Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TS-711A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-711A
Kenwood TS-711A Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 25 Watt 2 meter all mode base station (circa 1984)
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-711_TS-811/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-711A.

KD8TUT Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2015 17:02 Send this review to a friend
New ham, new radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Gave this a 5 with my reference against a newer Alinco 635...

Found it in a local ham shop and it caught my eye... went and read reviews and purchased it.

I really like it. And more so than the Alinco I've been using- if only because it sounds great and is a pleasure to use.

My wife is also a ham, so the use has been the two of us chatting back and forth when one of us is out, or checking into a net. No SSB at the moment because my antenna is not horizontal.

I have augmented it with a 25w in 160w out amp. Which I've not used much yet.

Paid $370. Happy with it. Seems like a unit that can actually be repaired and maintained.

Been a ham for two years only, give my comments the weight they deserve.

WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Mate to my 440.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Rig matches my 440sat. No complaints at all.

VK3KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2012 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic 'All Mode' 2m Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months

These radios are an excellent 'All Mode' 2m rig. The TX and RX audio are superb and the feature set is great. The radio is ergonomically well set out and a pleasure to use.

The one thing that I particularly like about the radio is the VFO has a mechanical step in both 'Memory' and 'FM' modes, which means that it's very much like a channelised radio. In 'FM' mode, each VFO dial step is a 5khz frequency incremement and in 'Memory' mode, each VFO dial step changes the memory channel.

When you switch to SSB mode, a solenoid disables the mechanical step function and the VFO is smooth and free running with 100Hz or 10Hz increments.

The rig operates from either the internal mains supply or from 12Volts and overall, it does run slightly warm even in RX mode. TX power is variable to 25W and the fan cuts in quite early as the heatsink begins to warm up.

The blue/green fluorescent display is very clear and looks great.

Mine didn't have the TU-5 Tone board fitted but I obtained an aftermarket board via the Internet for a very reasonable price. The tone button displays the CTCSS tone on the display and the VFO dial steps through the different tone frequencies. Tones and offsets are stored individually per memory and are very easy to set and change if required.

The TS-711A is capable of computer control, however you need to have an additional board fitted and aftermarket interface boards are available on the Internet also.

The sensitivity, selectivity and intermod figures are very good when compared to modern rigs. I also have an IC-275H and I can switch a common antenna between the two rigs. RX performance is almost identical however the Icom has a 'sharper' note to the audio. The Kenwood audio is easier to listen to for an extended period. The TX output of the Icom is 100W versus the 25W from the Kenwood.

Ergonomically I prefer the Kenwood's operation, however I can't really decide which one of the two all mode 2m sets is 'better'. Both have a place in my shack.

I'm extremely happy with my TS-711A and it's definitely a keeper. On the rare occasion that one pops up for sale in VK, they are fetching around the $450+ mark.

WD4AB Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for several years and it performs flawlessly! Very effective, especially for working SSB. I always have great audio reports! If you're looking for something to work weak signal, look no further.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2010 00:29 Send this review to a friend
20 years and still going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Kenwood TS-711A for over 20 years. I have had no problems with mine and use it on a regualr basis. It has all I need to work repeaters, simplex and SSB.

Anyone looking for a nice size base station FM/SSB radio will be very happy with this model. It's not complicated and all the controls are easy to use.

The radio has a good receiver and transmits superb FM and SSB audio. It's only 25 watts, but I've found that is plenty of power with a good base station antenna. I use a 5 element beam and able to access high elevation repeaters over 200 miles away.

I've never had any problems or issues with mine. Even being over 20 years old it is still a very good all mode 2 meter transceiver.

KC9SNB Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2010 00:09 Send this review to a friend
I love this thing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have more powerful two meter radios than this, but the trusty 711 is my absolute favorite. Though it is used almost entirely in FM mode, I love the fact that I can operate SSB and CW. This is a single band radio built the way that big multi band radios are built, and able to be tweaked and adjusted the way a big radio would be adjusted. Too many of the 2 meter units out there are VHF versions of CB radios, with a few simple controls and little flexibility. The 25 watts of output (continuously variable with an RF knob), is more than enough for my needs. Everyone I talk to loves this thing almost as much as I do. I have it hooked up to a home brew Slim Jim antenna, and I can get just about anywhere in my metro area on the lowest power of two watts. I am surprised at some of the criticisms I have heard. The unit is neither deaf, nor is it underpowered. The only downside to the 711 is that it is so satisfying to operate, you might never be tempted to make the move to HF.

GM1FLQ Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2009 05:28 Send this review to a friend
It's simple, it's deaf  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Needs a masthead pre-amp because on its own it is deaf. Changed mine for an FT290 mk1 with Mutek and then realised just how deaf the 711 was. I bought my 711 new - for less money I got a new FT290 with pre-amp fitted and a new 100w linear.

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Continues to be a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a wonderful old workhorse 2 meter all mode radio. I have used it for SSB and FM and now CW it is works great for all situations. I love the clicking of the VFO/channel knob from channel to channel then it goes to smooth turning when in VFO mode. Have replace the S-meter bulb twice with Radio Shack bulbs and the PA once after years of use and I think a high SWR may have cooked it when I switched to an un-tuned antenna. I get frequent reports of great audio with this rig on FM and never get them with the FT-897 or IC-746Pro.

WA4RVB Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 11:17 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ALL MODE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought New 22 Years ago. Not one Problem. Still Looks as good as new.One Great Kenwood Radio..

KA5ROW Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2008 22:41 Send this review to a friend
TS-711A Fine Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Kenwood TS-711A was my second 2 meter all mode radio my first was a Kenwood TR-751A and for a time I owned them both at the same time. With a antenna switch I could go between the two radios. The TR-751A had a better receiver when a station was very weak, When it was not readable on the TS-711A I could tell what the other station was saying in the TR-751A but still weak.
Just for a reference purpose on the TS-711A a S reading of 1 and maybe 10% copy. The TR-751A would have a S reading of 2 and 85% copy but weak. I was happy with both radios and and had no issues with either one, I sold them to buy the Kenwood TS-790A
I bought the TR-751A new and owned it 10 years.
I bought the TS-711A used and owned it 3 years.