Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Ameritron ADL-1500 1.5KW Dummy load w/oil Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ADL-1500 1.5KW Dummy load w/oil
Ameritron ADL-1500 1.5KW Dummy load w/oil Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $$69.95
Description: Ameritron's ADL-1500 legal limit oil filled dummy load lets you run the maximum legal limit of 1500 watts for a full five minutes. The ADL-1500 has high quality industrial grade transformer oil (no PCB) and a heavy duty 50 Ohm resistor. Ameritron's Legal Limit oil filled dummy load gives you SWR under 1.2 to 30 MHz and low SWR to 400 MHz. Durable, sturdy gallon can measures 7 1/2 (height) by 6 5/8 (depth) inches.

More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=ADL-1500

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ADL-1500 1.5KW Dummy load w/oil.

W3ZV Rating: 3/5 Feb 26, 2014 23:00 Send this review to a friend
QC needs help.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took delivery of this dummy load today. When I opened the can to add the oil, I noticed that the resistor assembly was bent to on side of the can. Further inspection revealed that the small lower right angle bracket was also bent. I checked the position of the resistor and found that the top was not in the spring clamp that is part of the circuit. I had to disassemble the metal case around the resistor, reinsert the resistor in its clamp and bend the upper and lower brackets back into alignment.

The unit was double boxed and well packed. There was no damage to the outer box, so my assumption is that the unit left the factory in this condition. Returning the unit to serviceable condition was not a big deal. Just annoying. This is a simple device and I fully expect that it will perform as specified.

KG4LUQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2011 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's supposed to do!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased from DX Engineering. Inspected on arrival and all was well, filled with oil and works well. No complaints. Recommended.

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2008 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Two Years, No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had no problems in two years of service. Use it at least 5 times a day. Takes a kilowatt without a whimper. If the can ever leaks I'll just buy another can.

MW0ZZD Rating: 1/5 Jun 26, 2008 04:07 Send this review to a friend
V poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only received this product one day ago.Dead short.Had the hassle of emptying out the oil before returning item.
Sorry to report MFJ just is not up to it any longer.

K6IOU Rating: 4/5 Jun 15, 2008 14:14 Send this review to a friend
I was skeptical  Time owned: more than 12 months
when I purchased this dummy load. I went with the more expensive Ameritron rather than the MFJ because I REFUSE to have anything in my shop with the MFJ label. I know they are owned by the same company, but until MFJ gets its QC together, I want none of their MFJ-labeled stuff. If 'any' other company made an oil-filled dummy load I would have purchased it . . . but couldn't find any. I wish I had purchased a Heathkit d-load years ago when I had the chance.

As others have mentioned the 'paint can' material is thin. I placed mine into a pyrex pie plate to catch any potential leaks. So far, 4 years later, no problems.

Gotta admit it works!

KD5NCO Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2007 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Can too thin  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was seriously concerned about the very light tin used on the lid of the "paint can". Fortunately that part held up well so far. The resistor and holder assy did not need post sale final work (like much of the Ameritron/MFJ stuff I own) so they got up to a 3. The 2 point de-rating is because leaking oil on my floor. Bottom crimp for base of the "paint can" is seeping oil. Went to Sherwin Williams and got a free "real" 1 gallon pain can and poured the oil in, put on the lid and back in business. Did not call or write Ameritron/MFJ as I do not want a factory replacement pail

AA6CC Rating: 1/5 Mar 10, 2006 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Poor construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Ameritron which was more expensive than the MFJ because the dealer said it was better quality. Checked the resistance with a meter and found a dead short. Disassembled and found the resistor assembly had been installed wrong with a support bracket shorting it out. Had to unsolder and rotate the assembly. Assembly obviously not inspected. Appears whoever assembled unit didn't understand what they were doing. Can and lid of unit very thin metal...not imprssive for the price.