregon, Colorado, Alaska, Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Hawaii, Alaska, British Columbia, Australia, Japan, Barbados and Portugal. All contacts made with 100W on my FT-450d on 80m, 40m, 20m and 15m using the stock hand mic. SWR basically flat throughout. Most contacts responded after my first call and rarely asked for a repeat of any information.

Noting a key change in my setup made this possible. I've placed a HyEnd Allbander Line Isolator right at the Yaesu FT-450d coax feed and a Unadilla Big One HF isolator at the Comet CHA-250b coax feed point. I also removed the MFJ-931 Artificial Ground (2nd floor shack) because it mysteriously won't work once the isolators are inline. As for coax, I'm on a 100' run of LMR-400 and there's an 8 loop air-core choke of it right after the Unadilla isolator near the Comet CHA-250b feed point.

Although I find this antenna remarkable at this point, it's latest performance here probably wouldn't be possible without the isolators.

KK6ZTI Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2016 01:40 Send this review to a friend
Simple setup, sturdy, low SWR, works.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm a new HAM. This is the first antenna I've ever owned.

Took about an hour to roof mount it with guy wires. Roof is about 25' high. Location is urban Los Angeles. Tall trees and other structures nearby. Barely within a safe distance from power lines.

Running 100' LMR-400 from it to a Yaesu FT-450d in a second floor shack. Using MFJ-931 for artificial RF ground.

Low SWR as advertised. In conjunction with my 450d auto-tuner, I'm rarely above flat on all working bands. Never seen it above 3 without the tuner on.

I get great results on 80m, 60m, 40m and 20m. Getting great RX on 10m but no QSOs yet so can't opine on TX. There's rarely traffic when I'm on 10m and it's mostly local FM repeaters. I often go to websdr.org, load up in and out of state stations and hear most of what they do on 80m & 40m nearly as well, the same or sometimes better. Those stations run mono band dipoles, big log periodic and loops. Some may argue I’ve no prior antenna ownership to compare the CHA-250B to but the foregoing tests render my opinion worth considering.

I've had solid QSOs with CA, FL, NJ, NM, WA, OK, TX, Aruba, Mexico City, Baja and probably more that I can't remember at the moment; day and night, mostly during fair ionospheric conditions. Some stations acted surprised when I told them I was on a CHA-250B. Am I ever not heard or get weak signal reports, yes… just like everyone else does.

Two weeks ago we had a big storm here. Lightning struck a power line a block away, knocking out neighborhood service for about 8 hours. Winds were between 40-60MPH for many hours. The WX was broadcasting fatal hazard warnings. The tall pines outside moved more than I thought possible. Lived here 42 years and never remember anything like this in L.A. before. Was cursing myself for recently setting up a radio antenna while frantically disconnecting it from the shack, unplugging everything inside and cutting off the gas. My point? CHA-205B looks and performs like it never happened, although I doubt that would be the outcome without my guy wires and tape seals over all joints and connector points.

Due to polarity and other design characteristics, it's occasionally easier to be heard 1,000+ miles away vs. 100 miles away. Regardless, I've had plenty of local QSOs.

The only selling point I disagree with is that it's supposedly stealthy. In my opinion it looks like what it is, a 24' antenna with guy wires. There've been a string of burglaries on my street lately, some just a block away. We haven't been hit and I occasionally wonder if this thing on the roof smells like the law to unintelligent crooks. I'd prefer a less noticeable antenna, yet standard dipoles or end feds might not improve noise, RX or TX much amidst nearby obstructions.

I'll soon install a crude counterpoise of wires. Didn't realize it has pre-drilled holes for this at the base housing. Owners who've done it claim significant improvements. I believe it.

Although I was still getting out before having one, the MFJ-931 artificial ground majorly improved my TX. If you're on the second floor like me, use one. Chances are you'll realize what you thought was a antenna problem is an RFI issue.

It's expensive, at least compared to a good dipole or end fed. Then again, it works more bands than most and you won't tear up the yard installing it. If I had a big budget, a giant plot and had Army Ranger climbing skills then I’d probably operate a big yagi putting anything less to shame. Until and unless I meet the above criteria, I’ll stick with my CHA-250B.

If you still think this dummy load sucks, check out these excerpts of my six year old daughter’s QSO on 40m with four stations during poor ionospheric conditions and a 4MHz MUF propagation forecast. Two of them were in Mexico…

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2016 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Moved the comet to the top of my house (about 35 feet up) and have 100 feet of LMR-400 feeding it. Still working well for me - in fact I installed a GAP Eagle and didn't seem to be much difference between the two. The Comet was better than the Eagle on 40 by far.

Its durability is good too. So - I continue to be happy with this carefree antenna.

N2CVS Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Works as designed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like everything this is a compromise.

I've used it on 160 meters to 10 meters on JT65.
On 160 meters I only use 10 watts and the SWR is 5.

Since it's not specified to be used on 160 meters
this is a very welcome surprise.
It is inefficient doing this but it works.

Continuous key down on lower bands at 100 Watts caused the SWR to rise.
After a few minutes of cooling it recovered.

So I don't do this.

A cushcraft R5 is much better on 20 meters.
it can make it from NH to Australia.

The CHA-250BX could not make it from NH to Australia.

On the other hand the R5 doesn't work on 160 to 30 meters.

This antenna is fairly inexpensive used.

I would certainly buy this antenna again used at the price I paid.

It is very handy, even if it is compromise.

G4VVQ Rating: 1/5 Dec 31, 2015 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Rubbish  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these about 5 years ago, its been blowing around in the wind ever since, it started to go intermittent, I ended up taking it down and looking at it, I have never seen anything made so bad, I took the bottom off, and it seems the only connection was 2 screws that touch each other at 90 degree angle that makes the antenna, mine got loose the hole got elongated and the two threads would touch and not touch so it went on and off, there is no lead from one bit to the other, terrible thing, and there not very waterproof, you need to dill holes in the bottom to let the water out, and the top bush on the loading coil, it was waltzing about everywhere...i'll never buy another one, i cut it up and threw it in the bin, I have put up a dipole instead hi...works much better...from Fred g4vvq.