Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft R-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft R-7
Cushcraft R-7 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $510.00
Description: HF Vertical
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft R-7.

W3WW Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2008 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 12 years of service and 3 hurricane survivals, it still works perfect. I have it roof mounted several feet below a tri band yagi and a 40 meter dipole. I have it switchable and most of the time, not all, it will outperform the standard dipole on 40. It pulls a fairly close second on 10 through 20 as compared to the yagi mounted on a tower 30' higher. The SWRs are starting to climb after 12 years, but that can be expected. It must be time to dis-assemble and clean the connections. By the way, I am located about 1/4 mile west of the Indian River saltwater lagoon. That helps propagation and corrosion.

When this one hits the dust, I hope a new R8 works as well.

KE7RJF Rating: 0/5 Nov 24, 2008 11:59 Send this review to a friend
BAD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
IT WONT WORK. Thats Final

IK2SAI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
My R7 is on my roof since october 1992.
i think that if you are looking for dxing/contesting and you have no room for some beam you simply can't go wrong with thi antenna.
Thi is not a compromise antenna.
This is a superb antenna.
I've worked about 30.000 qsos with just 100w with a score of 300 countries mixed.
Now, i run with an amplifier (800w) and i'm looking for my country number 310.
What is just fantastic is the 40 meter score, were most of the time i'm a pileup (split) winner and were i have more than 200 countries mixed. Keep in mind that i am living in central Milan city, with all noise etc.
During these 16 year of radio i have had some issues.
1) after a "tornado" were all tv antenna were fired down.... i have had a problem with the base part that was replaced. It was also replaced a trap that for mechanical issues doesn't worked any more. (if i remember well the 20 meters trap). It was in 1999.
2) in 2002 i discovered that the thermo rubber over one trap has an hole. I have recovered all traps with a new 3M thermo rubber and since than no problem at all.
3) this year (2008) just for safety i have replaced again the base unit with the isolator.

Any way the antenna seems to be like new!

The only problem with this antenna (for me) is to get a good swr accross the bands.
But performance are so strong that i simply can't immagine enything better.

AB3CX Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2007 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Fine Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm using one that was previously owned by an SK ham. I'm not sure how old it is. The antenna fit right together and I tuned it for SWR using an MFJ-259. Have been using it now about 7 months. There is some SWR drift when it gets wet, but the rig tuner takes care of it. I'm working alot of DX with 200 watts here, and managed 1A4, XE4, T30, T32, KH8, 5W3, VK, JA, D60, J20, 5A1, plus Europe all the time. You get the idea, it is a fun antenna. I would say it cannot perform at the level of a true 1/4 wave vertical with extensive radials, but it's easy to erect and it works.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 12:10 Send this review to a friend
All you need to work DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used mine for 7 years. I was living in a condo and the only possible to operate on HF was a groundmounted vertical without radials, so I chose this one. Glad I did. I have worked 300+ countries with this antenna, mostly barefoot and lots of them on 40 meters. The antenna was just 2 meters off the ground, very close to the house! So if someone says verticals dont work-learn your part and rethink!

SM5SRR Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2006 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Good vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned one for a couple of years back in CA in 1993 (AB6BC). I bought mine brand new and found it impossible to get an acceptable SWR on all bands as specified. Thinking things through and analyzing the traps, it turned out two of them were mounted upside down in the factory and had to be returned. Receiving new traps, tuning was a breeze with good SWR on all bands. This antenna performed very well considering it was mounted only a few feet up. Living in a valley (Concord), I always managed to have QSO's with Australia on 20m.

If you need a good vertical, this is the one!
73, Eskil/SM5SRR (AB6BC)

VE3XYD Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2005 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Great DX Antenna  Time owned: months
Good DXing with this antenna. I run anywhere btw 100w to 300w of power and the antenna always delivered good results. Mine is installed about 10feet of the ground, with guide ropes it survived all the winter winds we get here in Canada. This model also doesn't take much space, I recommend for any ham who has limited space.

K7ABV Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2005 21:26 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
use this antenna from a portable location, only during the summer...have worked 180 countries with it and 200 watts..not a beam, but works fine for a portable location only up 8 feet from the ground...

K9AUB Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2005 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used a Cushcraft R-7 for 8 or 9 years now, at 3 different QTH's. I run mine at 20' elevation. It's probably the best multi-band vertical I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of them. There is a bit of tuning and adjusting to do at first to get the SWR down on all bands. It takes patience to go through one band at a time, 10 thru 40 in that order, to get them all right. An MFJ antenna analyzer is invaluable here. Once adjusted, it pretty much stays adjusted. Mine has seen 60 mph steady winds, with occasional 80 mph wind gusts, not to mention a few Illinois ice storms, and it stayed up just fine. It's held up to 800 watts output with no problems, but don't try this unless you're willing to adjust it to get the SWR down. You can blow up any trap antenna if you pump power to it with a high SWR. For QTH's near saltwater (Hawaii, etc.), ANY and ALL bare aluminum antennas will be eaten up from the salt spray, and so will the R-7. No surprises there. (I lost a HyGain 14AVQ in Hawaii near the beach in less than 6 months. It looked like a Swiss cheese when it came down.) To cure this problem, get the antenna adjusted and then spray coat it generously with clear plastic Krylon spray paint. The antenna will hold up just fine near salt water if you do that. Like all verticals, it's a great DX antenna, and comes within a fraction of an S-unit of matching a full-sized 1/4 wave vertical with a good ground system. My only regret is that Cushcraft doesn't still make the R-7.

WB1BPV Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2004 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Bonus - Unadvertised coverage - 6M !  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Dad(WA1PFS)purchased the R-7 new almost 20yrs ago.I used it as well as a G5RV for cw and have a logbook full of worldwide cw contacts.The R7 has weathered horrendous winters as well as 1 hurricane in the northeast.It never toppled(mounted on the side of the house), never had to climb on the roof to make adjustments.Occassionally had difficulty tuning it up after a bad storm, but that changed within 24hours usually.SSB contacts have been 57-59 reports.I have recently used my FT817 on it and even with lousy conditions as we have had this year, made some decent DX with 5watts.And yes, it does give me a 1:2 swr on 6 meters.Great antenna, but not as good as a beam :).If you can find one at a decent price, jump on it!