Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-170 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-170
Yaesu VX-170 Reviews: 125 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Same chassis as the VX-150. WaterPROOF. 1,000 memories. 1400mAH NiMH batt pack.

Preliminary specs indicated "1,000 conventional memories." In reality, the VX-170 sports 200 conventional memories (plus a Home channel, band edges, WX channels).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-170.

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2012 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a good solid radio that has preformed as expected over the last 6 years.

WA1SEO Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2012 06:14 Send this review to a friend
RX sensitivity may be lacking  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a nicely crafted radio. I like the heft of it more than my VX-150. I don't think the receiver is quite as sensitive as my other Yaesu HT's. At first I did think it had to do with programming the squelch setting but upon setting it to WIDE OPEN, it is not as sensitive. I can fully understand distant signals on my VX-150, FT-60 and VX-7R but can't quite make them out on this radio. I bought this radio because I used a friends but when we compared his VX-170 to my other radios, his wound up lacking in sensitivity like mine. For local repeater work it is not an issue,however. Battery life is good and I would recommend it but be aware of what appears to be a sensitivity issue.

KD0JWY Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hello this is KD0JWY. I have used this radio and it is almost as good if not better than the VX-150. I love that the buttons are bigger, that the screen is bigger, and they kept the same Procedures in the programming like the VX-150. I had to sell this to upgrade to the FT-60R but if I needed another single band HT, I would either go for the VX-150, or the VX-170. Thanks again from KD0JWY

EMRAD Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2011 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Rugged HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my VX-170 in 07.
Still going.
Agree about the dinky belt clip... I never bothered to put it on the radio.
Tough rig. Passed the drop test that broke the stock antenna. Easy to read display & loud audio are two big pluses.
I've seen both the numb mic fixes, wouldn't recommend tearing the waterproofing or messing with the deviation. Best fix for that is the external mic (I'd sacrifice one of those before I would the radio).

I Noticed what appears to be a firmware bug in the VX-170 / FT-277 series radios... revolves around the VFO. Sometimes when I go into FVO mode I'll find the frequency I'd put in there gone and all zeros or some number out of range and an ERROR message, re-entering the frequency puts it back in business, I've never had a failure bad enough to necessitate resetting the processor.
Oddly enough, this seems to happen more often after the radios have been near running computers/PCs... have no idea why.

Cool radio!

Emrad

KD8IFJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 12:12 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
good radio , i dont need great audio when using a hand held anyway ,just want the other station to understand me ,dont care if its not great quality audio , just want it to work , so for 100 bucks its a great rig , goes under water to , i dont poke holes in the mic membrane either cuz i want it to be water proof , i also like low audio cuz outside i tend to yell and over diviate the repeater anyway so low audio on a ht. good for me .

KF7AZX Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2010 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Great 2M Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio as one of my first radios about a year ago. Some may say it has a cheap clip, and I'll tell you why. Its poorly designed. That and the headset jack are the only things I dont like. It is a very durable radio, and water proof all the way around! Because it is water proof it has a membrane over the built in mic, which makes it so that you have to speak quite loudly into the radio. The headset jack is like an odd-ball jack. Its like a 1/8" headphone jack with threads at the top. I had an earbud that was made especially for it but because of the twisting to screw it in the wires were pulled out, inside. With a little fiddling, I was able to get a regular pair of headphones to work so that I could hear it at an ARES event. The rubber duck could be better. It has a wider range than just 144-148 which i like because I can listen to the police and fire dept as well as weather channels. Yaesu did a great job of making a durable and water proof, but simple 2M radio.

OH1FRA Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2010 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is very good rig but after i do that mic gain fix i hit mhz up when i m on "sql u/d" and squelch is FULLY open and i dont gei it back to normal. Can somebody tell me default hex codes and how i get squelch to back normal.

W6ZPC Rating: 3/5 Nov 21, 2009 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Failed after less than two years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had I written this 24 hours ago I would have given it five of five. But after less than two years of service, my VX 170 failed yesterday morning. The first thing I noticed was the on screen voltage display which read 3.3 volts. Figuring the batteries had been drained, I plugged in my 3-amp power supply. The reading rose to 5.5. Removing the battery pack from the radio didn't change the reading with the power supply. The audio on receive remained strong and I felt that perhaps the circuitry which provides the voltage display was faulty. I tried to transmit, but the signal was weak. Later in the evening when I checked it on a watt meter it failed to transmit at all. I measured the voltage coming out of the battery pack, it was normal. I measured the voltage at the end of the cable connecting the power supply to the radio, and it was normal. I tried the radio using a car cord with the same result. As far as I can tell I have a dead HT. It gave me great service for less than two years and as I said before, had I written this 24 hours ago I would have given it five of five, but now...

VE6JMK Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2009 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Not quite as rugged as expected  Time owned: more than 12 months
Until the FT-270 eclipsed this, it is my favourite radio. I use it often at work to stand in for my issued Motorola HT1250. It is probably not quite as rugged as many may think. I cracked the case to pieces on one that was on my duty belt when I rolled on it on hard ground. Another succumbed after being left in a trunk for a week that had previously had some spilled calcium chloride in it. Although the trunk had been vacummed right after, the humidity mixed with the few remaining grains of calcium chloride were enough to corrode the components so that it would only Tx for a few meters. In the end I was able to combine the guts from the broken one with the case from the corroded one, and made one good radio from the two of them. Don't get me wrong, I fully realized that both events were my fault, I'm just pointing out that this radio (and also the FT-270), may not be quite as rugged as some presume, EG, like the much pricier HT1250 perhaps.

KJ4AUR Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2009 10:45 Send this review to a friend
A good HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owners of a VX-170, like myself, will experience low mic gain and modulation due to the waterproof membrane over the microphone which attenuates your voice. Often times it's necessary to "eat the mic" to get decent audio gain.

While some suggest disassembly and removing the membrane (which compromises the water resistance) there is another way to resolve this by adjusting the TX deviation in the Service Menu.

I have personally done this and the difference is huge. I am able to speak comfortably at a distance of 5 to 6 inches, whereas before, I had to speak loudly and "eat the mic".

I have confirmed I do not splatter wider than ~15 KHz, it's my understanding that the TX deviation is set to ~2.4 KHz and this adjustment sets it more closely to at/below ~5 KHz.

To do this:

Press and hold the PTT and MONI switches on the side of the VX-170 while turning the radio on. Once on, release PTT and MONI.
Press the [UP (MHz)], then [0 (SET)], then [2 (CODE)], then [2 (CODE)], then [MR (SKIP)].

If successful, the LCD will say SETRST. If not, turn the HT off and try again.

Tune to 146.050 MHz and set the TX power to LOW.

Hit the [F] key, then keep hitting the [MR] key until A03 appears in the top left of the LCD, it's in a small font, not the main display font. Turn the outer dial until the reading is set to DEV.3FH, the first means Deviation, the second is a HEX number that will change when you rotate the knob. Once set to DEV.3FH hit the PTT then the [F] key to save it. Turn off the radio and you're done.