Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TS-711A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-711A
Kenwood TS-711A Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 25 Watt 2 meter all mode base station (circa 1984)
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-711_TS-811/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-711A.

K5YY Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2005 13:41 Send this review to a friend
good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had 2 of these over the years. Drawback is the low power output, not enough to drive the KW amps out there. To the reviewer who wants 25 instead of 20 watts out, this is so small an increase for "barefoot" that you will not see a significant difference in reports you get.
The output is similar to the Yaesu FT726R and a bit less than the 736R. All of these rigs need at least a brick amplifier to be competitive for low signal work. They barely drive a 3CX800 amp to about 400-500 watts. The newer 100w 2 meter rigs are much more self sufficient, can drive a KW amp and power can be lowered down to drive a 25-40 watts "in" 250 -300 watt brick amp.
Bottom line, if you want to do anything other than local repeater work, like doing tropo, meteor scatter, E skip, ducting and such, you will need a brick amp at a minimum...
Just my thoughts. The 20-25 watt rigs will mainly just drive a brick amp, not a KW unless maybe the newer tetrode models (4CX800) with lower drive requirements.
To the reviewer below, keep the output at 20 watts, do not cut back the alc clamp and the finals will last longer too... Get a cheap brick amp with 160 watts output and built in preamp. ALL of these rigs need preamp help for low signal work...
Good hunting on VHF!
San K5YY

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2005 12:53 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
GREAT RADIO FOR THE MONEY.THIS RADIO WORKS GREAT ON REPEATERS AND SSB MODE GOOD RIG. CAN FIND THEM FOR $300.00 AND UP.

VE9GUS Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2005 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Nice RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the 711A second hand about 6 months ago and I am very pleased with it so far, The radio is very attractive and looks good in my shack. Works good on all modes. The one complaint I do have is that this rig is suppose to provide 25 Watts Output and mine is only 20 Watts across all bands?? I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if there is a way that I can increase the power without having to get an amplifier. I don't see anything in the schematic to do this. Thank you.

KD4JXZ Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2005 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Jewel in the rough!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for several years and it performs flawlessly! It's simple, yet effective, especially for working SSB. I use a Kenwood MC-60 mic with it and I always have great audio reports! If you're looking for something to work weak signal, this one will help you pull those stations in, with the help of a beam!

K4CDK Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2005 11:10 Send this review to a friend
2 Meter All Mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was looking for a 2 mtr. all mode to work with. Read all of the reviews and checked around for used equipment. Ran across this one from a ham in Texas. Told me it was in great shape (9.9). Have found it to be peerfect for what I wanted. Good receiver, no intermode problems, SSB works great and have been having fun with the CW. It matches the TS570S and looks good in my shack. Has performed very well and met what I was looking for.

SM5SRR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2005 01:39 Send this review to a friend
2m allmode, 25 watt  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just traded my old TS-700G for the TS-711A. Have been using it for a few months now. Good sensitivity and easy to learn knobs and functions. I miss a VOX function on this rig but overall am very happy with it! (I use the rig mainly for satellites and Aurora)

F5GKW Rating: 3/5 Dec 27, 2004 05:18 Send this review to a friend
TS-711A CW /FM  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello !
I am also owner of a TS711. I fo prefer my very old FT 726 for use in CW : On the Knwd, the AGC in CW rx is fixed (too fast). So on big sigs, it is realy unpleasant. I listen in fact in SSB mode (to have slow agc) and Tx, Of course in cw.
It is not the same on my FT726, CW operation is more comfortable.

My Knwd have also a little pb on FM mode, the frequency is "shifted" about 2.5khz on FM. I never found the problem because it appears sometimes, and disapears when I want to correct it because I have time for free !
On a 2nd hand, The TS711 (and FT726) are not ready for 12.5 Khz operation!!! (Rx bandwtith too large, you must change filters which are not designed by kenwood)

Sorry for my bad English,
Jean-Philippe
F5GKW
Best whishes for holiday's season !

WB2CUK Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2004 11:53 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my 711a since 1986. Bought new. Did research on other radios, but power output and internal ac supply sealed the deal! Last major purchase before marriage! Use it to run the Limarc swap & shop net on 146.85. Been a real work horse, no problems, an excellent Base radio.
Will never sell it unless going bankrupt. Would sell stove & fridge first!
T

SP1EK Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2004 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Great RiG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use TS 711A since three months and all what can I say that It has excellent selectivity and sensitivity. Have also gotten excellent transmit audio reports.No problem with making DX.Only one missing is use narrow CW filters.

Regrds
Bart SP1EK

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2004 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent VHF All Mode Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a TS-711A used. It has excellent selectivity and sensitivity. Have also gotten excellent transmit audio reports. This is going to be another Kenwood classic.