Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Honda EU1000i Portable Generator Help

Reviews Summary for Honda EU1000i Portable Generator
Honda EU1000i Portable Generator Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $789.95
Description: This super quiet generator is extremely portable (at only 29 lbs.) as well as fuel efficient, running up to 8.3 hours on a single tank of gas when used with the Eco-Throttle feature. This easy starting generator produces only 59dB of sound at 7 meters running at full load, which is less than common speech. The Honda Inverter Technology makes this generator ideally suited for use with sensitive electronics (e.g., computer, printer, and other sensitive electronic equipment) because the generator produces a clean sine wave of energy that prevents surging. To prevent any possible damage to the unit, the Oil Alert will shut the unit off when the oil drops below a safe operating level. The unit also has a DC terminal for use when charging 12-volt automotive type batteries. Two like EU series generators can be linked in parallel to increase available wattage through the generator outlets.
More info: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=eu1000i

You can write your own review of the Honda EU1000i Portable Generator.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2015 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Generator  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a baby brother to the Honda EU-2000i, which I've also reviewed. The EU-1000i is a great generator to use with amateur radio equipment while operating portable. I've used it with my Icom 706 MK2G in the field, and the 706 at full SSB power barely blips this generator when the latter is running in an Eco mode.

At about 32 lb loaded with fuel, it is very portable and easy to move around. It runs very quietly and one cannot hear it at all on the street in front of the house when it is running in the back yard. A half gallon of fuel lasts up to 8 or so hours when it is running on an Eco mode.

Use with ham rigs and switching power supplies is wonderful, as the electrical AC quality appears to be top notch. I have not noticed ANY additional RF noise in my 706 when using it with this generator. It is very easy to have a nice QSO on SSB while being seated less than 12 feet from the running generator. It is THAT quiet!

Some recommendations when using this generator:

1.) Always store the generator without fuel when not used for over a month. Siphon the fuel from the tank and drain the carburetor with the handy screw at its base (take off the side panel).

2.) Use pure 100% gasoline with no ethanol, if at all possible. 89 octane is better but it runs fine on 87 octane. Store your fuel with a fuel preservative, such as PRI-G.

3.) Use synthetic oil in 5W-30 grade (Amsoil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum are all good options here).

VA3CGT Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2008 06:36 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I work for Honda building there ultra reliable cars and believe they make the best products around, I give this little generator two thumbs up!

Great for camping and field day, except if your running a KW of power of course. Now if GMC, Ford or Chrysler made a portable generator it probably wouldn't even start. I digress.....

KC0SDV Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2007 18:30 Send this review to a friend
kc0sdv  Time owned: more than 12 months
No problem with mine. The previous problem was possibly caused by not using it or starting it on a monthly basis. CHeck the manual....it says to start about once a month under load.

K4SC Rating: 3/5 Feb 13, 2007 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Expensive Parts!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine several years ago, and except for lending it to a friend during an ice storm, it had had very little use. About two years ago I decided to take it in to a Honda dealer for a tune-up and oil change, as I wanted to start using it for field day.

When I went to pick it up they told me they hadn't been able to do a tune up because it was hunting excessively. They said the servo-board associated with the Econo-Mode needed replacement. I said, sure go ahead; by the way how much is this circuit board? Answer was $650.00 plus labor. I said WHAT? The whole generator only cost $795 new! The dealer said he was aware of that and that most people just bought a new one (he told me he had a "pile" of unrepaired units in the back). I said that I'd bet no one bought another Honda.

This was in New Orleans, prior to Katrina. I called Honda, suspecting that the dealer was trying to rip me off. Their response was that dealers could charge whatever they wanted for parts, but the cost quoted me was not out of line.

Well, long story short, I took back my generator and have been running it ever since, but not in the Econo mode. I works fine that way. If I ever need another generator, I won't buy one of these again mainly because of the absolutely rediculous price for parts. This is the only reason for the 3 rating, otherwise it would be a 5 in my book because it is so portable and quiet.

