Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure Beta 87A Help

Reviews Summary for Shure Beta 87A
Shure Beta 87A Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$250.00
Description: The Shure Model Beta 87A is a premium quality supercardioid hand-held electret condenser vocal microphone with exceptionally smooth frequency response and high sound pressure level (SPL) capability. Used for professional sound reinforcement. Frequency response 50-20,000Hz.
More info: http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/beta87.asp

You can write your own review of the Shure Beta 87A.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2005 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Best of all hand held studio microphone  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this mic for about a year or so. To me, is the best studio condensor microphone out there in the $250 price range (or less). My "reference standard" mic is the Shure Beta 58A and when I put this Beta 87A against it, the sound just comes alive. The low is more pronounced, mids and highs are brilliant (but not brittle). It is a very well articulate microphone.
I always got compliment on the air of how rich and pleasant the audio sounded when I used this mic. As a matter of fact, I have used it in big DX pile-up and it puts my audio above the rest. A 9K2 station gave a report of 59 with an audio sounded like 20dB over. That pretty much said it all.
I have also noticed that most of Elton John and Paul Mc Cartney's live performances, the lead singer used this very same microphone. The mic has little to none of the proximity effect. Off axis is tight, ideal for noisy environments (just background fan noises in typical hamshack).
Mic is very light and does require 48V phantom power.