Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Elcom USB micro TNC Help

Reviews Summary for Elcom USB micro TNC
Elcom USB micro TNC Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: This is the first TNC that takes advantage of the new technologies. Extremely small size and self powered. You can flash the new firmware over internet, instantly. It is useful for everyday packet, for APRS, as a Tracker with a GPS or as APRS digi. Extremely flexible can be used with existing programs, real plug n play. Multiple power options (USB, External or Internal battery pack). Unlimited number of uTNCs can be connected to your computer for multiport stations. It is offered with ready radio cable (1,2 m long) and battery. There is offered also longer cables for ordering.
More info: http://www.elcom.gr/

You can write your own review of the Elcom USB micro TNC.

K2SON Rating: 0/5 Mar 19, 2009 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Defunct Product - Terrible Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a uTNT. Instead of the 4 weeks promised for shipping, it took over two months to arrive. After much effort trying to get it working, gave up on it. Later, I decided to resurrect the issue and contacted Elcom Research for assistance. After several tests they determined that the unit was defective and offered to replace it even though it had since been replaced by the new TNT V3.0. I offered to pay the difference and have them ship me the V3.0 instead. It sounded like a win-win and they were happy to do it. I should have been so lucky.

On Dec 1, I sent them the more money. By early February, when nothing had arrived, I sent them several emails trying to contact them. No response. On Feb 11, I sent a strongly worded email demanding a response. That got a reply and lots of excuses. They stated that of course it had been shipped, but they would ship another one immediately. I should have been so lucky.

On March 18, I again contacted him, this time via text messaging on Skype. More excuses and delays and a promise to email me in the morning about the status. Of course, nothing. So far I am out $120 and have nothing to show for it except a defective $60 item.

The concept is a good one. But the execution by Elcom is horrible!

K6DBG Rating: 1/5 Feb 17, 2009 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Promises so much, delivers so little  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won't rate this a 0, because it does actually work as a KISS TNC. It might even work as a tracker. But it doesn't work as a digipeater, and it doesn't seem to know how to keep its configuration across power cycles, despite what the documentation says.

I've spent many frustrating hours trying to find some good use for this device other than the one I originally purchased it for. Not there yet.

RHETTDUKE Rating: 2/5 Dec 21, 2008 11:36 Send this review to a friend
utnt usb plus in 2008  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am curious if there is ANYONE with a working utnt plus now ?????

The last review here was in 2006...now it is almost 2009.

I am having problems and would appreciate any help possible from someone who might elmer me.

I don't wish to do a review now because the problem may be me and not the product.

thanks KI4OVO

rhettduke@gmail.com

KD7CAO Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2006 10:27 Send this review to a friend
uTNT+ Easy and Efficient  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just wanted to take a moment and tell you about a great little product being produced by Elecom. Their Micro TNT Plus has to be the best Terminal Node Controller I have used. This little unit far outperforms the Kantronics KPC3+ in ease of use as well as features.

I contacted Elcom several months ago looking for a copy of their manual so that I could review the product for not only personal use but so I could recommend an outstanding product to agencies I work with in Emergency Management. After speaking with them via email they sent me a unit at no cost. The only thing they asked was I be honest with them about the product and write a review. (I appologize for it taking so long.)

I ordered the uTNT+ one afternoon and within 5 days I had a package at my place of work with a bunch of funky writing and strange stamps. I was amazed at how well it was packaged and the quality of the product itself. I followed the instructions to create a cable for my Icom IC-2100h that I am using for packet radio and downloaded a copy of Elcom's Packet Engine Pro (Requires a registration for continuous use.) I had purchased the license a couple years prior and had only used it for Sound Card Packet. I was a little surprised at how well it worked.

Not only did it have provisions for the uTNT+ but it automatically configured the device 100%. I was up and running with it in less than 5 minutes. That shocked me. I have a KPC3+ that I have been unable to make work without several hours of commands and adjustments to baud rate and COM Ports.

So what attracted me to the uTNT+?
1) USB connection (built in COM Port within device).
2) Small Size
3) Easy to configure.
4) Builtin support for Tiny Trak Like use.
5) Built in Battery. (For when you are not operating off of USB Port.)
6) Will work with various Operating Systems.
7) Does not require an old computer to have COM Ports.

I liked this project I recommended that the local health department purchase these for the POD Sites (Point of Distribution) for upcoming Strategic National Stockpile activations. They are going to purchase about 30 of these units.

Will I purchase more in the future? YES!

SW1JGW Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2006 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Gongratulations!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This week I bought a micro TNC plus from a local reseller Dr Ele.
Excellent work! It is a very useful small toy, with lots of functionalities and in such a great price!
I used it with a yakumo PDA GPS for APRS and the results were perfect.
The only thing that I believe that could be better and needs more improvement is documentation. On the other hand with a small amount of money you can get a real useful tool in compact size. The software of sv2agw is very good and you can use a lot of programs to do anything.
Also you can use it with hyper terminal .... This is great because it reminded me of the old times....
Actually I prefer to use
hyper terminal!!!!!!!
Finally micro TNC is Best Value for Money!!

73 de SW1JGW

POOBA53 Rating: 2/5 Jun 11, 2006 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Not Quite Yet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the person below that the concept is great, but they have a ways to go before these TNCs are ready for prime time. Shipping process needs work, the manuals are not up-to-date, and their Web support just simply lacks the information needed to get the TNC going quickly. Manual for TNC+ is not even present on the Web site.

K6DBG Rating: 3/5 Jun 3, 2006 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Could be so much better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The concept of the unit is awesome - certainly the next generation combined TNC/tracker/digi. But the documentation is incomplete, the software is buggy and the shipping process is *very* slow. Once it's working, leave it alone! Then it's great. But getting there is quite a chore.

AE4XO Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2006 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Great support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
George (SV4AGW) and the gang have done great with this device. They helped alot when the mail took so long getting it to me.

It solved our issue as a telpac node because it works well with AGWPE and we did not have an available serial port. The tncs are small and well designed and simple. The software is getting better and I look forward to seeing things in the future that can use them.

KD5QYV Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2005 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Good product. AWSOME support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The folks at Elcom Research have picked up the ball and ran with it. Not to slight the TT3 folks who have done a wonderful job with their own project. The uTNC has features that the TT3 doesn't. I have been interested in the digipeater features to expand our coverage and replace some Kantronics units we have. Support is what has really impressed me about these folks.
These people are all about support after the sale and upgrades/improvements to the firmware. They stand behind the product 100%. Check the forums. I got to meet Ioannis while I was in Greece. He took time out of his busy day to meet with me and discuss some of the issues I had with APRS and the lack of support from other vendors. Just talking with him convienced me that they were serious about this product and it's future in the APRS / SAR community.

Thanks again for a well supported product.
kw

OH7BD Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2005 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice and reliable TNC  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Micro TNC has proven it's stability, been on a remote digipeater location now for several months without any probs.
Another piece of equipment has been in use as a kiss modem for APRS application. It has done just fine in e.g. SAR demonstrations. The low battery consumption has been a real benefit, together with easy connectivity to a laptop. There could be some usability improvements related to the Maintenance Utility and the User Manual which, I believe, are under continuous development. However, the customer support works perfectly, and it has got also a good, personal touch!

73 Arto oh7bd