Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | SD by EI5DI Help

Reviews Summary for SD by EI5DI
SD by EI5DI Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Freeware
Description: Contest logger
More info: http://www.ei5di.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the SD by EI5DI.

G4ATA Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2014 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Top notch-KISS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used SD again in this year's CQ WW. Once again it was faultless and easy to use....how many bells and whistles do you need when you're at the pointy end of a pileup in a contest? All you need to do is log the QSOs and exchange information easily and quickly....a piece of cake with SD.
M4D (aka G4ATA)
Great work Paul, keep it up. ;-)

VE1JS Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Works - Not Bloatware  Time owned: months
I have been using SD for contest logging since 1993, when I first used it's brother SDI (now included in SD) for the first IOTA contest.
It is simple, straightforward, easy to use, has a very small footprint on the HDD and has NO multiple key strokes. Works perfectly with just about ANY radio for rig control and CW sending.
Unless you are into multi-op, multi-transmitter contesting, you should be using SD. It will even handle SO2R, though I have not tried it.
For the single-op contester, this is simply the BEST bar none!

G4ATA Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2014 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Top contest software   Time owned: more than 12 months
Used this for quite a few years now. Always operates faultlessly, simple to use and cannot fault it. I've tried other contest logging software but nothing comes up to the mark as SD does.

G2YC Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Simultaneously Simple & Sophisticated  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a new contester in 2007, I was weened on SD or Super Duper as it was once known. At the time I didn't know any contest software but my club used SD and the contest was IOTA--for which SD is originally designed. Later I saw there were others but most are more complex than is needed. All you want is the simplest of commands with only the necessary extras. Although the user interface might look clunky, the software is clean, simple and robust. Don't be deceived--everything you need is there. And if you have a problem or a fix is required, the answer comes direct from the designer Paul. He no longer charges for the software (it is now free of charge), but I send him money because I don't want to see the day when SD is no longer available. Try it and see for yourself.

G2JL Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2013 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Any problems are yours !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loathe contests. I get roped in to partake in some, & started using SD years ago. Having learned to "RTFM" (user advice) I can't see why other software exists. Operator-understanding difficulties are resolved by Paul, with no fuss, & IF one found a bug, I'm sure he'd fix it PDQ. He is not Epson, Microsoft or Virgin Media. Rig control & WINKEY interfacing are excellent. Unfortunately, there is no command to improve propagation...

G4PKP Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Probably nothing better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Strange that a couple of people give it a bad review! (opposition possibly)? KISS is the operative word. It couldn't be simpler to use. Most of the time all you've gotta do is enter the other guy's serial number. Maybe that's too much of an effort for some people. As for 25 euros, waddya want? Free? No such thing as a free lunch. You pay peanuts, you know the rest!
Superb backup and practically every contest supported of every major and minor contest, Cheap at twice the price, you'll never use another one.
John G4PKP

VE3CUI Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 13:17 Send this review to a friend
I Absolutely LOVE It!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was oh-so-slow getting into the computerized era of Cabrillo log submission, but based upon someone's suggestion, I tried "SD"---and was instantly hooked.

I use it strictly "post-contest" here, & find that that suits all of my needs perfectly.

A couple of years ago, however, our Windows-based computer bit the dust---foolishly, I replaced it with an iMac from Apple...and so ended my love affair with SD...

But fast-forward to Christmas 2012 when Santa left a new HP laptop under the tree with Windows 8 on it! Needless-to-say, I've been practising-up on my "SD" skills ever since that laptop's arrival here.

Imagine that: getting a stand-alone computer, devoted exclusively to "SD"...! That's how much I like that programme, & explains why I haven't submitted ANY contest entries in the intervening two years...!

N6HA Rating: 1/5 Oct 30, 2011 13:36 Send this review to a friend
not worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a text-only ANSI interface that runs in an 80x27 terminal window and looks like old DOS software. The webpage alludes to some kind of graphical interface by calling it a "windows contest logger" but doesn't provide any screenshots. I was very disappointed when I saw the text-only interface. The price of the software is insulting. Who would pay 25 euros for this?

KF7DTQ Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2011 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Keep looking!  Time owned: months
Tried the demo, downloaded it, tried to work with it...just was not for me. Too steep of a learning curve and a sub-standard gui that is slow and clunky to work with. Im sure once you invest the time it drives just fine, but there are other choices that are better organized and save you time logging during a contest. This one, for me, was a struggle to get up and running on and the demo log just didnt demo it very well at all. Very surprised considering all the great reviews on here, but I supposes its a case of different strokes for different folks.

GI4NKB Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Simply outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this software for many contests and special event stations and it has never failed me. It supports more contests than you can shake a stick at, it is slick and intuitive, has a small foot print, runs on just about anything, supports the Winkey seamlessly and has a flawless implementation of ESM (enter sends message). It interfaces with just about any rig out there - I've used it with Kenwoods, Icoms, Yaesus, Elecrafts and the Flex 5000, it is updated regularly and support from the author himself is prompt and friendly. Once you sit down to use this software you will at once appreciate that the author is himself an active contester and DXpeditioner not one single keystroke is superfluous, something you learn to appreciate if you're at the sharp end of a pileup :) If you plan on taking part in any contest in the unassisted category it doesn't get any better than this. Thanks Paul!