Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft R-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft R-7
Cushcraft R-7 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $510.00
Description: HF Vertical
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft R-7.

AI6J Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2014 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna- no radials  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used and R5 and an R7 and both have worked very well with no radials, ground mounted and up on a 10 foot mast. While 40/80 are ok...they are not great for those bands. It will work but a dipole will usually out perform unless maybe you get it way up in the air and add radials.

Currently my R7 is on a 10 foot mast, I run it into a tuner, and do not have any of the capacity hats. For WARC bands and 10-15-20 it works very well. One note- about 2 years ago I tried to get parts from Cushcrat (MFJ) and they were pretty stupid. Took me 3 months to get parts and had to call multiple times. Once I finally got the parts they were not what i ordered...I fabricated the rest and gave up on them- but the R7 worked well anyways...

PP8DA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
rebuilding a R7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just rebuild my Cushcraft R7, that I own since 1996, to put it into an other location. Disassembled and cleaned it as most parts where dirty and black. Assembled all components by the assembly leaflet up to the exact measurement. Retightened all the trap and capacitor fixture components, most of them had loose screws. Changed the 80 Pf capacitors with one doorknob capacitor 50Pf 6 KV unit and put the vertical in the new position, 2.4 meters high above the ground. SWR from 7 to 28 Mhz on all bands are nor higher than 2:1. To my great joy, the Cushcraft R7 is in very good working conditions.

KE3WH Rating: 2/5 May 9, 2011 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Too much maintenance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this up for a few years. Replaced traps 3-4 times. Running only 100 watts, so not a QRO issue.
Eventually the traps were bending, and causing instability. So down it came. I gave it away as I had no plan to raise it again.

Its performance while in operating order was great.

ON4LDU Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2011 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have my R7 since 1998, move it 2 Qth's and still alive !
I've bought it secondhand and worked about 280 DXCC's with it.
Now she's little older but sure can survive 5 years more.
The signals are not so strong, but always worked.
In 40 meters, she gave me total surprise with 180 countries confirmed.
Great antenna, if you can find one, take it !

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one for years at 15' before finally getting a tower and beam. I still miss it. The beam is nice but the R7 worked very well.

I posted a review here a few years ago but I see it is gone. I guess eHam deletes user reviews at their own discretion.

KG4COQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 22:43 Send this review to a friend
Great !!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna for a couple of years. First location had it 3 ft above ground. 40 meters was very hard to set to the voice section of the band. Was only able to get SWR on 40 down to 1.7 to 1 in the middle. All other bands fell into place very nicely. Most contacts S-7 or higher all bands. Worked well on 6 meters too.

Now I have it mounted on a tripod with a 10 ft. pole on top of my 12 ft. high carport roof. 40 fell into place real nice as did all other bands as did 6 meters again.

Also have a R-8 Vert. which worked well at the first location but not as well as the R-7 and was mounted 3 ft. off the ground as well. If you find a R-7 this is a great antenna,ENJOY IT !!

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2010 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Seriously!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We took R7 camping over the weekend in Northern California and honestly I was seriously in doubt this thing would actually perform...well....after putting a used R7 in the air ten feet off the ground first station my friend Norm worked was a ham in Paris, France on 15 mtrs............DAMN!! He continued to knock 'em out 40/20 and 15....not bad for a compromised antenna and I was seriously impressed!!

W3PYF Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2009 19:53 Send this review to a friend
OK if you can't swing radials  Time owned: more than 12 months
Most reviews are on a specific product - but in the case of verticals, one is right to ask, "compared to what?" That's especially true with the R7.

I can't remember exactly why I bought my R7 about 15 years ago - probably because it looked like an easy antenna to use on Field Day, where it saw most of its use. For home use then in Larchmont, NY, I had a Butternut HF-6V, roof mounted, 3 radials/band, and it was terrific.

When I moved from Larchmont to CT, I had plenty of room for wire antennas, so gave away my Butternut to a club member who was down on his luck. I kept the R7 for possible portable use, because it's easy to pack and set up.

