Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Comet CHA250B Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CHA250B
Comet CHA250B Reviews: 100 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $469.00
Description: The Comet CHA250B broadband vertical antenna will amazingly cover 75/80 meters through 6 meters with no gaps! Transmit range is 3.5-57 MHz and receive range is 2-90 MHz. SWR <1.5:1. This 23.5 foot vertical requires no radials and weighs only 7.1 lbs. The antenna consists of five sections of aluminum tubing that slide into each other. The bottom section has the matching network built-in. Only two simple measurements are required during the easy assembly. It can handle 250 watts SSB and 125 watts FM. SO-239 input. Mounts on a 1 to 2 inch mast (not supplied). Rated for 67 MPH wind survival.

More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=5&childID=6

You can write your own review of the Comet CHA250B.

JH1OQW Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2012 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Great ant for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have projected to get WAS. From 2012 3-18.
I confirmed 39/50 state on LoTW.
I have operated digital mode JT 65HF on14-18-21-24-28Mhz.
I confirmed peruto Rico station about 13000km away.
Please see to QRZ.com.
73's. Good DX!

KT8DX Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2012 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Update on previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update. Still like antenna and it is performing as expected. It survived some very serious wind this year without any problems. I am on air every night and of course have my choice of whatever band is open. Quite a luxury at this QTH.

Would purchase again.

PU2NBU Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2012 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Fair Enough  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Easy installation (im my case, 33 feet high)

Got me on the air

Excellent RX

Windproof (fortunately, no tornados neither hurricanes in my brazilian region)

Gets good or reasonable signal reports

It is a keeper!

As a Class C 100w operator, my next step will be also to install a Dual Beam Pro with an Yaesu rotor to chase DX on 10 meters. I will report about this later on, after the first 6 months from this future installation.

W4AFK Rating: 3/5 Nov 18, 2012 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Good buy if you know what to expect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a broadband HF antenna not limited to ham radio frequencies (non-ham experimental, FH & wide band High Speed data). It needed to be ALE friendly and cover the entire HF spectrum. So I bought this CHA250Bx and it "does the job". It's ~30 feet up and compared to dipoles, it's just as "good" (definitely not better).

- Is it a DX antenna? No.
- Is it super efficient on 40/80? No.
- Is it relatively flat across the HF bands? Yes.
- Does it work? Yes!

If you have limited space and want to get on the air, this antenna should be considered. However, just remember that it is NOT as good as dedicated ham radio verticals or to well installed wire antennas. BUT, it gets you on the air and works also on non-ham frequencies with no tuner (SWL, Utilities, etc.)

W2NJU Rating: 3/5 Sep 15, 2012 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Realistic Expectations  Time owned: months
What were hoping to accomplish with the CHA-250B. It does what it is advertised to do which is get you on the air with an swr under 1.6 from 6 meters thru 80 meters. It is a highly compromised antenna which puts SOME signal on the air while wasting more as heat. It's the trade off with a broadband antenna. For some operators this is the only way to get on the air. By their own admission, Comet tells you this is NOT a DX antenna although many have successfully worked DX with it. It's a decent antenna for the operator who wants to make contacts, rag-chew and not deal with grounds and radials. If you can put up a simple wire antenna or 43 vertical with some buried counterpoise wires you're better off.

KP4EC Rating: 0/5 Sep 9, 2012 11:29 Send this review to a friend
not good at all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
worst antenna ever had! on my personal opinion it's too much money for the pice of aluminum youre are getting! i won't put money on the dumpster like that again!

N8NN Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2012 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Update on my previous review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
With this antenna mounted on the rear ladder of my motorhome I worked HK0NA in Feb 2012 on all bands 10m-400m, and on CW, SSB, RTTY from Florida using 90 watts, 50 watts on RTTY. I added a line isolator near the transceiver to eliminate RF feedback caused by not having a good ground connection. All contacts were made with this DXpedition through huge pileups.

The Comet CHA-250B worked great!

W2NJU Rating: 3/5 Jul 28, 2012 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Keeping An Open Mind  Time owned: months
The CHA-250B is an antenna option which I have been considering. I have a small back yard and am opposed to having a 43 foot vertical popping up and having to have a few radials. The XYL is not crazy about having a dipole over the back yard. Therefore, a low profile, radial less, no tune vertical seems like a good idea from THOSE standpoints.
Mick Stwertnik from Comet Antennas described it as basically an end fed long wire mounted vertically with a base transformer providing the impedance match. By his own admission much of the RF is converted to heat and lost but it is the price paid for such an antenna. I have had many e-mails from guys who have had good results with it anyway, especially if it is mounted at the suggested 35 feet. Mick said mounting it lower introduces more substantial ground losses. The coax shield becomes the counterpoise. I suggest reading K3DAV's review and check out his log book on QRZ...He's had some very impressive contacts.
It is totally unfair to compare this antenna with a dipole, log periodic or Yagi. For many, it is the difference between getting on HF or putting the radio back in the box. For others, they like it's simplicity, low profile and no fuss operation. For many of these operators it's not about the S-Units but rather being able to make contacts and many log books suggest it does that quite well. The most egregious thing about it is the price which is totally outrageous. Many hams are retired while others have been hurt by the economic downturn (depression?)and $400 is an ouch! I would urge Comet to rethink the price point.

VE7DLC Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2012 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent compromise antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna in multiple locations for over 5 years, and it just works. I didn't want an antenna that would take over my property, and I certainly wanted one that would be easy to install. The Comet fits the bill.

I don't understand a lot of the negatives that I've read about this antenna, particularly the ones that complain about the difficulties of contacts. I've installed it at ground level, roof level and higher, and it's performed adequately for each location (with no radials). I enjoy vintage gear, and with a Yeasu FT-107, Yaesu FT-757 and other similar transceivers I've worked throughout North America (I'm on the West Coast) and Japan.

So no, it's not a great DX'ing antenna, but why would you buy it in the first place if that's what you want to do? It continues to give me what I want out of an antenna - the ability to communicate - and that's what it's all about.

K5LXY Rating: 2/5 Mar 10, 2012 12:17 Send this review to a friend
I was WRONG!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to rescind my initial glowing review, so if you have some bacon I have enough egg on my face to feed 50. While it works fine on 10/15 I realized it worked better than my G5RV because of mounting issues. After correcting the issue guess what? If your only option is a vertical and you only want 10/15 this antenna is OK, but just buy a CB antenna.
It is not worth the price for 2 bands.
Sorry for not spending more bench time with this product before posting.