Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | MFJ 93X0 Cub QRP xcvr Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 93X0 Cub QRP xcvr
MFJ 93X0 Cub QRP xcvr Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Single band CW QRP tcvr.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ 93X0 Cub QRP xcvr.

WE5F Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 22:40 Send this review to a friend
End Result Impresses  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have to give the MFJ-9330 Cub transceiver kit a "5" for value/price ratio. It's old-fashioned simple fun to assemble with modern surface mount complexity. The end product exceeded my expectations. Signals seem to pop out of a quiet background. The drift noted by others settles down quickly. The RX portion of my kit came to life and aligned perfectly. But no transmit until I discovered an extra capacitor (C52) the instructions did not say to install. An errata would have saved some aggravation! A nice little performer, needs a stronger sidetone with adjustable level. Vernier tuning would also be an upgrade. Eham please revise the price.

W3FIS Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these - 20 and 30 meter versions. Quite sensitive, easy to assemble, and fun to work with. Tuning is a little "touchy," but a larger knob solves that. Drift issue is minimal, IMHO.

73 /paul W3FIS

KE5LZL Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Poor soldering  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've built the 9315 15 meter...but the receiver part did not pick up the CW as would the Icom..
found that the C-21 surface mount was not soldered properly and that either the one or all of the 3 crystals were bad as well...
I had to package back up and send it back for repairs.. I should of bought the kit all ready built... That did it , as of now I'm no longer building any type of transceiver .. this is the 3rd time I've spent a lot of money on these things and come to find out it's a bad component or parts missing as well..
The only luck I had was with a 20 meter cub last year. For that one, I gave it a thumbs up. but this time was the third time I had an issue.. Buyers beware when you purchase any kit that 7 in 10 kits, there will be some king of issue..

W1JKA Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2012 04:20 Send this review to a friend
2 year Cub update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two year Cub update from original post.I have since added a 4sqrp hypermite filter and small 10:1 vernier tuning dials to my 20/40m cubs (a 100% positve difference).Drift problem solved by turning rig on,homebrewing a cup of coffee,settling in,scanning freq.and 15 mins.later drift gone.With improvement of my daily propagation and grey line knowledge I continue to have great dx results especially since I now have a homebrew 20m hex beam.A 5/5 for the budget minded,fun seeking,non egotistical green type ham.

K6EIL Rating: 3/5 Nov 25, 2012 17:50 Send this review to a friend
DXing with the MFJ 9315 is a lot of fun.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for QRPers considering purchasing the 15M version of the Cub. I wanted a small, portable 15M QRP rig to supplement various QRP rigs that I have for other bands. My particular interest was to use the Cub for DXing. Bottom line: the rig is a great little performer, even, as in my case, with an inverted V antenna 25 feet high. In the week before the CQ WW DX Contest (November 2012), I worked 33 DXCC entities. In casual operating in the contest, I worked 28 more entities, bringing my total to 61 in a 10-day period. I managed WAC in the contest. Output power was 900 mW into the inverted V. That said, MFJ may wish to consider making a few changes regarding the design and construction of the rig. First, as other have noted, the Cub needs 20-30 minutes of warm-up time to reduce drift, which is quite noticeable after turning on the rig. The use of other types of capacitors for C6-C7 would do a lot to increase FQ stability; see W1HUE's good blogs regarding this matter. It's surprising that, after all these years, MFJ hasn't supplied different capacitors in the parts bag, even if it meant $1-2 dollars in extra cost to purchasers. Secondly, kit builders such as myself really, really would appreciate a plastic tuning wand in the parts bag. This would add little or nothing to cost. The wand could have a flat blade on one end and a hex on the other, to allow for easy tuning of the slug coils and trimmers. It is possible to align the rig with a small Allen wrench and metal screwdrivers, but it takes a lot of time and patience and there always is the danger of damaging the slug coils. And thirdly, the rig would be easier to use, ergonomically, if the volume control knob were smaller and the tuning knob were larger. I replaced both knobs that came with the kit. Otherwise, the rig was easy to assemble, and it fired up without any problems needing correcting. Output was exactly 1.0 W, as advertised, though I cranked down power a tad to 900 mW, for the sheer satisfaction of working DX (and ultimately making DXCC on 15M) with "less than one watt." Some may complain, incidentally, about the lack of selectivity on receive. The Cub does not include any kind of sharp filtering in its design. But my feeling is that this is a $100 rig, and you can't have everying at that price (except, maybe, better capacitors for C6-C7, a plastic tuning wand, and different control knobs). During the DX Test, the audio filter that Old Timers always used, that is, the one between the ears, definitely worked overtime. As indicated above, though, I made many DX contacts. An honest estimate is that I worked about 90% of the stations that I called in the contest. ...Hope this helps, for anyone considering buying the 15M Cub. 73/72, and Good DXing.

