Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Jetstream JTPS28 Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JTPS28
Jetstream JTPS28 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 25/28 amp power supply. 25 amp continuous / 28 amp peak.
More info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jtps28.shtml

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JTPS28.

K4KPK Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2012 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Loud fan with zero load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The fan noise is a real problem. Even with zero load, the fan is too loud. If I move it far enough away from my operating position for the fan noise to be acceptable, the cable carrying the 13.8V is so long that I get significant voltage drop.

Under heavy load, the fan noise is way too loud.

I knew about the heavy load noise when I bought it. The advertised "quiet" mode, when lightly loaded isn't there. Truth-in-advertising would call it "less thunderous."

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2012 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Good..moderate fan noise  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like my JPS 28, but notice the fan when it kicks on high under heavier loads. To be fair, I was powering my TS480HX 200w rig at approx. 120 watts on field day with just one supply which worked it at its max. I liked the supply otherwise so much, I decided to get a second one to power the 480 properly with 2 supplies. Running 2 supplies hopefully will keep the fans from swithcing to high too often with SSB communications. Too bad they can't make switcher supplies without fans...hihi. No RF switcher hash noticed at all, and otherwise it's been trouble free.

KJ4KKI Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2011 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice for Desk or Portable Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to have to take on vacation, trips, etc. I specifically liked it because it is a small footprint and affordable. I haven't noticed any hash so far, but the bands haven't been good for DX lately. The fan light stays on. As for binding posts on the front, my 30A linear supply has all the posts on the front. Cosmetically, it would look nicer, but it doesn't affect function. It is a good size to fit in my satchel with my 450. To make it more versatile, I added several power poles to have a jumper cable so I don't have to unscrew my 450 power cable from my linear supply. I also have jumpers for my mobile that are both ring terminals for the front, and tinned ends for the rear spring connectors. About the only negative I found was that I had to push the power plug rather firmly into the back,as any movement or vibration would cause it to turn off.

W2PL Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2011 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Superb performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had hesitated in getting a switching power supply for a long time because of their reputation for generating hash. I decided, after reading reviews, to give this unit a try as I really needed a small sized power supply to bring with me on trips. I was amazed at this little unit. There is not a spec of any kind of hash generated anywhere on the bands and the supply performs very well. The output is well regulated with virtually no fluctuation under load and runs very cool.

Some posters have commented about the fan noise, and you can certainly hear the fan in an otherwise silent room, but I would not consider it overly loud or annoying -- to me it is quite acceptable, but it is noticeable.

I would certainly recommend this unit to anyone without hesitation.

73, Phil

NR0U Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2010 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Great PS...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been using this PS for about a month. Really like it. Quiet fan, stays cool. The only oddity I find is that the binding posts are on the front(which I knew when I bought it), which makes running the cables back behind everything a bit difficult. Another oddity, is the fuse box location is within maybe 8 inches of the cable ends, so you can't hide that box in the back of the unit since the posts are in the front. Otherwise really like it.

KJ4WLH Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2010 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Works fine, Fan is loud.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Overall Ranking
1. Unit works as advertised
2. Better than OK
3. Fan makes it not great

Pros:
1. Price
2. Nice control on/off location
3. Cig Adapter in front is convenient

Cons:
1. Fan is much too loud! Would be nice if it spun down based upon internal temp (or some other metric).
2. Radiates minor background noise - not much, but it's there.
3. Posts don't handle "stock" power supply wires. I've had to "cut away/strip" some of the wire braid to make the wire fit.

Notes:
Things that would be nice to change/improve the unit. However, I did purchase this model knowing what I was getting - that's why they are not part of the Pro/Con section :)
1. Posts would have been nicer in the back
2. Another set of 28A jacks in rear would be nice. (I have a an HF rig and a VHF/UHF rig that both need DC power - 1 PS with 2 separate jacks would have been great!)

KJ4WLH

KB7ZNV Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2010 13:24 Send this review to a friend
JetstreamJTPSN is an excellent buy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, I want to thank CHEAPHAM.COM for getting this item to me in 3 days from the time I ordered it,and in great condition.

Now, for the Jetstream JTPS28.
It runs my 100 Watt Yaesu FT-450AT just fine. The fan is a little noisy but I can certainly live with it. The power supply looks much better than the heavy Motorola PS that it was bought to replace.
(But, my Motorola is 30 years old and still works great).
Anyway, I like the extra cigarette lighter socket on the front, and the other connectors on the back of the unit.
At this time I have no complaints. Let's see how long it lasts.
Cheapham.com...Expect much more of my business in the future.

KF5EYR Rating: 1/5 Apr 7, 2010 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Bad Out Of The Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My copy was bad out of the box. Immediately tripped the circuit protection. When I finally got it to stay running; I had constant voltage spikes and repeated shut downs. I emailed Jetstream, and they got back to me after 3 days or so, and told me they would swap it out. I decided I didn't want to fool with all the packing, insurance, and the somewhat tardy reply etc. I ordered an Astron linear which has turned out to be an excellent purchase. I stripped what I thought I could use off of the Jetstream and chunked it. Most of the reviews I have read on Jetstream are usually good and I was somewhat surprised that mine was a lemon. I am sure mine was just a glitch on the assembly line. Be that as it may, good quality control would have caught it at the end of the assembly process. But, did not. So, I am unlikely to purchase any other Jetstream product in the future.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Switcher  Time owned: more than 12 months
The other reviews are right on. My linear supplies are now door stops. This little guy is environmentally correct and does the job for less than $100.00.

N2KTV Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2009 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Little Power Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice little power supply. I concur with the other reviewers - a bit noisy, but I bought this one used on e-bay for $59 & you just can't go wrong at that price