Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Jetstream JTPS28 Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JTPS28
Jetstream JTPS28 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 25/28 amp power supply. 25 amp continuous / 28 amp peak.
More info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jtps28.shtml

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JTPS28.

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2014 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works just fine... 13.8 volts DC, no noise on HF, quiet, and SMALL and easy to carry portable or as a bench supply.

I modified mine with a pair of Power Poles on the back keeping the front the same... took about an hour to drill, file, snap in, solder jumpers to front panel the pair of poles.
I have the best of both worlds front for easy testing and a 12 volt DC socket to charge a battery or power something small and the rear for powering my radio. My friend took out the front 12 v socket and wired a pair of PP in a socket on the front. Both systems work great.

A Best Buy in my book and available from a number of suppliers for under 90 dollars.

K9FB Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2014 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Yes, it's noisy  Time owned: more than 12 months
For five years my JTPS28 has been in continuous service powering my station from my garage on the other side of the hamshack wall. It was evicted from the hamshack after the first day due to the annoying fan noise. If I were running a window air conditioner in the same room, I might not hear the fan. But in my quiet shack, the fan noise cut through the silence like a knife. Furthermore, the fan is mounted at an angle off horizontal in the enclosure that hastens the wear on its sleeve bearing. The first fan began squealing loudly within one year and had to be replaced. Now the supply sits on its side so that the fan is oriented vertically, and the fan life has been doubled. I'm now on the second replacement fan. Otherwise, the JTPS28 has supplied power reliably and efficiently. I have no qualms with that, but even my old ears are offended by both the level and the characteristics of the fan noise. It still gets my attention every time I walk out into the garage.

AF5CC Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2014 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Noisy fan?? Give me a break!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Where do some of these reviewers live-in a Monastery where the monks have taken a vow of silence? I can't believe some of their homes are that quiet that they can hear the fan in this unit!

I have had one of these since I picked it up in a trade in 2006-that is 8 years without a problem. I did clean it out once or twice to get the dust out of it, that is about it. It just keeps working and working. Never really turn it off unless I go on vacation and I have taken it on a couple of trips with me as well. Nice, small and very light, and will handle any 100 watt rig with ease. I have run a 706 series radio at 15 watts on 2m driving a Mirage amp at 80 watts with no problem on the PS.

To be honest, I had forgotten that it has a fan until I read these reviews. Put my hand down by it, and felt the fan blowing air lightly. That is how quiet it is-I couldn't even hear it. The fan on my Icom 706MKII is much louder when it kicks into high gear, but that doesn't bother me either as I would rather have a little fan noise than a dead rig.

I only have 1 kid, I didn't realize how noisy my house is until I read some of these reviews. I am only 47 so I didn't think my hearing is as shot as it must be. Give me a break!

K4KPK Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2012 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Loud fan with zero load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The fan noise is a real problem. Even with zero load, the fan is too loud. If I move it far enough away from my operating position for the fan noise to be acceptable, the cable carrying the 13.8V is so long that I get significant voltage drop.

Under heavy load, the fan noise is way too loud.

I knew about the heavy load noise when I bought it. The advertised "quiet" mode, when lightly loaded isn't there. Truth-in-advertising would call it "less thunderous."

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2012 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Good..moderate fan noise  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like my JPS 28, but notice the fan when it kicks on high under heavier loads. To be fair, I was powering my TS480HX 200w rig at approx. 120 watts on field day with just one supply which worked it at its max. I liked the supply otherwise so much, I decided to get a second one to power the 480 properly with 2 supplies. Running 2 supplies hopefully will keep the fans from swithcing to high too often with SSB communications. Too bad they can't make switcher supplies without fans...hihi. No RF switcher hash noticed at all, and otherwise it's been trouble free.

KJ4KKI Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2011 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice for Desk or Portable Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to have to take on vacation, trips, etc. I specifically liked it because it is a small footprint and affordable. I haven't noticed any hash so far, but the bands haven't been good for DX lately. The fan light stays on. As for binding posts on the front, my 30A linear supply has all the posts on the front. Cosmetically, it would look nicer, but it doesn't affect function. It is a good size to fit in my satchel with my 450. To make it more versatile, I added several power poles to have a jumper cable so I don't have to unscrew my 450 power cable from my linear supply. I also have jumpers for my mobile that are both ring terminals for the front, and tinned ends for the rear spring connectors. About the only negative I found was that I had to push the power plug rather firmly into the back,as any movement or vibration would cause it to turn off.

W2PL Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2011 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Superb performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had hesitated in getting a switching power supply for a long time because of their reputation for generating hash. I decided, after reading reviews, to give this unit a try as I really needed a small sized power supply to bring with me on trips. I was amazed at this little unit. There is not a spec of any kind of hash generated anywhere on the bands and the supply performs very well. The output is well regulated with virtually no fluctuation under load and runs very cool.

Some posters have commented about the fan noise, and you can certainly hear the fan in an otherwise silent room, but I would not consider it overly loud or annoying -- to me it is quite acceptable, but it is noticeable.

I would certainly recommend this unit to anyone without hesitation.

73, Phil

NR0U Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2010 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Great PS...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been using this PS for about a month. Really like it. Quiet fan, stays cool. The only oddity I find is that the binding posts are on the front(which I knew when I bought it), which makes running the cables back behind everything a bit difficult. Another oddity, is the fuse box location is within maybe 8 inches of the cable ends, so you can't hide that box in the back of the unit since the posts are in the front. Otherwise really like it.

KJ4WLH Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2010 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Works fine, Fan is loud.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Overall Ranking
1. Unit works as advertised
2. Better than OK
3. Fan makes it not great

Pros:
1. Price
2. Nice control on/off location
3. Cig Adapter in front is convenient

Cons:
1. Fan is much too loud! Would be nice if it spun down based upon internal temp (or some other metric).
2. Radiates minor background noise - not much, but it's there.
3. Posts don't handle "stock" power supply wires. I've had to "cut away/strip" some of the wire braid to make the wire fit.

Notes:
Things that would be nice to change/improve the unit. However, I did purchase this model knowing what I was getting - that's why they are not part of the Pro/Con section :)
1. Posts would have been nicer in the back
2. Another set of 28A jacks in rear would be nice. (I have a an HF rig and a VHF/UHF rig that both need DC power - 1 PS with 2 separate jacks would have been great!)

KJ4WLH

KB7ZNV Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2010 13:24 Send this review to a friend
JetstreamJTPSN is an excellent buy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, I want to thank CHEAPHAM.COM for getting this item to me in 3 days from the time I ordered it,and in great condition.

Now, for the Jetstream JTPS28.
It runs my 100 Watt Yaesu FT-450AT just fine. The fan is a little noisy but I can certainly live with it. The power supply looks much better than the heavy Motorola PS that it was bought to replace.
(But, my Motorola is 30 years old and still works great).
Anyway, I like the extra cigarette lighter socket on the front, and the other connectors on the back of the unit.
At this time I have no complaints. Let's see how long it lasts.
Cheapham.com...Expect much more of my business in the future.