Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-8 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-8
ICOM SM-8 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: Electrit Desk Mic
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-8.

VA2BOY Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2006 22:25 Send this review to a friend
A SSB microphone  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a used SM-8 from a great ham than well explained me how really work the microphone. Because I have a Big Bass Voice I ajusted my audio a bit higher than the normal and a bit amplified.

First, I used it with my Icom IC-706MKIIG for SSB and FM communications. Everyone reports me it was too loud and punched in FM and they ear a fly plane on next room. On SSB it was too loud but well punched. Ok then, I will use it with another rig ;-)

Now, with same ajusting. I used it with my Icom IC-271H for SSB communications and everyone reports me very well loud, punched and not too much sensitive. Good! I looking forward eagerly to use it with the (next purchase) UHF brother: IC-471H. I will use one microphone for both rigs. That's a good option. Only by switching a small stick !!!

Scoutement radioamateur,
Patrick Vincent
VA2BOY

AB5CC Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2005 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best for Icom rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a used SM-8 from AES Milwaukee in 1993. I have used the mic with several ICOM rigs, the IC-725, IC-751, IC-737, IC-756, IC-275A and the IC-706 with the adapter for the RJ-45 plug. In fact, I find myself planning my next rig purchase around this same mic. The fact that it has 2 mic cables so you can run 2 rigs with the same mic at the flip of the switch is also very handy when you run a HF rig on "A" and VHF or UHF on "B". On the bottom, you can adjust tone, gain and impedence of the mic. This seems easier to me than going into the menu to adjust audio parameters. This is the best $95 (used) I ever spent and has sold many Icom rigs for the Icom company.

WK0F Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Great mic for Icom rigs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one used from Burghardt's and it serves me well. I have it connected to both my Icom 746Pro and Icom 718. It has adjustments on the base for both lines so you can tweak it for each radio.

KC2HXB Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2004 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought an SM-8 mic used from a silent key before he passed. Later on I sold the mic along with the radio I was using it with. BIG MISTAKE! I missed that mic. I always had great audio reports. The nice thing about the mic, it’s very attractive looking. It is a great add to anyone’s station. I just bought another SM-8 for 149.99, a lot more than I paid for the 1st one. I would recommend this mic to anyone

S57MHA Rating: 2/5 Dec 5, 2003 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Not good with 746PRO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had IC-745 and the mic worked very good.
But when I have connected it to IC-746PRO, I got reports about echo in my modulation. I have tryed different settings on the mic and on the RIG with no luck. It pick up also too much noice from background (computer fans, fans from RIG and PSU)...
Audio reports with hand mike are MUCH MUCH better. So I am back on the hand mic. :(

Vy 73's de Alex - S57MHA

DF1AS Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2003 06:53 Send this review to a friend
* * * * '  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the SM-8 and the SM-20. Both are fine but reports seem to be better with the SM-20. I tried all adjustments (mic and rig) but the SM-8 is always a bit behind in audio quality. I guess that all ICOM mics (hand and desk) use similar electret capsules. So I don't know from what the difference comes. Maybe from the small built-in circuit boards or from the mechanical shapes. I have several ICOM rigs, so I use both cables. There's just one incompatibility if I simultaneously connect an IC-746 and an IC-910. This makes severe problems for the 746 (RF back-coupling). Other combinations (910/PRO-II, 910/910, PRO-II/746) work fine. Maybe a pure decoupling problem of the 746 ...

W8CMK Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2003 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After considering a number of different microphones I decided to get the SM-8 to use with my IC-746. I have had nothing but rave reviews on the audio. Even a couple of guys I talk to on a regular basis remarked on the audio before I had a chance to tell them what I had changed. Proof is in the performance!

SP1EK Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2003 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought SM 8 half year ago and in my view it`s really great mic.I use it with IC 756 ( not a PRO ) and another HAM`s always say that I have very beautifull, clear and loud audio.I think that my mic was made 5 year ago or more I can find use signs but still work well.So if you looking for good MIC dont thin so much and buy SM8 and you`ll really happy.
Bart SP1EK Vy 73`s

N3HSH Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2002 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Great desk mic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this mic with an Icom 746 and consistently get unsolicited reports about the good audio. This mic is well made, stable, attractive and versatile. It can be hooked up to two rigs at once, has a tone adjustment and level adjustments for each line. It also has down/up buttons for frequency changes and a locking PTT.

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2001 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Smooth and clear  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this mic with a 746. I like this mic for its' workmanship, and the smooth audio it produces. Far superior in sound (and smell- hi hi!) to the 'ahem competition! Don't play around with gimmicks- this is the real thing.