Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | LPC Wireless, KI4NR Help

Reviews Summary for LPC Wireless, KI4NR
LPC Wireless, KI4NR Reviews: 156 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $40/Hr
Description: Repair Service for Yaesu, Kenwood & Icom HF Equipment.

Custom modifications, SSB Hi Fi Audio work, Lightning Damage Repairs.

Very reasonable Rates & Turn Around.

More info: http://www.qsl.net/ki4nr/index.htm

You can write your own review of the LPC Wireless, KI4NR.

W4KBX Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 18:12 Send this review to a friend
John is the MAN!  Time owned: months
John Bolduc, KI4NR, LPC Wireless, is what amateur radio and the businesses that support it should be all about. John repairs amateur radio equipment. No, wait… it's more like he gently and expertly nurses sick rigs back to better than factory condition. He does what he loves and he loves what he does.

I know because I had the rare pleasure of watching him diagnose and then correct the problems I had with my IC-746PRO, chief among them a sudden and complete loss of output and a history of mediocre audio.

Before I brought my rig to him (I'm lucky enough to live only 35 miles away), he mentioned a few things that could have caused the output loss, both of them Icom parts, both comparatively costly, and one of them virtually unobtainable. But I lucked out.

Because he'd done many 746s before mine, the first thing he looked for was an intermittent solder joint on one of the microscopic transistors on the driver board. As he pressed on it with a plastic probe then released it we could see the output come and go. I was lucky that he knows his stuff so well; no new parts to buy.

Like a cross between a watchmaker and a microsurgeon, John is obviously comfortable working on teeny-tiny SMD components. Using the smallest soldering tip I ever saw, he replaced the questionable transistor and then resoldered every connection on the entire driver board.

He also fixed my audio. Some idiot had been inside "adjusting" things and had a lot of the rig all fouled up including the bias, which affected the audio.

So after months of reports like "Your audio is distorted," and "Your audio sounds fuzzy," and having to repeat my call sign way too many times --- now I'm getting "Your audio is loud and clear!" and "Excellent audio!"

John readjusted just about everything there is to adjust before he let me have it back, and now my 746PRO works better than ever. He spent five hours turning my ugly duckling into a swan. I don't think he charged me enough but please don't tell him I said so.

KE4AMQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2014 09:06 Send this review to a friend
radio repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
been knowing john for a long while , hes a great guy and wont rip anyone off. very well natured and a great tech. as a matter of fact I have a icw31a I need to take to him for repair

NX3G Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2014 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent experience!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Couldn't be faster. Noticed the problem on Monday (746 backlight failure), sent radio on Tuesday afternoon, John told me he received it Wednesday and FIXED it the same day! He mailed it back to me on Thursday, I received it Friday and was back on the air Friday evening! Holy crap!

His charges were on the 'cheap' side - ok, the INEXPENSIVE side and the turnaround time... Well I still have have a hard time believing that!

N2JDK Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 02:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Service & Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow, talk about service. It seemed so fast that I couldn't believe the radio was done. My beloved ts-450s needed help and there was not even a thought of sending it elsewhere. John is not only extreemly reasonable in his prices, but also does a complete check up on the rig, making sure you will be happy with it! Really great service!

K4FY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Service - Reasonable Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent a twenty year old Yasue FT-990 to him and it came back NEW. If John missed anything (he even cleaned flux from the boards he serviced so “it would look professional”). It went on from there to include replacing the memory battery, doing an alignment to factory specs, and more.

John probably isn’t the cheapest guy out there, but who wants the cheapest help you can find working on expensive gear?

If I buy another piece of used gear, I plan to have it shipped to John for a going over before it hits my desk.

KT4LST Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional service at a great price  Time owned: more than 12 months
As some may know John has suspended his radio repair for the time being temporarily however I did email John just to see if he was still doing radio repair and he told me yes however he is only taking on very small repair jobs as he's going through some personal issues with his life right now unfortunately I talked to John over the weekend hopefully in 2014 thing will look better for him so all in all his business is temporarily shut down yes but like I said he is taking on small repairs from time to time so just email him and check to see if he is taking on any radio repair like I did

So Anyway Friday I took a chance to email John just to see if he's taking in any radio repair due to his website saying that he was temporarily shut down
I called John about a month or two back on a radio issue that I had with My Kenwood TS 2000 it got a lightning surge strike that took out the TNC John told me sure no problem bring it by I'll take a look at it and repair so Saturday I took my radio over to John QTH and he took a look at it radio checked out fine other than the fact that the TMC did take a strike and took out the main microchip on the main board right behind the serial port he told me no problem I can fix it and have it done by Sunday morning sure enough Sunday morning I get an email from John told me that my radios fixed
All I can say about John is he's a exceptionally fast technician that really knows his stuff with lightning fast service no pun intended
And extremely reasonable prices John deafly has A+++++++++ service 100% satisfaction in my book and will definitely do business with him again Jon I want to thank you again my friend for the super fast service and great price I will definitely do business again buddy and send business your way

de Levon Tomon KT4LST

AE7DW Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a used Yaesu FT817 with a few minor issues. After talking with John about it, he provided me an estimate and agreed to check it out for me. John was able to repair the radio very quickly and at the estimated cost. John’s work is exceptional. He completed the work quickly, was excellent at communicating with me about the work, and did so at a very reasonable cost. It is obvious as to my John has a perfect rating on this site from so many people. I would highly recommend him and fully understand why he is as busy as he is!

KC4VJA Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2013 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Superior service!!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My FT-950 suffered from lightning damage and I sent it to John and he got to it very fast and very professional work. I could not be happier!

K5BAK Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Great service at a Great Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
After many years of great service my Kenwood TS 570d had to have some service. I spoke with John about the problems I was having and we determined that the radio did indeed have some internal problems but do to his overloaded bench we had to set a date for me to ship it. I waited and shipped at that date. John got right on it fixed the problems and even went the extra mile in cleaning and realining everything. It looks and runs like it was new. On top of all that at a very resonable price. Hats off and a big Hug to LPC Wireless.

Doug
K5BAK

W4MIL Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2013 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied. Excellent quality of repair. Recommended.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired a Kenwood TS-50 (second one owned)and it soon began losing Rx audio along with some functionality. Upon inspection, John found that the rig had been poorly serviced in the past and that lightning had damaged various traces and some electrolytic caps. John took before and after pictures of the damaged areas and the rig looks spanking new inside. He also cleaned up the remaining boards, repaired a couple of thru-holes, replaced many SM caps and tuned the rig to factory specs. It works and looks like new. Fair pricing and quick turn-around. I'm a very satisfied customer. I highly recommend KI4NR, John, if you have a rig needing repair.

Chuck, W4MIL