Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | KU4AB SQ-432 70cm square loop Help

Reviews Summary for KU4AB SQ-432 70cm square loop
KU4AB SQ-432 70cm square loop Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Horizontal polarization and a omnidirectional pattern makes the SQ design GREAT for UHF sideband. The Hairpin match/mount makes the antenna extremely quiet for weak signal receiving because the DC ground keeps down static.
More info: http://ku4ab.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the KU4AB SQ-432 70cm square loop.

KK1X Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Great product & support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
That 280 mile contact was on 144 with 50W. The antennas are great, but even with these, I'd be hard-pressed to do 280 miles on 432 with 20W.

KK1X Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Great product & support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Initially bought the SQ-50 6m antenna, and with only one mounted, it worked well enough for me to buy the SQ-144 and SQ-432 as well. I now have three phases stacks all mounted on one mast, according to Phil's instructions, but only at about 25'. I worked from FN42en to FN20bd (about 280 miles) on 20W during the January VHF SS, and made 100 contacts overall in the contest. Phil answered my emailed questions promptly and professionally, even giving me an education in phasing harnesses along the way. Great antennas, and great support. I'm thinking about getting a 222MHz radio just to buy more antennas from him!

MM30 Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2009 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my 3 antennas today from KU4AB. I purchased the 70CM, 2M, and the 6 meter version. To say that I am pleased with the performance and the build quality is an understatement. The 70cm version is compact and easy to mount with the SWR near perfect at 432.100. I am considering getting another one to stack, at the price and build quality these little antennas can not be beat. I can't wait to try them out during some strong openings. This one is a keeper! Mike KC2PLJ

K7MBL Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2007 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Tunes Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a pair of SQ-432's, got 'em stacked with the rest of my farm on my roof. These antennas cover almost 5 Mhz at 1.2 or better!! I'm thinking about adding a couple more. These antennas don't have the fit and finish of commercial antennas, but they deliver what Phil promises. The band is fairly dead these days, so performance-wise it's hard to give a testimonial. I've made a few QSO's out to 30 or 40 miles, but I plan to give an update once the conditions improve. So far I'm extremely happy with these antennas. I'm actually thinking about purchasing a 6m version as well!!

WB2YL Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2005 23:53 Send this review to a friend
WORKS WELL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just finished installing on my Nissan pathfinder a pair of 144mhz loops with a pair for 432 Mhz between them and on the other side I have installed a 50 mhz loop. They are mounted on a Ĺ inch 7-foot long section of water pipe on the tire carrier. All from KU4AB first let me tell you that for the price Phil sell his loops for you canít go wrong. I find the quality to be very good, if you order a stacked pair of loops it comes with the phasing harness included at no extra charge. The loops are shipped completely assembled and tested, by Phil before they are sent to you. The elements are made from solid T-6061 rod not tubing as some other are made of. Also just to let you know if you are have any problems getting your loops working as they should, Phil will be able to help you along. The SWR on the 144 Mhz loops is 1.3-1, on 432Mhz 1.2-1,and on 50Mhz the SWR is 0. It is important when you are placing the coax line to take care that as poor placement of the phasing lines or coax with affect the SWR in a negative way moving the coax closer or farther from the mast pipe will change the SWR. I made small plastic standoffs to hold the cables in the proper place. The use of a 1:1 BALUN at the feed point my change this affect so it will not be as noticeable, however I did not feel I needed to use one as the stand offs did the job. Itís also important to seal any coax connection with the proper coax seal this will keep any water from getting in to the cable. Also you should use something like PENATROX on all connections on the loops to stop any oxidation of the connections, I also sprayed the whole loop with a good UV safe clear coat, this will keep it all like new for many years to come. This I also find helps to reduce rain static & also too help by causing the water to bead up and roll off. This will help to minimize the SWR change caused by the capacitive change cause by the water build up that tends to lower the tuned frequency. This affect will be noticed more on a mobile setup and less on a fixed station the change on my mobile is abt .5 on the SWR so if itís 1.5 dry it will move to 2:1 as the system is detuned to a lower frequency by the water but as soon as the mobile moves all the beaded up water falls off and the system will be as normal. As far as the performance the system works super. I have worked from FN21in the Catskill mountains of New York too EN90, 91,92,93,82,74 FN 00,01,02,03,04,54,43,42, FM 17,18,19,29 all with the KU4AB stacked loops on 144Mhz with 160 watts from a 2000 foot hilltop near my QTH. On 432 I run 100 watts with a pair of loop between the 144mhz loops and have worked FN 03,30,31, 41,42 FM 29,19 EN93 of course this was on TROPO scatter and ducting conditions. Normal every day range is in the 150 to 200 miles. I also find that a pair will work better than only one loop, Appears to have less multpath and QSB. Also mounted on my mobile is a HI-Q model 4/80 HF antenna that covers 80 to 10 meter but thatís another story. So if you want to try VHF SSB try one of KU4AB stack loops at your station I think you will be very happy. Laura WB2YL

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2005 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Truly tiny antenna that works; great for rover, mobile...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had the KU4AB 70cm square loop up on a mast on my deck for over three months. By the time you get to 70cm these antennas are so small they no longer form a full square. The antenna is a little bigger than one hand. It's truly tiny.

At 70cm it's easy to get gain. Beams are truly small. They are also very directional with a narrow beamwidth. Having a loop up can let your hear a ducting opening and figure out which direction the band is open to. THEN you use the beam to make the QSO.

This little loop is great for mobile and portable ops. Even the most space restricted or antenna restricted ham should be able to get a couple of these up and be able to get on the air with modest gain. Having something, particularly something that works, is much better than nothing. I suspect these little loops let some hams take advantage of band openings, UHF contesting, etc... that otherwise would not be able to get on the band.

These aren't the prettiest build antennas, but they are durable and they work. Recommended.