Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Garmin GPS V Help

Reviews Summary for Garmin GPS V
Garmin GPS V Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $321.41 U.S.D. (for domestic US m
Description: The GPS V is one versatile navigator that delivers automatic routing, detailed mapping and WAAS capability — all in a compact handheld GPS. It comes with the MapSource® City Select CD, which gives you access to detailed street-level maps with locations of restaurants, hotels and other services. Use the GPS V to look up a location and it will automatically calculate a route and guide you to your destination with turn-by-turn directions and audible beeps that alert you to upcoming turns. You can even switch the display from horizontal, for mounting on a bike or a vehicle dash, to vertical for handheld use.
More info: http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/

You can write your own review of the Garmin GPS V.

K3GM Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2008 05:17 Send this review to a friend
6 Years and still running....  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Garmin GPS V is the Icom 2AT of the GPS world. It will run perhaps forever. Mine is 6 years old and remains on constantly, yet it still works fine. Only the backlighting has dimmed somewhat over the years It has many features that my Garmin nuvi 750 does not, and is the primary reason it remains on my dash along side the nuvi. No longer made, but if you find one at a hamfest, grab it.

ZR6BDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2006 23:22 Send this review to a friend
GPS V works perfectly with APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Garmin GPS V is perfectly suited to APRS. I use it with the Kenwood TM-D700 and the two are nicely matched. Remember to switch the GPS V between "NMEA" mode and "Garmin" mode in its setup menu to either run APRS or download maps from your PC respectively, otherwise there will be no data transfer. I have recently upgraded to the Garmin GPS 276C because the GPS V monochrome display is small and difficult to read off-road in a 4x4.

KC7NIL Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2005 13:14 Send this review to a friend
My wife says it's the best toy I ever bought!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially bought this for use with APRS. For that it works great most of the time. In a few uses the web site had me way off for a short segment of my trip. Not sure where the goof was but for most of the time it works great with APRS. It even allows coords to be feed back in as waypoints. I don't use that feature since I could care less where everyone else is! Ha! My wife gets easily lost on the roads, I have a waypoint called HOME. Wherever she is, if she's lost, she just tells it to FIND HOME and it calculates the fastest route and walks her all the way home. If she misses a turn it will automatically recalculate with a new route and continue on the way. If you ever plan on traveling a large area of the U.S., get the Deluxe version. I've used it (with APRS) on trips to California, Arizona, Utah, and Texas without a hitch. My relatives can follow my progress and know when we are getting close.