KF6IIU Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2006 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Super power in a light package  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This little package is almost perfect. It will power any 100W station, and goes anywhere. I have almost no RF noise - just a few minor S1 to S2 birdies here and there on HF. Unit is quiet enough that I can barely hear it through a closed window. Have used it to power an 850W starting load fridge and an 10A electric chainsaw. Easy to change the oil in it. The only spec not me on my "perfect" list is that the 12V output is UNREGULATED and rated at only 7A - it it designed for charging batteries, not powering your rig. The builtin carrying handle offers a tamperproof way to lock the set down with a bike cable lock.

10% of the itme I wish I had the 2KW version, but 90% of the time I'm glad I have the lighter, smaller 1KW version. A very well-designed package.

WA9AFM Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2006 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Little Giant!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using a friend's EU2000i, I decided to get the EU 1000i as a 'jump kit' generator. I decided on the 1000i as it is smaller, only weighs 26 pounds and is quiet as a mouse. Got a great deal on eBay. You can speak at a normal level and be heard even standing right next to the unit. My first use for the 1000i was for a neighborhood association workday; I had hedge trimming detail. Everyone was impressed as to how quite the unit is; the electric hedge trimmer was louder than the 1000i!! The only 'snakey' thing about the 1000i I've found so far is filling it with oil. The fill port is not hard to get to, but it only requires .25 quart of oil so it fills quickly as I found out after putting about a pint of oil on my outbuilding floor. It's size and light weight make it idea to put in the trunk for Field Day, JOTA demo's, or emergency deployments.

W6GDK Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2006 09:31 Send this review to a friend
great for emcomm work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this little generator just after the big fires here in San Diego in 2003. I felt that a generator would be a nice supplement to the solar panels I have ususally used for ARES work, particularly when the sky is filled with smoke and the solar panels become ineffective.

I generally use a noise suppression/surge protected power strip with this generator, so I have not noticed the noise issues others have even when using a switching power supply (Samlex 1223). The long run time of 8 hours with a half gallon of gas makes it handy on overnight operations. The small size fits easily in the back of my Geo Tracker and it is so quiet I don't need to place it 300 feet away from the operating site to reduce noise.

It isn't big enough to run a refrigerator, so I limit it to running lights, radios etc.

KD7VEM Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2005 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Good, but needs a line filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very good portable generator for everything but running radios. Itís lightweight and very efficient with the 0.6 gallons of gasoline it holds. Itís even very quiet on the radio spectrum for those listening on radios nearby, which will pick up only the ubiquitous spark impulse noise of the engine (a few S units worth, not interfering much with communications).

But when I plug my 12v power supply (Radio Shack 25A or Samlex SEC 1223--the RS unit is 1 S-unit quieter) into the 120v outlet I get all kinds of noise in the radio (typically S9) in the low-frequency bands (still S7 in 10m though). When I add a 20-turn choke in the extension cord at the generator end the noise drops to S4-5. Iíve tried a two-stage brute-force filter at the generator 120v output (Delta 10DRDG3 having its case tied to the generator ground point and floating) and ground isolation with no effect on the noise. Grounding the generator also helps bring the noise does a couple S units. The noise is present with coax or balanced feedline.

I finally resolved the hash problem by putting an AC line filter (the Delta mentioned above) on the 12v line from the power supply (I didnít ground the case as the hash at that stage should be all common mode). Noise drops to S1 or below.

Looking at the reviews of the 2000W and 3000W generators of the same class (where some users claim no noise at all, some report very bad hash, many havenít checked) Iíve come to the conclusion that some rigs (including the power supply) are immune to the line hash. I havenít checked the line output with an oscilloscope, but the simplistic circuit diagram provided in the manual leads me to think the inverter is a switching type and is likely kicking out all kinds of square-wave harmonics that are difficult to eliminate. The inverter electronics are potted in epoxy at the end of the engine, so I canít tell whatís inside. The generator output, even the filtered output, must be interacting in a very bad way with both of my power supplies.

So I wonít give it a 5 because you must buy additional components to make it work properly, but after the line filter is installed in the 12v line, it behaves like a 5/5 generator should.