Then, in 2003, following a marriage breakup, I found myself in a small rented house in Lexington, MA with a tiny back yard, and tried using the R7 as a station antenna, ground mounted. It was very frustrating, even on CW. Signal reports were always only fair, although matching was always very good in the TS-420S I owned at the time.

Another unexpected move in 2006 had me move back to CT in a rented shoreline bungalow, where I mounted the R7 on a 10-foot pole outside the shack window. Again, good matching, not great reports. Frustrating.

About 3 months ago, I bought a somewhat battered Butternut HF-6V on Craig's List, fixed it up, and installed it just before the winter hit here in Stoneham, MA, to which I moved in mid-2008. I mounted the Butternut on a 5-foot section of Radio Shack mast driven about 2 feet into the ground, and strung 3 multiband radials about 3 feet off the ground, and 2 folded 80-meter radials at the same height. Nothing like Bencher recommends, but hey, maybe it would work.

Like the R7, I could tune the Butternut for the low end of 40, and get a 1.2:1 match, and a 1.2-1.5:1 match on 20, 15 and 10, no antenna tuner - just like the R7.

However, the difference in performance between the R7 and the Butternut wasn't close. The Butternut - even with a compromise radial system - gets great reports. First contact on 40 was with a station off the coast of Barcelona. I set the 80 meter coil on the Butternut for mid-band, so I need an antenna tuner at the ends - but jeez, the DX pours in on 80, and I work it with my barefoot TS-940S. I can't wait to get my old SB-200 working again!

Conclusion: The R7 is a fair antenna - but compared to what? You sacrifice a lot of performance for short length and no radials. I'd rate it no better than OK. Since it's no longer made, I'd suggest those looking for a vertical shop around for a Butternut - or buy one new. Yes, they're $400 new today - but if you want a multiband DX vertical, you don't want an R7.

WA2OOB Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2009 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted to add this review based on my personal experience with the R7. Ignore the few bad reviews you might see. This antenna is fabulous. I know the R7 is no longer made, but If you can get one used- in decent/serviceable condition- you will be pleased.

I purchased my R7 from the original owner in 1995. It is still going strong 3 QTHs and 14 years later! I moved it with minimal disassembly, and it has never needed a retune. The SWR has been stable throughout it's life- in fact, I just checked all bands and confirmed that. I have it on a 10' mast, and it still amazes me how reliable and effective an antenna it is. It has survived torrential rains, and horrific Santa Ana winds- one blow even knocked the mast over! That fall caused a bend in the R7 that was easily tweaked back into true, with no ill effects.

Of course, a low and stable SWR can also be attributed to a dummy load- but this antenna definitely gets RF out! It has allowed me to work the world with 100W. Generally, anything I can hear I can usually work with just a call or two.

The R7 is also easily serviced. There are several articles online regarding refurbishment of the traps if they develop faults. I have had no trap issues. I did have to service the easily-accessed impedance matching assembly and repair some oxidized solder joints.

Simple, effective, reliable, serviceable, small footprint, half-wave, no radials needed, 7 HF bands plus 6M (undocumented- but checks out with my MFJ analyzer)- what more could you ask for in a vertical antenna?

73 es gud dx!

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 20:11 Send this review to a friend
13 years -still impressive  Time owned: more than 12 months
See my previous R7 review (here) from 2003. Then, I stated my R7 had been up 7 years. Well, now its been up 13 years, in great shape and still packing a 360 degree wallop in all directions - even on 6 meters (6M w/ antenna tuner).

Many of us prefer the R7 (R5) over the R8 since the R7 does not need guying, provides 40- 6M and is only 20 ft tall.

Many of us wish Cushcraft could came back out with the R7 or similiar in the 20 ft tall area.
Used R7 (R5) antennas are becoming price attractive enuf to buy a spare for parts, field day, etc. Have fun.