Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar WM150M Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar WM150M
Palstar WM150M Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: The WM150M measures and displays forward power, reflected power, and SWR simultaneously on it's dual movement meter system in the frequency range. Accuracy of the readings is assured because the WM150 features a true shielded directional coupler. The backlit meter can display either peak or average power readings, and has 300 and 3000 watt range settings.
More info: http://www.palstar.com/wm150m.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar WM150M.

K7UXO Rating: 1/5 Aug 3, 2009 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Not what I expected from Palstar  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It appears to be a well built and quality meter.
Palstar has a good name.

However; poor score is given because.

Meter does not do what it is supposed to do, that is accurately measure power and swr in a repeatable way. Cardinal sin of equipment!

The cross needle meter is very poor. Depending on where the meter is set, the zero point changes. Movement of the car changes the zero point, and does not return to same zero. The meter component is a total piece of trash. A poor part in a nice box.

Purchased new - would have expected this from MFJ but not Palstar.

SOLARDX Rating: 3/5 Dec 18, 2007 02:09 Send this review to a friend
Good but..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this wattmeter from the factory expecting it to be calibrated. However it was way off. When you buy a factory wattmeter you expect to receive a calibrated wattmeter and not need a precision dummy load and another good wattmeter for calibration. Mine was off and it was a huge pain in the rear end to get to the pots which are beyond the dept of precision watch size screwdrivers. The pots are almost impossible to reach. I got it right but i did not expect this from a Palstar product. This kind of thing i expect from a kit that i would build myself.

What is also confusing is that there no indication on the wattmeter if the switches should be in or out for the required settings.

There is also confusion about the power rating of this wattmeter. The web page states 1500 watts, they advertise it as a 3kw unit and the manual says 2000 watts. I would say looking at the size of the components in the coupler 1500 watts is probably appropriate.

I am always impressed with Palstar quality and own several other Palstar products. In this regard this wattmeter is very well constructed.

W2WO Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2006 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well constructed. I use the remote coupler box, which makes positioning the unit easier. Compared with other devices in the same price range, this one is excellent.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2006 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very impressed -- first class equipment!!

KB9BPF Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2006 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Best in its class  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used MJF and Daiwa cross-needle wattmeters and this one beats them easily. The op-amp peak-reading circuit in the WM150(M) does a very good job and its readings are consistent with my Bird 43 with peak reading kit. I use mine mobile and the large backlit display makes checking the tuning of my screwdriver antenna or the performance of my amp a snap.

I was going to buy another one at Hamvention for use in the shack but I bought N8LP's LP-100 instead. (See my enthusiastic review of that!) I still might get another WM150 for portable/field use.

KE4IZA Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2005 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Best Meter Around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Palstar WM150M is a mobile version of the WM150. The meters are exactly the same operational wise. The mobile version while the same size as the non mobile version comes with a mounting bracket and has a remote head on a 14' cable. While I am not going to use this meter mobile the remote head is a great feature. Allows me to leave the head on the floor and the meter on the desk. Completely eliminates the heavy coax pulling the meter off the desk problem. I find this meter very accurate. The dual needle meters are easy to read. Also the meter comes with a "wallwart" power adapter which not only powers the light but the meter itself. This meter is highly recommended. A high quality device for sure.