Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | WorldStation 3.4 DXTRA SWL Control Software Help

Reviews Summary for WorldStation 3.4 DXTRA SWL Control Software
WorldStation 3.4 DXTRA SWL Control Software Reviews: 2 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $30.
Description: Control software for PC-controlled receivers, such as Ten-Tec RX-320/340/350 and others.
More info: http://www.dxtra.com/

You can write your own review of the WorldStation 3.4 DXTRA SWL Control Software.

K9FOH Rating: 2/5 Aug 27, 2006 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Not for the casual user  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the DXtra World Station program with my Ten Tec RX-320D off and on (mostly off)since January 2006 and currently have version 4.1.7 installed. I echo many of KF4DX's comments. The program is not easy to set-up and I have had on-going problems with the program freezing up and the only way I can get it back again is to re-install the program. I also have the option installed to control both the RX-320D and the Jupiter as a second receiver. Most problems occur when I try to run both units. Windows will eventually stop displaying the Jupiter display with a re-install the only way to get the program back. This has been an intermittent problem with the program working fine for a couple of weeks then the "lost" display.
The screen displays are two-toned rather than a single color, which I find annoying. The Client/Server approach offers a pretty powerful shortwave listening package, once you get the program installed and running. Beware of Firewall settings which gave me headaches during the install process.
Customer service is usually very prompt but not always very helpful.
Overall, N4PY's program is much better and the one I usally run.

KJ4DX Rating: 2/5 Jun 3, 2005 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice software - Support? Not really --  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this software in a bundle with an RX-320D that I am running in tandem with an Omni V.9 transceiver and control software from N4PY. Wanting a program that would allow me some SWL fun and let me use the RX-320D's DRM capabilities, I loaded the DXTRA software onto my PC as well.
The program has some neat features. But boy, is it touchy. One wrong click and the program is frozen. It relies heavily on database linking, and tends to get real unstable if things are not entered the way it prefers. Maybe I'm the idiot, but this program needs to be more idiot-proof. I have never had any such problems using the N4PY programs.
And speaking of N4PY, he is more than willing to promtly and courteously address any and all questions and problems. The DXTRA representative is really not interested in resolving any bugs or helping a new user with problems. The emails I received were prompt, but did not really go beyond pointing out to me that the bugs I reported had never been reported before, so therefore I should just reboot my PC and essentially stop bothering him.
If you want a great, stable operating system without having someone look down their nose at you when you ask questions, just buy the N4PY product.