Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | 4nec2 freeware antenna modeller and optimizer Help

Reviews Summary for 4nec2 freeware antenna modeller and optimizer
4nec2 freeware antenna modeller and optimizer Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $0.01
Description: 4nec2 is a freeware Nec-2/4 based antenna modeller and (genetic) optimizer capable of running up to 11000 segments. It also includes state-of-the-art 3D visualization and a drawing style structure editor.
More info: http://home.ict.nl/~arivoors/

You can write your own review of the 4nec2 freeware antenna modeller and optimizer.

ON4AA Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2007 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Unique antenna synthesis capabilities + export to VOACAP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simply the best and for free! 4nec2 is a freeware program, written by Arie Voors, offering antenna analysis through the NEC2 (or 4) engine and enabling antenna synthesis with variable substitution for the complete NEC command-set, model by equation, variable sweeper line-chart output, 3D search-space graphs, (AO-style) gradient/hill-climbing and genetic algorithms optimisers.

4nec2 is especially unique in the sense that it is the only freely available amateur antenna modelling software that allows you to optimise whatever variable through its a built-in optimiser.

Both 4nec2 and EZNEC are truly unique in employing the best professional code available, NEC, for the modelling of wire or aluminium tubing antennas above real ground in both the near- and far-field of the antenna. Apart from antenna synthesis capabilities, 4nec2 adds to this some extras like surface patches, support for inclusion of the surface-wave component in the far-field results and last but not least, antenna pattern export to VOACAP, the best propagation prediction engine on the face of this planet.

Other non-NEC2(4)-based codes like MININEC etc. model the ground only as a perfect conductor right underneath the antenna, in the near-field. This simplification leads to only very approximative values for feed point impedance and resonant length.

Read more about antenna computer modelling here:

73 de Serge, ON4AA

YU7EF Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2007 00:19 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very experienced user of this kind of software and "playing" with those ever since 1991 when started with Mininec 1. Using this software since 2000 and I can say it outperforms most antenna simulation and optimization software available, including very expensive professional packages, by huge margin and it is free. What else one can ask.

It takes some time to get used to NEC-2 cards and logic but once you get familiar with it it's very easy. With experience, particularly about segmentation density, models are very accurate and calculated specifications can be expected in a real life - assuming you did not make any entry errors and real life measurements of built antennas confirmed almost perfect values.

However, do not expect software will design perfect antenna for you alone. Once software is done, user has to spend more time and tweak parameters manually in order to get what his goals and expectations are. No machine can read your mind and think as you can so every design has to be finished with personal touch of the designer.

Take a look to my web pages at http://www.yu1arc.com/yu7ef/

All that has been done using this software

Again, Arie thank you for great program as well for very good support to users.

Pop

KB3LME Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2006 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great software package ... especially with the 3D display capability. I'm fairly new to modeling antennas, but with a little practice, I'm becoming quite proficient at using this excellent tool.

You cannot go wrong by using it. Like anything, it just takes a little practice at getting used to.

I've been comparing my results with modeling that was done by a friend using EZNEC for a 40m-loop antenna in my attic. Our results have come out quite similar. Initially I was going to purchase a commercial antenna-modeling tool, but when I came across 4nec2, I could not believe such a product was available for free.

I've had no need thus far reconsider buying a commercial antenna-modeling program.

I�m very surprised that there are not more comments here about this top-notch tool.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for ... well in this case, you pay nothing, and get everything!

NF7R Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2005 10:37 Send this review to a friend
very good/very technical  Time owned: more than 12 months
A week to learn, a lifetime to master!
I rate it a 5 because it does everything I needed it to do, and has taught me to do more!
The ability to create and then export your own antennas into the ITHFS software (VOA, ICE, REC) as been very cool, and I've had fun making contacts on my homebrew wires, and then comparing real world to predictions, and vice versa.
In my case, it is very good at modelling my real world antennas. I have two acres of desert, and very little vertical supports...I use the ones I have. 4nec2 has modelled very well the exact dimensions of my assymetrical, lopsided and tilted horizontal loop...and find that it predicts very close to my on-air experience.It also tells me how I compare to a the textbook version. (quite well, I might add). I used it to model my converstion from a 33' vertical to an interted L. Predictions were very close to reality. It allowed me to model the antenna, the ground system, and the counterpoise...and each dimension added to the accuracy of the model.
There are more dimensions to this program than I have yet learned...but the deeper I dig into 4nec2's capabilities, the more I like it.
This has been my main modelling program, but I have tried some other "easier" nec programs, and this is definitely the most detailed and accurate that I have used.
Don