Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Plus Version) Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Plus Version)
RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Plus Version) Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $305.
Description: RigExpert Plus is an electronic device designed to operate phone, CW, and digital modes using personal computer and transceiver. Previously, a TNC or sound card was needed for this purpose, along with lots of cables, occupying computer sound card and serial ports. All of this is not needed anymore. Following up-to-date technology, USB interface is chosen to connect RigExpert Plus to a computer. No additional interface circuit needed for transceiver connection.

RigExpert Plus combines:

Transceiver audio interface for operating digital modes, voice recording and playback Ė a totally compatible sound card for any ham radio software.
CAT (Computer Aided Transceiver) system, which controls transceiver frequency, mode and other functions by computer, supporting various models of transceivers.
FSK operation to get crystal-clear RTTY signal.
Built-in electronic CW keyer (using the popular WINKEY version 10 chip).

In addition to a year of full warranty we offer our customers a 30-day money back guarantee (100% refund), if you don't like the product.

More info: http://www.rigexpert.net/main.html

You can write your own review of the RigExpert USB Transceiver Interface (Plus Version).

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2011 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Still going great...............  Time owned: more than 12 months
I probably purchased one of the first Plus units to come on the market. Also took it to Bahrain with me (A92HB) and had a whale of a time working RTTY pile ups. We are back home now, and it is connected to my new FTdx5000D, this combination has proved to be an absolute killer on RTTY. Possibly overprice as quoted by an earlier reviewer, but what the hell, it does the job and it makes me smile. 73's, John

NG9W Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2010 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Literally Plug 'N Play  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my RigExpert Plus used to replace the RigExpert Standard and WinKey WKUSB keyer that were destroyed by a line surge coming through my computer (which cost me a motherboard, too).

The built-in sound card chip is really its best feature. I know of no other product with its own sound chip--all seem to depend on the sound card of the computer.

I do miss the DB-9 serial port of the RigExpert Standard because that is what I used to connect my TNC to the computer. However, the RigExpert Plus acts as a one-port USB hub, so with a USB-to-serial converter, I get the same functionality.

I've used it so far with MixW 2.18 and DigiPan. I've also used it to CAT my Icom 746PRO (Icom is just a little too proud of the CT-17). CAT control with MixW, DigiPan, Log Window 4.5, TRX-Manager, all HRD 4 all works well.

The WinKey software I had from my WKUSB also works with the built-in WinKey keyer. Just have to tell it what COM port CW is on.

David, NG9W (ex-KE1IN)

ZS6BUN Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the RigExpert Plus now for 1 month with both my Orion 1 and TS2000.

It does says exactly what it says it will do.

The software is easy to install and I have the feeling (I can't prove it) that the waterfall is cleaner than using the onboard computer soundcard and that I get a better copy with the RigExpert Plus. It's certainly an improvement over the rats nest of wiring I had with my homebrew interface.

KK7P Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied - It Just Works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this unit for several years and have used it with a variety of radios. I made my own interface cables from the information on the website. I've used all the features of the interface, and everything just works.

I'm currently using it with an Elecraft K3. Unlike some competing products, I can do a firmware upgrade through the RigExpert without disabling anything.

KD0TRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 14:48 Send this review to a friend
RigExpert Plus is Good To Go  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
RigExpert Plus Ė Purchased from Yuri in Canada. I am currently using the RigExpert Plus on two radios, it costs more than others but the quality of the cables alone is worth it to me. I like having only the one USB cable coming over to the laptop and no need for external power.

ICOM 7000
ICOM 756ProIII

Laptop running XP with HRD and DM780. In HRD, I had to Select Tools, SoundCards, Volume Level and kick it up to 100% to get things working. I find that it is easy enough to leave the HRD and DM780 running on the laptop at all times Ė I turn the radio on and off as I am doing other things. Otherwise, if I try to bring the HRD and DM780 up and down, they eventually lose connectivity with the radio Ė no big deal.

Iím very happy with the quality and the performance.

VA2WDQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2008 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have my RigExpert Plus in everyday use since august 2007. And itís functioning great! I have purchased mine from Yuri, VE3DZ. He was prompt, helpful, and patient with all my questions. Gold customer service! He provided custom cables ready-to-work right out of the box for my Yaesu FT-1000 and Icom IC-746. I am interfacing my both rigs to my Windows XP desktop.

It took me only 5 minutes to have my RigExpert Plus installed. That requires only the device to be connected to a PC by USB cable and to put RigExpert software CD to a CD ROM drive. All my HAM Radio applications (N1MM, WriteLog, DXLab suite and Ham Radio Deluxe) are using Rig Expert flawlessly. They can work CW, JT65, PSK, Packet, and FSK RTTY effortlessly - plus have full CAT control for my rigs. RigExpert Plus has absolutely everything inside. It has dedicated high performance sound card with wired and optical In/Out ports (!!), Winkey chip with a port for a CW paddle cable and PTT. I like CW most of all and I can mix software and manual keying easy. The CW keying speed could be adjusted from a software or by the RigExpert Plus front face regulator pot. That really helps during CW contest. Except CW it works very well for me in digital modes: RTTY, PSK and JT65 as well.

