Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu G-1000DXA Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu G-1000DXA
Yaesu G-1000DXA Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $500.00
Description: This new, high-performance rotator is ideal for heavy-duty applications. Its slim-line constructions is ideal for many crank-up tower installations. Rotation range: 450, with presets.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=104&encProdID=tHLUWYhbsj0%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu G-1000DXA.

W9RAS Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2017 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Just got a new G1000DXA   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed my new Yaesu G1000DXA yesterday . Tilted the tower down and installed it using a 8 foot stepladder. The short bottom rotor bolts to the Rohn 25 G tower plate were a perfect match there was no play to slide the rotor motor around thats GOOD it was centered perfectly without fiddling around . I dipped the bolts in grease as recommended in the installation instructions . Drilling the hole through the mast and through the existing top bracket holes was tricky and I missed a little coming out the other side making the hole elongated a little I don't know how a guy could get this perfect with a hand drill working on top of a stepladder with the tower down sideways. I used a couple of washers under the nut for this long bolt through the mast then because the supplied bolt would not fit in between the bracket ribs with the hole off center so the large washers I put on over the top of the bracket ribs and the bolt worked fine that way . I did drill with a small drill bit first it was a 3/16ths as I RECALL THEN I drilled it with a 21/64ths bit dipping the bits in the grease occasionally for a bit of lube . Tightening the top bracket caused problems the lock washers slipped into the bolt holes and the lock washers were tilted and did not work correctly SO 4 more small washers with 5/16ths holes were placed on these bolts so the lockwashers could work properly against a flat surface . It was difficult to observe the lockwashers compressing as stated in the instructions so I just tightened the nuts up snug with a small end wrench . Soldering the 7 pin connector to the existing 6 conductor rotor cable was another difficult task up on the step ladder the pins the wires go into in the connector are are quite small and are very loose mounted They have a slot in one side for soldering and they kept spinning and wiggling around as I tried to flow solder into that slot,hold the wire in place and the solder and the soldering iron all I needed was 4 hands to do it . Finally I got a pair of vice grip pliers taped the pliers with electrical tape around and around on the top of the ladder and gently gripped the connector with it . It took awhile but I got the connector on OK . Then it was the connector on the other end that was another difficult task .These pins are tin plated pins and TIN corrodes after a couple of years in normal humidity air thats why most computers have gold plated connectors the pins supplied are so SMALL as well I finally got that done and was rewarded by the rotor working smoothly just like it was supposed to . I did put a teeny dab of clear silicon grease on each connector pin at the box and at the tower end of the cable to prevent the tin corrosion loose contact effect . This works good and I have done it for 30 years with very good results . Remember Tin plated connectors are a loose connection waiting to happen ... SO for these aforementioned reasons I gave the rotor a rating of 4 because it works so good ... I don't know why Yaesu Company did not use bigger connectors on the rotor box they are very cheap and it would not cost any more than the tiny pins supplied . I worked at Heathkit engineering and we used Molex connectors that were larger and easier to use . The American made rotors have screws to connect to in my opinion this is a better arrangement much easier to do up on a tower . I certainly hope this rotor lasts a long time it was certainly not cheap to buy but as Paul Harvey used to say "That is the rest of the story " 73 B0B W9RAS

WX2CX Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2017 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Good rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good rotor, control box is ok. I replaced control box for a Green Heron RT-21 that is more accurate. Overall I like this rotor.

PY2KNK Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2016 03:53 Send this review to a friend
excellent rotator!  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best antenna rotators I have in my station.

I own 3 rotors, the first bought in 2001, never had any problems and any maintenance (currently works with two Yagis 7.5 meters boom for 10 meters band stacked), the second was recently purchased and works with an antenna 10 meter boom for the band of 40 meters, and the third rotor's newest family works with 3 antennas one AS3 (12.17 m), down a monoband 15 meters (home made 6,8meters size boom) and other below the same for the band of 20 meters.

Photos of antennas in my qrz.com

Here is a region that windy, and endured difficult conditions, I am very satisfied.

PY2KNK

VE3KKQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2012 17:34 Send this review to a friend
That damb controller connector  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine this summer. Had everything all set up ready to go for when the beam was installed. Tried it one last time and nothing. Spent an hour running up and down basement stairs checking this and that, then remembered all the reviews commenting on the controller connector.Yup, it was one of the contacts. So off to the local supplier and picked a 6pin mic (Foster) connector and installed it, shouldn't fail now for quite some time!

