Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | SD by EI5DI Help

Reviews Summary for SD by EI5DI
SD by EI5DI Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Key purchase required
Description: Contest logger
More info: http://www.ei5di.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the SD by EI5DI.

DV1UBY Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Simple yet powerful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll give EI5DI's SD 8 thumbs-up!!! Its easy to use and great for amateur radio contest. It's reliable, simple, and powerful. You can use this software in a less powerful PC.

K8MFO Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2009 03:45 Send this review to a friend
Simple But POWERFUL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few weeks back I first used the Super Duper (SD) contest logging program, which is the creation of Paul - EI5DI. That experience was in a state QSO party. On Friday I noted that SD has a dedicated module for BWQP, which is a low key, but fun activity I downloaded a "list" add-on from an Internet URL, and was having difficulty in loading the feature into SD. This was not a program fault, but an Internet anomaly, perhaps associated with AOL. I fired off a quick email to Paul, and he surely provides the ultimate in customer service, just like Elecraft! After Paul got me straightened away, the program was an absolute joy to use. Because of my first "RF into PC" problem ever, I changed the program from my desktop to a notebook computer, This went quite smoothly and I hardly missed a beat.

Did I mention that SD is a Windows based program and works on platforms from Windows 95 to the brand new Windows 7? It supports radio control, something I have never used, and many other features, including SO2R. About the only thing it doesn't support is linking to a Packet Cluster, something I don't use anyway. Post contest you can prepare a Cabrillo file, ADIF, and other formats. Those functions work very smoothly. Oh by the way, you don't need nor does SD support a mouse. I don't want one on my operating desk to add to the clutter, so that suits me fine.

SD supports virtually any contest you can imagine. I fully realize that this is not news to many European and some USA contesters, but I just wanted to share my very positive experience with this great program. I endorse it heartily! Paul makes no money on the program -- its's FREE, so I can make my recommendation without a "financial interest qualifier". Of course, as with any FREE program, users may wish to contribute to the authors who have worked so hard.

Personally I plan to use SD in many of the "off brand" contests, and maybe in the "majors.

Thanks for a great program, Paul!

Don K8MFO

EA1BP Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb!!!!!!! (and free!!) What else??  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used the SD program during the last CQ WW SSB 2009 and I cant complain about this program. Very well done and so easy to use.

SD will be in my PC long time...THANKS EI5DI!

KC4GFW Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2009 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this for the 2009 IARU HF Championship and worked great. No issues running on Windows 7 x64 at all. Will be using SD from now on for all contests

EI6GRB Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Lovely logger - it's nice and simple.

Rig interface worked first time and it has every contest you will probably ever need in it.

You will need to print out the pdf user guide though and keep it to hand for the first few runs as some of the commands you will not know where they are at first.

Once you get up and running though this one is hard to beat, it's fast and simple and best of all it's free! Well done to EI5DI!

PA3GQD Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2008 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Looking good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not really into contesting, so I need something simple. This is it! Even I can use it....
Set up and manual are simple but very functional. Rig control is simple to set up and works perfect. No useless (at least to me) functions and cluttering with nested menus.
Support of practically all contests is here. All export formats are there.
The DOS-box layout is not exciting, but after getting used is what you need. No Windows crashes, I suspect :~)
Perfect and free. Try it!

LZ1VB Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2007 01:45 Send this review to a friend
Hats off to Paul!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great logger! There is no place and hands for a mouse during a contest and EI5DI understands that.
I only wish he had written an everyday logger

JJ1BDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent software not only for contesting but for other activi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tested SD on ARRL DX CW 2007 Contest, and SDX on other daily CW operations,
with K1EL's WinKeyer USB using Winkey V21 chip.

SD's no-mouse and simple design philosophy attracted me, because I was sick and
tired of the feature-rich and too-many-graphic logging programs available for Wi
ndows. Of course I suggest you first to consult the manual (of only 18 pages) t
o configure and learn the flow of making and recording contacts, but once you se
t up the software you don't have to deal with too many commands. Switching betw
een running and S&P modes is equally simple and easy to go back and forth. In m
ost QSOs, all you've got to do is to type the Space key, and that impressed me a
lot.

While SD is specifically configured for a contest, SDX can be used for other dai
ly activities, including chatting and calling in a pileup, evey if you are not i
n a situation to work a pileup. Though you can't log much on SDX, it works very
well as a keyboard-sending interface for Winkey.

I should also note that Paul, EI5DI is very enthusiastic on supporting the user
community.

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2006 08:34 Send this review to a friend
This is the one.......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have used CT during the CQWW-SSB for a number of times now. Did some part time operating during the CQWW-2006 (Oct), downloaded SD the night before the contest and was amazed at how easy it was to use from never having seen the programme before, worked 109 Countries and logged without a glitch. I have worked major pile ups during the CQWW in earlier years, SD will cope with these conditions without question. All relevant information is displayed on one screen, no pressing keys to bring up critical updated info.
Having used other contest logging programmes which I have had to pay for, SD is not only free, it is undoubtedly the best by far.
Thanks to Paul for this brilliant service.
Cheers, John GM6TVR / GM0FQV

G4FSU Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2005 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Use and Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used SD & SDX for a couple of years now & have have settled on this after trying a number of other programmes.

Advantages:
Very intuitive & easy to configure
Supports mosts contests
Excellent for DXpeditions (SDX)
Very few key presses required when running/logging
Seemless integration with Winkey (also works without)
Runs on almost any hardware
Well supported via user group
Regularly updated
Free

Disadvantages:
It's only a logger/contest scorer - don't look for other features!

It's not a replacement for your main shack logging programme & it only has basic rig control, but as a stand-alone for contests or expeditions, it's the best I've tried.