Iím really happy with my Rig Expert Plus Interface. Actually I think there are not any analogs to Rig Expert Plus from other competitors. All of them as like Microham and RigBluster still missed some options Rig Expert Plus already has. And RigExpert Plus is the SMALLEST USB Interface. That's very important if you are working /portable.

VE3OIJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2007 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I switched from the Tiny version to this version due to the more limited sound card controls of Vista Ultimate, compared to XP Pro. Vista still has issues with FSK and this device, but I admit that there could be specific issues in my OS setup.

IN any case, it works and it works well. It's easy enough to use on digital modes and CW.

I'd recommend it to anyone looking to get into digital modes.

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2007 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have limited experience with this product, Since just trying it out for the first time this week. My reason for buying it was that most of the psk s/w I tried with my Argonaut V didn't allow for good tx audio control from an IBM notebook. So off to a dx holiday in VP5 land, I packed up the Rigexpert and the Mixw cd with the cable supplied by Yuri. Perfect, is all I can say. Plug and play, no problems. I happily paid the registration for Mixw. Now I can see why so many of the psk folks use this s/w. It is by far the best I have tried. What I really like about the Rigexpert is the simple control it gives you. It just works. Nice job folks!

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 05:05 Send this review to a friend
The only one that worked for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have followed a long road to finding a computer interface to get on the air on PSK31 and RTTY, one that will handle standard software like Digipan and MMTTY with the Ten-Tec Orion. I got some of the simple ones for under $100 each. None of them really worked right for me.

Finally, I ordered the RigExpert Plus. The cost then was a whopping $445. (Now it is $355.) The former RigExpert dealer in the U.S. would not send me the required cable for the Orion. He even stopped responding to my requests for it. He was apparently too busy working on new sales. I was really angry about this very poor product support. The former dealer is now marketing a close copy of the RigExpert which even uses the same cables as the RigExpert. I would steer clear of that one. Why get a knock-off when you can get the real thing for less?

I tried to fabricate the RigExpert cable for the Orion myself, but I failed. This is probably something I could learn to do with practice, but doing it just once is hard. Without the proper cable the RigExpert was unusable, so I put it up on the shelf for a year and tried to forget about it.

Fortunately, RigExpert now has a great new dealer in North America, Yuri VE3DZ. He supplies the required RigExpert cables for all rigs including the Orion. I now have the RigExpert Plus working with the Orion and also tried it out successfully with the Kenwood TS-2000X. I use it with RigExpertís related software product, MixW. It is a great combination. RigExpert also works fine with other popular freeware programs.

Two things make RigExpert better than many other USB interfaces. One is that it has a true installation program that automatically sets up dedicated virtual COM ports for CAT, PTT, FSK and CW. The cheaper interfaces just rely on Windows drivers. The major programs all require virtual COM ports to be set up. It is up to you to figure out how to do that. Youíre pretty much on your own. Good luck. If you install MixW, the installation software automatically picks up the COM ports already generated by the RigExpert. Youíre on the air in minutes. You also have the virtual COM ports ready use with for the other popular freeware programs.

The second reason I like RigExpert is that it uses the radioís accessory plug to access its Computer Aided Transceiver (CAT) features. Using this capability already included in most recent transceivers makes RigExpert interfaces more powerful and flexible products. The cheapies donít use CAT.

The RigExpert Plus is a small and solidly built quality product. I havenít actually tried it, but in a pinch you could probably use it as a hammer. I would not hesitate to travel anywhere in Africa with it.

I like the RigExpert Plus so much that I ordered another one. I thought about getting the new RigExpert Standard version, which is $100 less expensive. The Standard basically looks like the same thing without the WinKey feature and the optical in/outputs. Unlike the RigExpert Plus, the Standard does have a serial port in the back which you can use in case your computer doesnít have one. To me, this is a bit of retro-engineering. Serial ports are a legacy of 1980 computers. They are getting hard to find. They are well on the way from obsolescence to being completely obsolete. My two-year-old Hewlett-Packard desktop didnít come with one. I had to order an older used Dell laptop to get a serial port. I am trying to rid my shack of serial devices once and for all.

On the other hand, the RigExpert Plus version is a little ahead of its time and should fit in well with rigs that most of us will be using within a few years. It is well worth the extra $100. The WinKey unit installed in the RigExpert Plus alone will cost you $100 if you order it assembled from K1EL (meaning the WKUSB).

In summary, the RigExpert Plus is a unit which I recommend to people I like. It works for me.

ZS6SIG

WB8NUT Rating: 3/5 Mar 8, 2006 04:21 Send this review to a friend
Virtual PC still needs Windows OS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Virtual PC is a Microsoft product that allows you to load another PC operating system on to a Mac computer. List for Virtual PC is $129 and Windows XP operating sytem (yup, you need to have this also) list for around $189. So with the price of this product, $449 this is an awfully expensive solution. Better to run multiple sound cards (and cheaper too) on a small cheap Windows computer. The RigExpert units are priced too high - at $449, it's almost the price of a low priced HF rig. May get rid of a few cables, but is $449 worth getting rid of a few cables? I don't think so.