K5SL Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2012 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Rotor-Bad Support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an 800 and now a 1000DXA. I have fixed my 1000 when the set screw on the main gear backed out. I have been inside the 800s and 1000DXA control boxes. I have no problems with the tower side of these rotors. Be carefull tightening the mast clamps. Being able to move up to a 1000 from the 800 series rotor just by just bolting it in- is nice. We like the slow turn ability of the rotor with big HF yagi's. My 1000DXA controller went bad and that is when the story goes bad-real bad. Yaesu's documentation is confusing. I had revision C another box had D boards. We had to figure out what schematic went with what board by the components on each board. Yaesu service will not let you talk to a tech to try and diagnose anything yourself. The ps board (<30 parts)is the smaller of the two in it, and and they want $340 for replacement? Come on!! The more complex controller board must be $1000 then? Even the nice parts lady said "better off buying a new rotor for $550". That gives you a good feeling! I had heard from another ham in town his anger filled story when he called Yaesu service on his rotor. I now believe him. Five other hams in town have these rotors and are starting to fear they will soon go extinct. Come on Yaesu America-you can do better than that! Wonder if they really care?

KA4ETV Rating: 3/5 Jan 10, 2012 09:25 Send this review to a friend
hope this works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Doing a tower project and in an effort to "do it right the first time" I replaced my HD73 with this rotor.

I was surprised to find that from the reviews rotors appear to be like political candidates....a lesser of evils proposition. This was surprising since rotors have been around for a long time and you would think that they would be pretty fool proof by now. However the ratings on the reviews were pretty bad. I hate to have to buy a Yaesu product but again I took the plunge since the alternatives seemed to be worse.

The Yaesu rotor looks really good. The pole mount seems to be as good a quality as the HD73 (which was a great rotor). The black finish is nice and I suppose time will tell how it wears.
The rotor box (in my opinion is much nicer than the competitors and has more features. I have seen that some of these features do not operate properly but we have not gotten that far yet.

The calibration process seems tedious and I am still not sure its calibrated correctly. The adjustment pots on the back are extremely cheap and the molex connector is another thing Yaesu should get away from. I will pay more for a solid metal chassis mounted connector and some quality durable adjustment pots. So I am really disappointed already with this aspect of the rotor box, Why make a nice rotor controller and have this confusing calibration process and these cheap pots??

I hope I am not going to have to send this back. I have seen that the Yaesu service on this terrible and I have more than enough experience with them to know this is a fact.

The other choice for me was the Hygain line but honestly with MFJ involvement I just couldn't take the chance. I have more of their crap collecting dust around here than I can to mention.

Hopefully I will be back soon with a better review but so far it could be better.

W8TRN Rating: 0/5 Aug 2, 2011 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Controller Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
Three months after purchasing a new G1000, the controller went south really. Using the "preset" or rocker switch to turn the rotator, the indicator needle on the controller spins wildly soutn or north and eventually turns a normal speed. The antenna, during the controller spasm, turns at normal speed. I sent the controller and rotator to Yaesu (twice) and no trouble found. This is an intermittent problem. I've changed the pins at the controller and plug and the rotator - same problem. The problem is unquestionably at the controller. FWIW, I purchased a commercial product used mainly by computer manufacturers to ensure contact between connectors/pins etc. This product did not solve the problem. Addy is mcelmer1@netecin.net

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2010 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has worked for 6 years rotating a Force 12 C4EXL beam (40 - 10, 11 elements on a 30 foot boom). Had no problem with assembly, testing or installation. F12 beam is mounted inside the tower with a 10 foot steel mast through a Glen Martin thrust bearing.

K1LI Rating: 1/5 Aug 29, 2009 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Not suitable for long cable runs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The connectors on both the rotor-end and the controller-end cannot accept the larger wire gauges that are essential for long cable runs. The instructions for assembling the connectors are too sketchy to be useful (actually, sketches would help) - I have owned VCRs with better installation instructions - leading to hours wasted trying to accomplish what is normally a childishly simple operation. Also, there is no strain relief for the controller-end cable, a real problem with stiffer, heavy-duty rotor cable.

When you think about this for two seconds, you realize that heavy-duty cable should not be needed. Yaesu should use the two "spare" wires commonly available in 8-wire rotor cable to sense the motor voltage at the rotor and adjust the voltage at the controller end.

Yes, there are many work-arounds for these issues, but why should you have to work around such basic design deficiencies?

W4RIG Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2009 16:56 Send this review to a friend
An excellent antenna rotator  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rotator has enough power and is built to handle a substantial array of beams. I have a Hy-Gain TH3-MK4 Tri-Band beam for 10-15-20 M, a 4-element 6M and 10 el 2 Meter stacked from bottom to top above a 29 foot flat top Rohn Tower with Vertex (Yaesu) thrust bearing supporting about 100 pounds of 2 inch galvanized pipe for a 20 foot mast set 4 feet into the tower to the rotor plate(45 feet from ground level to top of the mast) and this rotator really does the job - at slow or fast speeds. I really like the 360 + 90 rotation and the analog control box. Operating for less than 3 months, but it has already handled stiff 50-60 mph wind gusts and ice and snow aplenty. I expect a long useful life from this piece of high quality equipment.