K9DP Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2012 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little performer!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am new to QRP. So I thought I would give the MFJ 9340 a try................It works fantastic..It has a nice little sounding receiver and I have not gotten any bad reports on tone....It drifts a tad but after a 30 minute warm up I have not received any complaints.....Well worth the cost and effort to put together. Dan, K9DP

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
MFJ's simple triumph  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't add much to these positive reviews. I've owned 4 of these little guys, the last being from a nice fellow on eBay .

The 80 meter kit is on my desk, ready for assembly.
I've bought many MFJ items; the simple small wire tuner
has been a steady reliable performer for over 20 yrs.
I can't say a thing about MFJ service except......I've never needed to call them yet!
The cub's deficiencies seem minor: I can live with the drifting
VFO that eventually stabilizes, the hair-trigger VFO knob that requires a light touch, the lack of a BNC connector,et al.
My only challenge has been to wrestle with a stereo-plug
that you must use for a small speaker. These rigs will power a small speaker nicely in a quiet room. In the car, not so much.
There's no point in comparing my cubs with my Argonaut V:
apples vs oranges.
I can't think of a good reason not to have one of these guys.

HB9OBZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2011 07:42 Send this review to a friend
NICE LITTLE QRP RIG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ORDERED THE 20M WIRED VERSION AND, DESPITE MY POOR ANTENNA CONDITIONS (HALF G5RV MOUNTED VERY LOW ON THE GROUND), I SAY WITH PLEASURE THAT IT OUTPERFORMED MY EXPECTATIONS. EUROPEAN QSO'S WITH EASE AS WELL AS CN8WW AND A FEW US STATIONS HEARD. I NOTICED ONLY 2 DRAWBACKS: 1. YOU HAVE TO SWITCH ON THE CUB 10 MINUTES BEFORE ATTEMPTING A QSO IN ORDER TO AVOID FREQ. DRIFTS AND 2. YOU MUST BE VERY SENSITIVE WHEN TUNING ESPECIALLY WITH WEAK STATIONS. A TEN TURN POT WOULD BE MUCH BETTER. BUT YOU CAN LIVE WITH IT ! I LOVE THIS LITTLE QRP RIG AND IT IS WORTH THE PRICE. YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH IT !

WB0FDJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2010 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Simplicity....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered this radio because I had decided to get into kit building and needed to log some hours with the soldering iron. This filled the bill. I apparently had better luck with mine than others: once assembled it worked without drama or surprise. As others have noted at first theres some drift, after 30 minutes it settles down. I get about 2 watts out. In retrospect this is a very simple kit to build and I would recommend it to the ham who hasn't done much building. I've made quite a few fun contacts with my 20 meter Cub and usually run it off a small 12 v battery pack that I ordered for my smaller QRP rigs. It's a real gas to build your own stuff and got me started in building.

KU4UV Rating: 0/5 Apr 12, 2010 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Be afraid, be very afraid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Gee, I really wanted to like this kit, but after seeing all of the tombstoned SMD components on the circuit board, I am very reluctant to even finish building and testing it. The circuit board of the kit has about 5 different SMD capacitors that are not even completely soldered to the circuit board. One end is soldered to the board, while the other end is standing on it's end! MFJ quality and QC rears it's ugly head once again. I have contacted MFJ and requested a return shipping label. I will be requesting a full refund of my money from MFJ, and wish me luck as to getting a refund. I just can't in good faith recommend this kit after seeing the poor quality of this circuit board. To those who have built and are enjoying this kit, God love ya. I know now why everyone knock's MFJ's quality, because they deserve their poor reputation. It is really a crap shoot whenever you purchase an MFJ product as to whether or not you will get a dud. This is in no way knocking Mr. Littlefield who designed the kit. I contacted Mr. Littlefield and he was very helpful. I just can't recommend this kit at all. I will purchase a kit from Oak Hills Research or Ten-Tec. I can trust Ten-Tec because I know they will help me out if I have a question or need a replacement part. I think I have purchased my last MFJ product.